Skip to content

Discuss This 80mph motorway speed limit by 2013 General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 80mph motorway speed limit by 2013

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

80mph motorway speed limit by 2013

Motorway speed limits could increase to 80mph by 2013. Transport Secretary Philip Hammond said there had been "huge advances in safety and motoring technology" since the current 70mph limit was introduced in 1964 and raising it "would generate economic benefits of hundreds of millions of pounds through shorter journey times". A consultation will be launched this year. The Department for Transport says the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 September 2011 09:01)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

Inconsiderate

It's a crap idea. They're trying to pass it without consideration for bikers with the argument "cars are safer these days so lets go faster". No one has bothered to think about bikes in all this, where there still is no NCAP and safety is pretty much the same as it ever was. With extra speed comes extra wind noise even with plugs, I don't want to deafen myself by being pressured into keeping up with traffic now creeping up to 90mph (which it will as there'll be no extra cash to enforce 80mph properly). Even still, cars aren't intended to crash at 70mph, let alone 80mph. Bikes will tend to suffer more from dropping fuel economy at higher speeds due to less efficient drag coefficients. Fine if you want to go fast, but penalises bikers who would prefer the choice to do 70 without feeling intimidated. It will also be crap for businesses. It would be far safer, more efficient and a LOT more consistent if everyone stuck to 70 and didn't crash. What screws business big time is motorway accidents. It seems every other time I use the south M25, there's a hold up due to an accident. Motorways are soulless places to get where you're going so any so any feelgood factor lost by not overtaking would not be missed. journey times would be negligibly different. And finally, the environment does matter and it'd be a whole lot worse for it. I for one prefer things as they are where bikes that like to go fast can go fast, as the chances of getting caught are near zero anyway.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Odd but,

My first read on this and I thought it said 180..! Now THAT would be a speed limit to focus the minds wonderfully! Let's go Autobahn! And of course Hammond is right, it will benefit the economy - because drag increases as a square of the speed that extra ten miles per will result in dramatically decreased fuel economy and therefore more frequent re-filling with the extravagantly over-taxed go-juice that the guvingment oppresses us with. Smart bastards, these politico-devilspawn. Of course, they could just not legislate, saving the taxpayers millions on bureaucratic bullshit, and just remove 25% of the current tax on fuel - THAT would benefit the economy far more...

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Oh and..

...nice to see BRAKE pullint statistis out of their arse. Again. MCN, ask them for proof will you? Fracking kitchen-table wannabes.

Reply to this Topic
Dazzler123

Jul 11

Dazzler123 says:

Why change it

The reality is now that if you are donig 80 on the motorway you're not going to get pulled over anyway. Where as if we up the limit you can bet yoiur bottom dollar that the police will be out to prove a point that the 80 limit doesn't mean 90 and will be extra tight on anyone doing just a few mph over.

Its not speed that matters if speed differential and with lorries restricted to 56 I wouldn't want ot be traveling along with everyone else doing 80, there would be even more panic breaking than there is now.

If I exceed the limit at 80 I am more alert, pay more attention to everyone around me and drive / ride more safely. If the limit was 80 then no one would be paying attention.......and I'd have to go 90 to get oast them all ;-)

Reply to this Topic
Dazzler123

Jul 11

Dazzler123 says:

AND

as some of you have said the biggest problem on motorways by far is peoples lack of ability to use them properly....its appaling how bad some people are and they are totally oblivious to the problems they cause.

I try to avoid them nowadays to be honest unless on a long journey

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

WHAT?

There are people against thsi that arnt a bunch of elf and safety faries?  I have no problem with lane hoggers in the rush hour, will quite happily "filter"past, the quickest lane of the 4 lane M1 is the inside most days.  Can anyone quote me a nasty corner that cant be taken at 80?  If someone wants to quote the relevent british standard on road design that states the motorways cant take 80 i will gladley look it up.  Ban lorries from overtaking in rush hour and abnormal loads completley (during rush hour) and you have solved half the congestion, sometimes they are 3 abreast!

Reply to this Topic
knives4apro

May 09

knives4apro says:

Read it properly

Please read: There are enormous economic benefits to be had by increasing the speed limit and shortening journey times.

AS: There is massive pile of cash to be made from the wealthy/stupid who will drive faster and need more fuel in which to do so.

I personally see it as no problem with the speed limit and who ever came up with this in whitehall is a bloody genius he is obviously in the wrong job. As an idea like this to earn money for teh government without taxing teh people is from the times of Churchill! Speed limits in Germany have been unrestricted in parts  for longer than my life and they do not twitter on about accidents etc.. People do need training on the use of motorways better because in ANY european country they are more courtious to bikers and fellow drivers. and do not sit in the middle lane because they are to lazy to change lanes!

Reply to this Topic
WindyMiller75

Sep 11

The impact

will be negligible. Rush hour commuter traffic will still tailgate as fast as it can, which is usually about 70-80 anyway due to traffic volumes. No change there.

Friday evening and weekend getaway traffic will still be more dangerous due to idiots at 60 in the outside lane, or not checking mirrors / blind spots / etc. No change there either.

The only way they could rigidly enforce 80 would be with cameras. I'd rather see police out there stopping the dangerous drivers/riders than just fining people doing 83 on a clear empty road. The main danger on a motorway (apart from being an idiot) is going too fast for the traffic / weather conditions, not absolute speed.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

So!

Do all us convicted speeders (85 on an empty M3 ) get a refund?

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

this won't make a jot of difference, as others have said.  all this does is legalise what's already happening on the motorways already, and gives the Government the perfect excuse to rigidly enforce an 80 mph limit.  it won't be a ticket at 83, but if you're caught doing 88 ....

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle