You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Satnav

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

biggsy137

Sep 11

biggsy137 says:

Satnav

Ok, I'm pretty new to this biking lark. I've searched on here and on google and done some reading but still not really answered my question...
I'm thinking about going over to the dark side (buying a sat nav) now the way things look, I seem to have 3 options:
1 - Garmin bike specific one, something 220 I think. I like the features on this like reading out street names and being able to use it in the car too.

2 - Tom Tom Rider pro (I think) this being cheaper that the Garmin and some good reviews about it, but seems to need extras to use it in a car and not quite as many features as the Garmin.
But I think I read it changes volume as you speed up/slow down. Like the sound of this as to hear someone nagging you at 50/60 she's gonna be screaming in your ear when you stop at traffic lights... but also hear this is not as waterproof?

3 - The cheapest option - Buy a cheap sat nav with either bluetooth or headphone jack, waterproof case and headset and off we go...

What are peoples experiences with any of these options? I know Garmin vs Tom Tom is a swings and roundabouts question but I'd much rather hear it from the horses mouth as opposed to a salesman working on commission...

Features I want from it are to have some form of headset function either wired or wireless, re calculate if I go off exploring, beable to tell it to avoid motorways (I'm only on a 125!) but not 'highways' as google does 'cos this avoids some of the more major A roads too...
Being able to plan a round on the pc before hand is also a nice feature, can car satnavs do this yet?

So what do people think...?

Cheers all!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 September 2011 19:42)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pmat

Jul 11

pmat says:

Garmin 220

Hi mate,

I just bought the Garmin 220. The cheapest I could find it was £300, which is a bit of a rip-off really. It's not bad at all. Small and easy to use even with gloves on but the user interface isn't as pretty as TomTom's.

The TomTom Rider is a bigger unit and a bit cheaper than the Garmin. Reviews are similar to the Garmin's.

My advice would be to buy a £50 sat nav unit (look on HUKD) and then buy a decent mount (RAM mount) and waterproof case.

For how often I am going to be out in the rain on my bike, I too should have taken the cheaper option!:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Garmin

I use a Garmin Zumo 660. I also have a car specific Garmin. On both, you can set it to "avoid motorways". After seeing my mates tomtom in action, I wouldn't use one of those.

Garmin also use "mapsource" which allows you to play about on the PC first.

I never have the sound on, on a satnav.

Reply to this Topic
biggsy137

Sep 11

biggsy137 says:

Garming 220

unfortunately for my pocket, I think I'm leaning more to the Garmin 220...

There's lots to say they are a much of a much ness (Tom Tom and Garmin) but then everynow and again a review pops up to make me think out of the two the garmin is the better.How is the bluetooth on it? have you tired it? I've been reading bluetooth on a bike can be quite crap...

Can you recomend anywhere other than Halfords to go and look at them, preferably somwhere where they actually know about them too would be good...

My other thought last night was to look at a HGV satnav - I'm starting to do some work driving trucks and this could be usefull and most have a 'car' setting which would do on a bike, but I'd want one that can either connect to a Bluetooth headset (most seem to attach to phones only!) or an audio out. Anyone have any experience with these?

Time to trawl the interweb again...Why do I like tech and gadgets so much :(

Reply to this Topic
PerryGPS

May 13

PerryGPS says:

Bike Sat Navs

Hello,

I work for a company called Global GPS and we do specialize in a lot of bike related products.

We are one of the cheapest online for bike GPS systems.

We also have the BRAND NEW TomTom Rider 5.

If you wish to purchase from ourselves then as a SPECIAL OFFER, we can offer free delivery with any purchase on bike related products or a free carry case when you purchase a bike sat nav with the use of this promo code: GG789

If i can be of any help at all then do not hesitate to contact me at the office on 01626336007

Perry

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices