Skip to content

Ask an Expert How long does it take? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > How long does it take?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

How long does it take?

Hi there

I have been riding a Honda 125CG since March. I passed my Mod 1 in July and Mod 2 on 1st Sept. I have just got a BMW F650gs with lowered seat & suspension as I am only 5'2". I have been out 4 times on the bike, 2 1hr rides then 2 3hr rides, when i was out on ride 3, I dropped the bike as I came to a stop as a roundabout (about 2.5hrs into the ride), on the 4th ride out I did the same but at a petrol station. I think I used the front break with too much pressure. Should I give up as I think I should have mastered such a crutial thing by now? I now the bike is very different to the Honda but I can get in and out of any car and drive it and adapt within a very short time. Any advice greatfully received.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (27 September 2011 21:16)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Wilful

Don't give up,

My advice is get yourself on a bikesafe course, costs nothing compared to some training schools.

Just explain that you have recently passed your test, jumped onto a bigger bike and the Observer will look after you. They will give you the right advice on how to improve your riding and confidence.

If you get some good training, you will soon be able to ride with your husband and enjoy riding together as you should.

Go for it, have a bit of patience.

A good biker never stops learning.:smile

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

here's a thought...

practice lifting the bike on your own?  Get help to lay it down gently on a lawn.  Having studied the available techniques you should find that bike is actually surprisingly easy, or at least possible, to lift after all.  It's usually a combination of panic, embarassment and oily / dirty hands / bike that make the thing unliftable.

If you find you can lift it unaided, chances are you'll never have to.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

You've only just started out

It takes time to become accustomed with a new bike anyway - more so as a relative newbie.

Stick with it - bear in mind that everyone drops a bike sooner or later.

Just a thought: you say you dropped it at a roundabout - you didn't per chance apply the front brake with any steering applied (ie making the forks dive and possibly catching you by surprise)?

Don't know your technique, but try applying the front brakes until you lose the speed, release it, and *gently* re-apply them if need be.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

Can't say thank you enough!!

Hi All

I just can't tell you how much all of your advice has helped me!! A HUGE thank you!:smile

When I got home from work I decided to get the beast out and go to a local "deserted" carpark and practice some slow riding, exactly like I did to pass my test for Mod 1. I then went for a ride round the industrial area doing lots of junctions and slow control.

I think you are all correct, I just need to practice and by going back to basics on this bike I feel like I am getting to know more about how the bike reacts. It is so different to the Honda. I have had a big grin on my face all evening since I got back in.:biggrin:

I love my bike and riding sooo much it was so painful to think of never getting on it again!

You can't begin to know how much all your encouragement has meant!

I will be booking on the bike safe course too. I have put my name down on the waiting list.

Keep up the good work on this site - I hope I can, in the future offer as much help to others one day.:smile

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Wilful

Pleased that you are out and getting to grips with the bike, take care and enjoy.

Always remember to ride at your pace not someone else's.

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

My Mum

has been riding bikes since the early 90's, shes your height aswell, shes ridden everything from little 400's upto litre sports and rides my k5 gsxr 600 from time to time which is a fairly tall bike (she dropped it the first time she rode it because she wasnt expecting the brakes to bite so fast, not due to her height though)

Its just confidence and technique.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Have fun

Always remember slowest rider/bike first.

Then you won't be pressured to go quick.

Your just getting used to it. For some people it takes months to get used to a new bike.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

wilful

maybe you are over analysing too much.

remember to breath. Someone told me on a track day to take deep breaths and clench buttocks. Stupid it may sound but very effective.

relax, and feed the power slowly on and off, I'm afraid I very rarely use the back brake unless I'm on gravel:shock:

Most of all relax, corners, slow in fast out and remember when you brake hard those forks are going to dip, try using engine braking as well.

I'm no expert by the way x

Reply to this Topic
wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

So pleased I took all of your advice

Been out today with a friend - who is also a novice like me. We had a lovely ride out with a very pleasant stop off for cream teas. I really feel like I am  getting to grips with the bike. It is an amazing machine and wonderful to ride. Happy riding one and all - keep safe x

Reply to this Topic
katiepecbvda

Nov 11

katiepecbvda says:

dont give up

Never give up! You will get it

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle