Skip to content

Discuss This Honda's new 700cc naked: how good is it going to be? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Honda's new 700cc naked: how good is it going to be?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Honda's new 700cc naked: how good is it going to be?

Honda's kicking the ball into the biggest open goal it can find launching a 77mpg 700cc parallel twin super scooter at the height of fuel price paranoia. But it's not the version that will attract most interest among existing motorcyclists, for whom getting on any kind of step-thru is like volunteering for puberty reversal – either way foregoing both their...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 September 2011 14:14)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kawasakifreak1

Aug 11

Price ?

............but will Honda price the bike realistically ?

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

It will be utterly boring

While I like and admire a push towards fuel economy, most Honda motorcycles suffer from being cosmically boring and devoid of a sense of fun. Their sensible bikes are too dull for words and this will doubtless fall into that category. On a purely technical note, 77mpg is also not good enough - given that the Royal Enfield is out of the ark and manages over 80mpg, has a soul, looks like a real motorbike, this dear Honda, is will not hit the spot.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

A start

Concentrating on delivering low rpm torque and decent fuel consumption is at least a start.

Next up tyres that last at least 10,000miles, hydraulic valve adjusters and 10,000 mile service intervals.

And ditch the DCT and chain combo, give us either conventional shaft drive manual transmission or a CVT.

Instead of the mad new mid-concept scooter which has zero on-board storage and will appeal to nobody, Honda should build an S-Wing 300 using the motor from the SH300.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

True Adventure?

Can't wait to see the Adventure derivative. Please Honda, don't give us another Transalp Transformer thats light in the loafers, but a 2012 Africa Twin to really set the sand gland going.

Reply to this Topic
OTimms

Mar 09

OTimms says:

Older bikes

Why do manufacturers restrict choice to 33mpg sportsbike or 77mpg commuter crap?    

I'd rather have a smaller capacity engine in a superior chasis i.e. a modern VFR400 doing 60mpg than a 700cc scooter engined 'do it all' achieving 77mpg.

Reply to this Topic
BBQdog

Jul 10

BBQdog says:

@OTimms: agree.

Bikes get bigger and fatter with every new generation

Amd they have the guts to call them 'middleweights' altough they

are elefants on balet shoes.

Why not a nimble 150 kg ready without fuel 70 bhp sports bike ???

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

My 2010 Busa returns 52 plus mpg on a run And im not talking 56mph here, so Im pretty happy about that. Seriously chaps Bikes have moved on over the years. 25 years ago my FJ1200 was returning 30mpg at similar speeds. My 1600 td van struggles to get to 38 mpg at a steady 60mph, Hell i've got a mate who assures me his 08 Busa returned 62 mpg on a recent tour ! Whats changed is the price of fun.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

BMW F800

BMW might not claim it but I get a real 74.8mpg out of my F800S (5 year old) on a commute. Not just once but averaged every day commuting for the last 10000 miles measured by Fuelly (and that compares to 56 on my Honda Deauvile ridden simmarly over 15000 and its more fun). I didn't use fuelly with my 250R Ninja (hadn't heard of it then) but i think the mpg out of the F800s is very similar to the manual checks I did on that too. Put your money where your mouth is Honda and have some F800STs for direct mpg comparison with your new bikes (or give me one for a few days to check your claims)...

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I have an Fz8 and though I've had more powerful bikes, I think it's really not necessary to have 150hp to have fun or to improve riding skills. I think this Honda should be very interesting. If it's light and has 60-70mpg it should find a lot buyers. How many times have we complained about poor mpg or tanks too small. I think they just might have a winner here.

Reply to this Topic
jbond

Aug 02

jbond says:

Maxiscooters

"But it's not the version that will attract most interest among existing motorcyclists, for whom getting on any kind of step-thru is like volunteering for puberty reversal – either way foregoing both their balls and ability to attract a mate." Oh FFS. Just stop it already. You've had things like the T-Max in your test range and the journalist actually enjoyed it. Maxiscooters have their place as a kind of white van or estate car of the M/C world. They work really, really well for commuting and general errands where the combination of enough speed, ease of use, huge luggage area, good weather protection and so on make sense. Then you find yourself choosing them for longer trips for all the same reasons. No, they're not sportsbikes but they still have two wheels and a motor so are, by definition, fun as well as practical. So please stop with the knee jerk reaction that you're somehow less of a motorcyclist for riding them. Unfortunately that goes for Honda as well. The scoot version of this bike could have been a real alternative to the Burgman 650 if they'd learnt a few lessons from the Silver Wing, Burgman 650, Gilera 800 and T-Max. Instead they've produced something that's ugly and more like a cheap, cut down pan-euro or a Deauville competitor as if they couldn't bring themselves to really embrace the big scooter approach.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle