Skip to content

Ask an Expert How long does it take? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > How long does it take?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

How long does it take?

Hi there

I have been riding a Honda 125CG since March. I passed my Mod 1 in July and Mod 2 on 1st Sept. I have just got a BMW F650gs with lowered seat & suspension as I am only 5'2". I have been out 4 times on the bike, 2 1hr rides then 2 3hr rides, when i was out on ride 3, I dropped the bike as I came to a stop as a roundabout (about 2.5hrs into the ride), on the 4th ride out I did the same but at a petrol station. I think I used the front break with too much pressure. Should I give up as I think I should have mastered such a crutial thing by now? I now the bike is very different to the Honda but I can get in and out of any car and drive it and adapt within a very short time. Any advice greatfully received.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 September 2011 21:16)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SamLovatt

Sep 11

SamLovatt says:

Everyone drops their first bike

Never give up:smile
You have a lot to get used to moving from a 125 to a 650; acceleration, brakes, weight etc, its just a case of getting to know the bike.
If you are worried about it you could always try some advanced riding courses.

Give it a couple of weeks and you should be used to it by then and be able to ride it like the 125 :biggrin:

With cars you don't have to worry about balancing :wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Don't quit

Sam is right; stick with it.  Do you have any mates that you could ride with that might give you a few pointers?  It sounds as if your riding is OK but it's stopping and slow manoevering that you are having issues with.  This is just a matter of technique.  You'll get the hang of it.   

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

adapt

wilful,can you put both feet flat on the ground when stopped?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Stick with it

but short rides are easier on the attention, until everything about stopping and starting the new beast becomes second nature...  Bikes fall over, it's their fault for not having enough wheels.  We don't drop them, we just sometimes forget to hold them up!  Petrol stations are the worst, what with diesel spills and onlookers, even skyscraper's of people drop their bikes there sometimes.

If you can't get both heals down that's okay, but it takes longer to be confident.  Four rides is nothing in the scheme of things.  Muscle memory takes about a thousand repeats - stop a thousand times and you wan't have to think about it as much.

I know the camber can make the left foot more of a reach, but smooth stops are easier and more in control DSA style, both brakes (80:20% in the dry F:R) easing off as you come to rest with your left foot down.  Only when safely stopped consider the Hendon shuffle to get it out of gear if need be.  Front brake can lead to more of a bounce, and combined with any wobble that can be unsettling.

Good luck, I hope nothing got damaged.

Reply to this Topic
loocoll

Aug 11

loocoll says:

Newbie too

I too passed my mod 2 on 1st Sep and went from a YBR125 to my long awaited Street Triple and I love it!  However, I too am nervous about dropping the bike especially when I nearly got blown over at traffic lights a couple of weeks ago! The first time I went out with hubby on his bike but felt pressured to ride as he does (fast) however since then I have made myself go out for lots of slow riding and balancing etc on my own or with my son. 

It was really drummed into us on our direct access course about using the back brake with the front brake to take off the speed, then use only the back break before using both brakes if you have to come to an actual stop, hence using only the back brake at slow speeds which really helps with balance etc.  This has helped me so much as I wasnt a fan of the back brake on the 125cc but cant do without it now.  Dont give up, I'm sure it will become 2nd nature to us eventually.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi wilful

Four rides since July, not exactly giving yourself a chance of becoming accustomed to the bike I would suggest that you get out on a regular basis, on short journeys so that you become more aware of the bikes characteristics under all conditions.

(Edit) Sorry having read through the above comes over a bit terse but not meant to be. 

Reply to this Topic
wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

Thank you everyone

I can comfortably touch the ground on both sides Jaffa. My heals are not quite down but the rest of my foot is. The bike feels very balanced on the move and when I am stationary.

I have only been out on my own once, that was fine but since then the rides have been with my husband. He was wth me when I dropped the bike (both times) and he has lost confidence in my riding so doesn't want to go out with me. I want to go out on my own to build confidence and get used to the bike in all situations but am worried I might drop it again (I can't pick it up again!! - one of the draw back of being a small woman...lol).

I used to go out on my 125 on my own and was completely confident as I was totally independent, if I had dropped it I could have picked it up again.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement.

My aim was to be able to ride a bike by the time I was 50 so made it with a year to spare - maybe I can be a confident rider by the time I am 50. Just need to see how I get over this confidence drop.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

In

view of your response and if your finances allow it, it would pay you to get a qualified instructors assistance so that you are accompanied until you gain your confidence.

Good luck and I hope you succeed.  

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Dropped.

When I was a newbie I used to find empty car parks and practice stuff like this. It's helpful because there are no distractions so you can think about what the bike is doing.

Just before you come to a stop make sure the front wheel is pointing dead ahead so that, a) you're vertical, obviously! and b) if the bike rolls slightly as you dismount it can only go forwards or backwards and won't throw its weight over.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Pick up.

-and look for "How to pick up a motorcycle" on YouTube. There's a particular technique you can try to make it easy.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices