Skip to content

Discuss This Brussels demo over EU plans General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Brussels demo over EU plans

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Brussels demo over EU plans

MCN is taking the fight over the meddling EU to Brussels with a demonstration rally. We’re staging a protest ride to European Parliament to coincide with a vote on restrictive new measures for bikes. Join our Facebook group on the demo here Tuning could become impossible and even home-maintenance severely hampered under proposals to make bikes impossible to modify. So-called onboard diagnostic systems on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 October 2011 16:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bcroninuk

Mar 09

bcroninuk says:

Death of biking

If this goes through I can see manufactures struggling and folding! I would never buy one of those "EU" bikes..... Wait! It is against my human rights to not be able to self service my bike.....

Reply to this Topic
TLom

Jun 11

TLom says:

too late?

Will join the Facebook group and hope this makes a difference, but a demo on the day of the vote is way too late, they will already know how they are going to vote.

Reply to this Topic
bikenutter

Dec 10

bikenutter says:

Oh, it is on like a prawn who yawns at dawn.

Reply to this Topic
aboutye

Jan 11

aboutye says:

Can you tell me exactly where it says in the proposal that:

Tuning will become impossible and even home-maintenance severely hampered under proposals to make bikes impossible to modify.

Reply to this Topic
exsup

Jun 06

exsup says:

EU Laws

I am with bcroninuk with this I buy a new bike every two Years if these EU bikes are tamper proof I will never buy one I will either stop biking or just keep the one I have.

Reply to this Topic
Grumpyoldtechie

Aug 11

You do know it's illegal to stage demonstrations in Brussels while the parliament is sitting?

And have you actually read the proposals? Just where does it say home servicing will be banned, or "so-called onboard diagnostics" will detect non standard parts?

If you're going to organise a protest you should at least try to get the facts straight!

Reply to this Topic
wilkopicture

Oct 11

wilkopicture says:

The is a film at http://cibfilmfestival.org/index.php  is interesting.

Anyone with a film of teh Brussels demo - or just footage ought to send it.

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

what the proposals actually say

...can be found here:

www.ipex.eu/IPEXL-WEB/dossier/files/download/082dbcc530b1bf490130bc628e693db7.do

The anti-tampering stuff is in article 18 on page 31.

What it says is that bikes will have to be fitted with "designated measures" designed to prevent any modification to increase performance or circumvent emission controls.

I think that makes it pretty clear that the intention is to make tuning impossible.  The "designated measures" won't be defined in the primary legislation; they are to be subsequently defined by the Commission as they see fit.

The proposals also require the fitment of on-board diagnostics that can monitor emissions and the performance of vehicle systems (article 19).  So it's hardly a great leap to conclude that the on-board diagnostics are likely to form part of the "designated measures" for article 18.

One positive thing that I haven't seen mentioned so far - the proposals include the removal of the French 100bhp limit.

Reply to this Topic
ACEEDSTORM

Oct 10

ACEEDSTORM says:

If these laws come into force,which they will coz the Eurocrats want it to,the price of older bikes will rocket,which is good news for bikers like me who have no intrest in the latest bikes but a disaster for all the manufacturers who will take a massive hit in sales,then again elimination of bikes is the long term strategy of all politicians.

Reply to this Topic
aboutye

Jan 11

aboutye says:

@ Andy L

What the proposal says:

L-category vehicles shall be equipped with designated measures to prevent tampering of a vehicle's powertrain, to be laid down in a delegated act by means of a series of technical requirements and specifications with the aim:

(a) to prevent modifications that may prejudice safety, in particular by increasing vehicle performance through tampering with the powertrain in order to increase the maximum torque and/ or power and/or maximum designed vehicle speed as declared by the manufacturer of a vehicle upon type-approval, and/or

(b) to prevent damage to the environment.

However yes the problem is the delegated acts, you say  "they are to be subsequently defined by the Commission as they see fit. " however there are amemends by MEPs to the proposal so that the EU Parliament has scrutiny on what the EU Commission is doing.

But still a problem as the whole process would need constant monitoring so that they dont slip anything in.

However the DfT have a consultation at http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-26 and read this

http://www.righttoride.eu/regulationdocuments/UK_Government_Briefing_on_Two_and_Three_Wheeled_Vehicle_090911.doc

You can ride in demos and sign petitions and demand that we should leave the EU - all good stuff.

But the proposals are here right now and being discussed and there is an oportunity to respond.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices