Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Dunfermline

Oct 11

Dunfermline says:

Ways to reduce costs

Hi all, new to these forums.

I am looking at getting back into bikes after a long period away, approx 17 years.
Could anyone recommend ways to reduce your insurance, best to go with alarms or something else, as i am sure there has been lots of new products come on the market since i was last riding.
I am looking at getting a 600, either a GSXR or ZX6R.
If an alarm is the best option which would be best, or is there a better option, emobiliser ? what kind of things should i be looking for. Are there better options, best makes.
Anything to get the costs down would be good.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 October 2011 21:28)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Reducing Insurance

The best way to reduce you insurance is to pick a bike that is in a cheaper insurance group.  A Bandit 600, 600 Fazer, SV650 or similar will save you a few bob while you build up some no claims bonus. 

Garages, approved locks and alarms all get insurance discounts - but the reductions won't be massive.  Advanced training also helps.    

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

According to my insurers

Aviva, security makes little if any difference - other insurers may be different.

As MM, find a bike that's a lower insurance group (and/or older, thus lower value), putting a mileage limit of say 3 or 4k miles per year may bring it down a bit.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

could

try removing pillions as it reduces the risk of paying out more for personal injury. Often some insurers will allow you to remove riding other bikes or just not offer it.

ebike has removed the riding other bikes as they had a lot of claims when someone decided to try their mates R1 and totalled it and as a result they can give cheaper quotes.

Also do a quote with and without the security attached. Mine is the same without it being chained up, etc as I am the higher risk - it's handy if you forget to chain it up and it gets nicked.

Reply to this Topic
Dunfermline

Oct 11

Dunfermline says:

thanks for the reply

Thanks for all the replies. 

I may give a couple of companies a call and ask ways to reduce costs to see what they recommend.
Good tip about not carrying pillions. May need to make changes when filling in to see what if anything reduces the cost.
Looking at something older may be a good option till getting some no claims.
Anyone know roughly what the reduction would be for 1 years no claims ?.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

1 years no claims

in my case, it dropped the price by about £7.00, so not a huge amount.

Don't know if you have other ins policies (home contents / buildings / car), but if you have more than one policy with an insurer, sometimes they drop the price of individual policies, but you'll probably end up paying more overall over 2 or 3 policies.

Reply to this Topic
nalaka

Oct 11

nalaka says:

Ways to reduce costs

Take a motorcycle safety class, there are a couple of them but it depends on where you live. I took an NIU sponsored beginner's course and they give you a certificate if you pass which you can take to your insurance guy and they should reduce it a little. Older bikes help a lot too. I only pay like 300 a year haha (1 or 2 speeding tickets and a 1975 bike - I'm 21).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle