Skip to content

Ask an Expert How long does it take? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > How long does it take?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

How long does it take?

Hi there

I have been riding a Honda 125CG since March. I passed my Mod 1 in July and Mod 2 on 1st Sept. I have just got a BMW F650gs with lowered seat & suspension as I am only 5'2". I have been out 4 times on the bike, 2 1hr rides then 2 3hr rides, when i was out on ride 3, I dropped the bike as I came to a stop as a roundabout (about 2.5hrs into the ride), on the 4th ride out I did the same but at a petrol station. I think I used the front break with too much pressure. Should I give up as I think I should have mastered such a crutial thing by now? I now the bike is very different to the Honda but I can get in and out of any car and drive it and adapt within a very short time. Any advice greatfully received.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 September 2011 21:16)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Wobbly stops

Good on others for bumping this thread - I wanted to reply to it a while back and lost it.

Wobbly stops are mainly caused by nerves, and using the wrong technique in a few crucial ways is going to land you on the ground.   The good news is, the  worst that happens is severe embarrassment and minor bruising (plus some minor bike damage).   The bad news is it knocks your confidence even more, and makes every stop a thing to dread throughout a journey - sapping concentration in the meantime.

You almost certainly were feeling a bit nervy at the stop, you had to stop a bit more suddenly than you expected, you grabbed the front brake, and you were looking directly at the ground that you were about to hit.

Is that right?   Please try these suggestions:

-  Only ever look directly forward - way, way forward, never at the ground when you're coming to a complete halt.    1000 yard stare.

- Do not grab the front brake at all, have one finger on it at the most.  Do all your controlled braking with the back brake only, particularly for the final few yards.

- Stop with the back brake, and stick your left leg out as the bike comes to a halt, looking dead ahead.

Please try this technique, and let me know if coming to a halt isn't something that's ruining your whole outing from now on?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

Great advice Slow Learner - Thanks

Sorry not repiled before now. I have not been on the site for a while.

Your description of what happened is so correct.

Since reading your advice everytime I find myself going to look at the ground as I am coiming to a stop I immediately remember your words and do the 1000yd stare! So far it has worked a treat. I am making sure I keep well way from the front brake for the final stop (something I was taught to keep well away from but somehow I didn't do as I should). I do still feel anxious but I have not been out a great deal due to the time of year. I am looking forward to the improved weather to get more pracice in.

Thanks again :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

wilful: Welcome mate!

Only just saw this reply too - glad you got it, and very glad it's working out.    Thank you for the reply.

Just as an extra note - at speeds under 10mph (and definitely under 5mph) you don't need the front brake to bring you to a dead stop.   Watch out for the panic - stab on the back brake, that can almost as nasty and destabilising as hitting the front. 

This isn't to say you can't use the front to halt, mind - no need to make a religion out of the rear-brake halt (although if it works for you, don't knock it!).  Just don't grab the front as you come to a complete halt.  Let it glide to a halt.  If you've got a dodgy left leg - for instance - or a serious camber to the left, you can use the right leg without a problem.

Just come gently to a halt, with a tiny, steady,  pressure on the front brake to arrest that last bit of motion.

But always look dead ahead, no matter what else you do!

[Edit note:  Emphasis put on steady pressure on the front brake, if that's what you want to use to come to a total halt.  Never grab it or squeeze harder at the final moments of stopping.]

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Tabasco

May 09

Tabasco says:

SlowLearner

don't drop your gaurd at any time!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale