Skip to content

Discuss This 80mph motorway speed limit by 2013 General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 80mph motorway speed limit by 2013

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

80mph motorway speed limit by 2013

Motorway speed limits could increase to 80mph by 2013. Transport Secretary Philip Hammond said there had been "huge advances in safety and motoring technology" since the current 70mph limit was introduced in 1964 and raising it "would generate economic benefits of hundreds of millions of pounds through shorter journey times". A consultation will be launched this year. The Department for Transport says the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 September 2011 09:01)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

80 mph

cant see the point  if your caught just over 100 mph its a 2 week ban.

Reply to this Topic
Harry44

Jun 07

Harry44 says:

Don't be so cynical chaps. As long as some wealthy cash donor wants to pay the government to do it, it will happen.

Politicians will do anything for money.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

about time

We also need a minimum speed limit for cars and bikes of 60mph, 30 is too low.  If people don't want to drive quickly they shouldn't be using motorways.

Reply to this Topic
guzzivee8

Jun 07

guzzivee8 says:

FAZ, The speed I drive/ride at....

is not really the point, as it happens I find riding on motorways extremely tedious and try and avoid whenever possible (like a lot of bikers?)
Would be interested ,if you can spare the time, to here your views on my points (that the network not being designed to the “Proposed” limit and “hamsters” reasons being at best fatuous)

Oh and Harry44 Modern Tories don’t need “wealthy cash donors” they’re all minted themselves.

GV8

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

And another thing!!!

If I had power, 1/ All artics to be confined to the inside lane, then we don't have the one lane situation where one lorry is doing 0.5mph more than another and takes 5 mins to overtake reducing the motorway to one lane. 2/  prosecute motorists hogging the middle lane where its obvious they could move over, and they are usually going slower than anyone else anyway! and 3/ make motorway driving part of the driving test and part of learning to drive. Its lunacy that no-one gets mandatory instruction. Rant over.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Limits

As has been pointed out  80 is the "de facto" limit anyway, so this is really a bit of fluff which will make no practical difference. I would much prefer to see a review of all 50 limits that have been imposed since 1997, to see if they were legally imposed and whether they are still relevant. Some, if not all, of these limits are quite simply absurd and cause more widespread frustration and annoyance than being limited to 80 on a motorway. Councils across the UK have spent millions on these needless limits and then more millions to put up average speed cameras and then more millions to put up my (un)favourite sign - "its 50 for a reason" !! I recently asked my MP for clarification of this statement with regards to signs on the A54 - not got a response yet!

Reply to this Topic
PingCrosby

Jul 07

PingCrosby says:

Fahrt fahrt fahrt auf der autobahn....

Look just convert them all to autobahns with unlimited speed limits....wunderbar.

Reply to this Topic
panrider08

Oct 11

panrider08 says:

80mph speed limit?

There may be a reasoned argument for increasing the motorway limit to 80mph, but you will still get the clown in the mirrors wanting to do 90mph. The problem isnt with the speed limit, its the agressive driving tactics, and trying to drive at the speed limit when the conditions (to any sane individual) dictate that you should slow down. God forbid you give room to drive at 80mph to a prat who thinks that its ok to drive at 80mph in the fog, snow, ice, heavy rain, etc. Most vehicles will maintain 80mph, and stop quicker than a 1964 Humber Sceptre but the dope holding the wheel may not be any brighter.  I say raise the limit, then police it effectively.

Reply to this Topic
lisaalther

Oct 11

lisaalther says:

Sounds good to me, its really good to see this post! Thanks for sharing.

Class 7 practice test Alberta | Alberta class 7 practice test

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices