Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

leongecko

Oct 11

leongecko says:

passed CBT, picking up first bike

Hi there,

2 weeks ago I passed my CBT, I'm 39 and wanted to ride a motorbike since i was young but never hd the money to do so!

My dilemma is this, although I got through the CBT fine (I was a natural, i bet they say that to everyone haha) I have a bike I am buying (CBF125 2009 model) but I am nervous about picking it up and driving it home 15 miles through london on my first solo ride.

I also dont drive a car so my road nous is very limited.
Any tips on how to make this a little easier/less daunting? Its a private seller so cant get them to deliver unfortunately.

many thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 October 2011 04:40)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I dont blame you being a little daunted riding through the centre of London on your first ride.

Only two things I can suggest. If you know a friend that can ride, maybe they would be able to pick it up for you.

If not, and you own a car licence, then hire a van for half a day. But do remember if you take this course of action, you will either need someone with you to pick the bike up and put into the back of the van (two of you should lift a 125), or you will need a ramp. Also, you will need some tie downs to hold the bike steady in the back. Unless said friend is prepared to sit on it for the journey back.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I dont blame you either for being a little daunted riding through the centre of London on your first ride.

Can you not extended the ride a bit, ie riding it for and hour or so to farmilirise yourself with the bike before heading through London.

Can you not circumnavigate London or at least a bit of it?and obviously pick a quite-ish time maybe after the evening rush hour.

Any hoo i wish you all the best and welcome to the world of bikes and the forum, and remember it could be worse, you could be picking up a car!:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
BIKER6F

Jun 08

BIKER6F says:

welcome along fella

Picking up a new ride can be daunting for just about anyone who is new to biking world. Like preunit has mentioned, pick up the bike after the rush hour either mid morning or mid afternoon, 15 miles isn't that far, but i do understand how you feel . You say you don't drive, do you not know someone with a small van ?, if not have you a mate who also rides, some one who can ride behind you in a dominate position in the road, so that you ( in front ) is as protected as possible from all the numpty arse london,,,," my journey is more importent than yours",,,, drivers. Word of advice do try to relax, and dont worry so much, you have your CBT which means that someone has said that you are competent enough to be on the road, and you should be filled with pride and excitement :biggrin: and at your age, your no chav, scooter riding knob head, with  less concentration span of goldfish, honest mate you will do just fine, relax relax, relax & enjoy :biggrin:

Maybe you could share with us what area you live in and where abouts in london your picking it up from, you never know, one of us kind souls could assist ?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

or

you could pay a firm/company to deliver it.Just an idea,but a costly one.

Id do as suggested above tho,pick a quiet time and go for it.Take it steady,im sure you will.

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

or

you could pay a firm/company to deliver it.Just an idea,but a costly one.

Id do as suggested above tho,pick a quiet time and go for it.Take it steady,im sure you will.

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Mean Seller

That`s a bit unhelpful on the part of the Seller , knowing that you don`t drive or haven`t ridden a lot . That`s a nice suggestion by BIKER6F if a London Member of the Forum could help out .

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I'm London based

mate... When you picking it up??

Depending on time/day i'd be happy to ride alongside if that helps out.

Otherwise.... I just think you need to take it really easy, be confident.. and make sure you are aware of EVERYTHING around you... But as I said just keep it real slow and you'll be fine.... there's always gonna be a first time.. make it now!!   :biggrin:

Congrats all the same bud.. welcome! Lemme know if u need help and where you're going to/from!

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

have you asked the seller

I sold my Harley to an older guy who hadn't ridden for a very long time, and if truth be known he never will ride it. But I rode it to his address for him on a Sunday morning.

It might be worth a try. If not I'm sure someone on here doesn't live too far from you who may be willing to give up a couple of hours, that way you are not on your own and you make a new biker mate.

Ride through London, not if you paid me !!!!:shock:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Newby getting 1st bike

I've helped friends out in similar situations and met them at the sellers and rode the bike back with them pillion (the bike wasn't that far away and the buyer organised transport for me to get to the seller).

Reply to this Topic
leongecko

Oct 11

leongecko says:

wow!

wow I'm genuinely overwhelmed by the kind offers of assistance from you all!! Everyone says bikers are lovely people and they are right!!

I think I could ask the seller if he will drop it off for me for a fee, but I already got him to knock £100 off the price which he was lukewarm about so not sure how helpful he may be haha!
It doesnt hurt to ask I suppose, but if that is a no go then I am just going to go for it, I am picking it up on a sunday so it should be quieter and not so crazy and I can take a circuitous but less busy route as suggested above.

Seriously, thanks so much!! I will let you know what happens, although nervous, I'm dead excited to actually be doing it, been a dream for many years.
cheers!
James.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle