Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

roddyo

Oct 11

roddyo says:

textile v leather

gloves and or jackets, question is which are more waterproof leather or textile

I understand both can be porous and need to be proofed  is it down to individual items or is 1 material better than an other?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (05 October 2011 13:58)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
englishuser

Jul 07

englishuser says:

Textile v Leather

Textiles generally far superior in the rain and or cold. They are ofter more comfortable and easier to put on over your clothes etc. Leather still has better abration resistance than any man-made material when sliding down the road, although Dainese staff assure me that the latest textiles are not far behind these days. Topp spec waterproof gloves usually have leather on palm. Nice to have a set of both in the long run, but textiles the more practical of the two.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Which are more waterproof?

Most waterproof textiles have waterproof yet breathable membranes inside, either between the shell and lining or bonded to the outer shell. Decent quality waterproof breathable (Goretex or equivalent) textile gear does exactly what it says on the tin.

A very few, very expensive, leathers are genuinely waterproof, thanks to Gore-tex Pro-Shell, but AFAIK all other leathers eventually leak, though they may well be shower proof...

Reply to this Topic
nalaka

Oct 11

nalaka says:

textile v leather

The only instance where leather is a better option than textile is when 
 you're sliding down the road and then it's always superior. 

In all other conditions a good brand textile wins out, they're warmer or 
 cooler depending on the liner being in or out.  They're waterproof or at 
 least more waterproof than leather, which is at best water resistant if 
 treated continuously. 
 Leather made to measure can be very comfortable but on the whole textile 
 wins out. 

Good quality textile garments incorporate "armour" which improves their 
performance 
 in a crash situation but modern leather also has "armour" so they're always 
 going to be the better option once you've left the bike and are sliding, 
 shitting and shredding. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Kit.

Textiles for me are a compromise too far.

I wear two-piece leathers for their abrasion protection. My Furygan jacket and Wolf perforated jeans with additional thin layering works well in all conditions.

I carry compact, cheapish, two-piece waterproofs to go over the top when necessary, although I find a faired bike offers some protection from wind and rain and it has to be properly raining before I need the thin waterproof layers. They're almost totally water and wind proof, although they're like a sauna if worn in less than severe conditions. They dry quickly though.

Winter gloves seem to lose their waterproofing and warmth fairly quickly so for the past few years I've kept my Alpinestars summer gloves, using silk liners. Most water ingress is through the cuffs so make sure your waterproof sleeves fit over the cuff, not under.

Torrential rain will eventually find a way in, admittedly. A buff around the neck helps to keep the cold out.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Leathers

are generally far more aerodynamic. You will feel the difference between riding in leathers and riding in textiles (which tend to be more bulky) once you start to "push on" a bit.

Textiles are not allowed on track days.

Horses for courses though, if I'm only pootling about on my C90, then I would wear kevlar lined jeans and a light weight textile jacket, if I'm green laning I wear textiles, otherwise I wear 2 piece leathers.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices