Skip to content

Discuss This Bikers take over motorways in EU demo General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bikers take over motorways in EU demo

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bikers take over motorways in EU demo

Thousands of motorcyclists took over motorways for half-an-hour on Sunday in protest over EU plans. Bikers made their feelings known with go-slow rides taking place simultaneously from around 100 starting points across the country.  Processions of hundreds of motorcyclists rode at 45mph for 10 miles in the EU Hands Off Biking demonstrations, organised by the Motorcycle Action Group. In London, police stopped other traffic as...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 September 2011 10:04)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Andy - I wouldn't like to guess how many there were in attendance (500?) but we took over 100sq metres of carpark solid with bikes... the sheer numbers of bikes & those still arriving at 1pm would have made a briefing almost impossible.. I arrived 30mins early & saw no signs of one... we had a police car & outrider but they were mostly ineffectual at the back... about 11 miles in the bike came up waving bikes into the middle lane but I don't think he made it to the front before we dispersed.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
RaceCansR4Chavs

Jul 09

I did not go to any of the events i didn't realise it was on. But I have seen the photos of the R6 that was rammed, By a frustrated car driver on one of the runs. Hope the lad gets out of hospital soon.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Well that worked...NOT!!!

Well I've been in touch with quite a few car driving mates (all utter petrol heads) and, you guessed it, none had a clue what all this was about :-(  An utter lack of any media attention has pretty much killed this for us.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

M25 Protest video... with music

Thought I would spice it up with a bit of music... here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFs2IQYlAt8

Peace brothers and sisters

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

Re: Well that worked...NOT!!!

Yes, unfortunately peaceful protests rarely attract much media attention, even if attended by tens of thousands.

Reply to this Topic
NutMagnet

Jul 09

NutMagnet says:

I've got a backache.....

I've got a backache from being bent over and taking it up the A*** from €urope and our own government.

This is not about bikers or biking it's about all our liberties. They target the smallest group 1st and before you know it these proposed measures will filter down to all vehicles.

As for the compulsory Hi-Vis look up "Anita Zaffke" or better stil google "Anita Zaffke Hunt painting nails" If they ain't looking what good is Hi-Vis..

I'm quite happy to to be forced to wear Hi-Vis.. But only on the condition that if I'm rear ended again the car driver who "Didn't see me" faces a much higher penalty and a criminal record and has his/her license revoked and requires re-taking the test.

If they need to push these measures through then it's saying our roads are not safe for motorcyclist.. and not because of motorcyclist.. Fix the problem and don't attack the innocent parties..

Reply to this Topic
sovrec

Sep 11

sovrec says:

Why O Why - Manchester Demo

A fantastic turn out for bikers, but a poor showing from MAG - I attended the Manchester M62 demo (Birch) which was marshalled by the Police. They were pretty relaxed at the rally point and blocked off the motorway entry points along the route so we all had a clear road. 

But MAG ? No speech, no organisation, no leaflets - the only flyer I got was for a denim fetish rock night. No-one really knew what was going on, or how long the ride was. Astoundingly there was no-one at the head of the demo setting the pace (behind the lead police car which pulled to the side once it got going).

We actually ended up leading the demo. The press (ie. local radio and TV) had no idea what was happening "Biker demo against safety measures" was apparently reported.

There were of course a variety of knobs who decided to rev their engines to ridiculous heights as we set off, but that aside it was a superb show of solidarity. But what a wasted opportunity and pretty pathetic lead from MAG - few would even wonder why we were there and the only general effect was to p*ss off several thousand drivers ...     

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I agree with Sovrec, a fantastic turnout with no logical ending! The ride should have finished with a gathering somewhere with the press invited and banners to say why we are there. Instead, they just fizzled out! I've talked to people today who saw what was going on with no idea why, they just thought it was a big club or rally ride out. I hope this event is repeated and next time finish by congregating in a town or city and really get the point home.

Reply to this Topic
madasthecat

May 09

madasthecat says:

demo

I have to agree this was a very poorly organised event from MAG, completely wasted oppurtunity. I remember when we used to have a run out in London, then a gathering, lots of speeches and then back to the magna carta rally site. Handing out fliers at the service stations would have been a bonus. I think this is in detriment to the cause, and will only reflect bikers in a less than positive way to joe public. We will be seen to be nothing but an un welcome nuisance.

Reply to this Topic
Poolhog

Nov 10

Poolhog says:

Why do it Silverstone British Superbike Sunday !!! plenty of me and mates would have gone but the demo clashed with a key biking diary date.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices