Skip to content

Ask an Expert Keeping warm in cold days!!!!!! Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Keeping warm in cold days!!!!!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zosokam

Oct 11

zosokam says:

Keeping warm in cold days!!!!!!

Hi there, can you please give me some advice as to clothing in autumn/spring. I get cold pretty easily and am after not too expensive but adequate clothing to keep we warm and happy in colder days.
At the moment i've got a leather touring jacket (which is good in terms of protection, perhaps not so with regards to keeping temperature), cheap oxford overtrousers and flip-up Box helmet. I also own good winter gloves, the only gripe with them is they are very heavy duty - a bit hard to operate the controls. With regards to boots, I don't even want to own up to what i'm wearing :)

I understand that textiles are better in worse weather? What about shoes? Also, my helmet lets quite a lot of air through even if i'm wearing a neck sleeve. Is it down to the quality of the helmet or are they all similar in that respect? Will balaclava help?

Sorry for the deluge of questions!! :)
Many thanks for your help.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 October 2011 12:07)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Winter kit

I find that winter kit these days is pretty good.  I have a Hein Gerike textile jacket and trousers for the colder weather.  Both are Goretex and the jacket has a removeable lining.  I find that I do not need much in terms of clothing underneath to stay warm.  J&S Accesories, if you have one near you, also have a good range of kit at all budgets and you can get kitted out there with clothing that will work without spending a fortune.  It is worth checking out the website for both retailers. 

If the kit you have is otherwise OK and you want to stick with it there are ways to make it more effective.  M&S thermal underwear is relatively cheap and very effective.  Highly recommended! 

I have only tried one flip-up style lid and that was a Roof.  Yes, it was draughty but I think that may be an issue with a lot of helmets of that type.  Other guys on the forum may have better experince than I with those but you could try a under-helmet type balaclava. 

As for boots, it sounds like you do need a new pair. Again, J&S may be worth looking at for variety of choice.

Also, check out Ride magazine and their website as they do a lot of testing on kit and their recommendations are usually spot on.  Remeber, whatever other properties any kit you are looking at may have - above all it must fit properly and be comfortable.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

warmth

Heated grips.
Bar muffs.
Thermal under layers (long johns etc).

That's a start.

Reply to this Topic
zosokam

Oct 11

zosokam says:

t

Thanks for your comments. I will buy the thermal underwear tomorrow and give it a go, sounds like it could help.
MarcusMarsh, J&S is not too far from me so might be visiting them soon if the M&S thermal is not enough, thanks.

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

Layers

I managed to get hold of a pair of RAF aircrew socks, they are massively insulating and go most of the way to my knee. The old mantra is lots of layers, so try a pair of football socks OVER your normal ones to trap the warm air in. I say this because I don't know if I am just weird but my feet, once cold take about a week to heat back up again. Also, warm feet mean less painful gear changes :P

Silk glove liners can be sought from eBay for about £6.00, don;t bother with cotton, silk is much finer. It just adds an extra layer of air which doesn;t seem like a lot but trust me it helps.

Lil

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

If you want

a quick sling on thing rather than layering up which can take an age, go to hein gerike and have a gander at their top of the range jackets - Master V, etc. The insulation in that keeps me quite comfortable at a windchill of -21C. Obviously this is combined with the jacket being well constructed to keep holes sealed and a decent windproof layer but if you can find the same sort of thinsulate at the same weight they use, you'll be fine.

As for warmth, get some muffs for £30, after that any non vented gloves will do you - summer gloves, perhaps not. Heated grips are a bonus - if you get oxford muffs you can buy their heated over grips and insert them into the muffs (don't use them as grips as they just fall apart) to create heated muffs. Instructions are supplied with muffs.

If you have a good budget and you want to ride all through winter, you'll have to state how much you're willing to spend and we'll be able to advise. Also, if you pay £100 for a jacket, you'll replace it every year and it'll be adequate. If you pay £500 for a jacket it'll last you five years and be fantastic (as long as you wash and re-waterproof it occasionally). It's a matter of if you have the capital to buy the quality kit outright.

Boots - look at Ride tests - TCX infinity boots (i think) are good.

Neck / hat cold = scarf. I use an old scrim scarf and it's perfect as it traps air and insulates as well as being mashable into the various gaps around your hat. The other thing is a new product from oxford which is like the Foggy - it covers nose and mouth to stop misting and also gives you a bit of a chin curtain as well.

Just remember if you're commuting them you'll not want to be wrapping up like a bloody space man every time you set off. Layer on layer works but it takes ages so look at minimising layers and maximising effectiveness, unless you've plenty of time on your hands. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jimmywiz

Oct 11

jimmywiz says:

M&S

if you do get the M&S ones tell me whay you think of them as i have seen them and there a great deal 2 tops for around £15 or so 

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

warmth

A thin nylon waterproof oversuit (Lidl sell them for approx £16) will keep you VERY warm if worn over your leathers. It stops the wind chill you see.

Lots of thin layers rather that one thick layer is the best way to keep warm. Consider putting a newspaper under your leather across your chest. An old despatch riders trick that one.

I wear ex-para bots. Warm, strong, and very rain proof (but not totally waterproof).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices