Skip to content

General Wrong mountain bike!! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Wrong mountain bike!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Wrong mountain bike!!

Advice please...

There's nowt I love better than getting out into Epping forest on the old mountain bike... but the other day it struck me that I have to use about 3 miles of tarmac roads to get to the forest...

Should I buy a road bike for this section of my journey then swap bikes for the dirttracks??

Is the mountain bike capable of funtioning properly on tarmac? I mean... it's not designed for it is it??? I got a mate who has a road bike and recently we rode to a pub one evening and half the track was gravel...!!! :shock:

He must be mental or something.... crikey, maybe his bike's more versatile than mine cos he didn't crash and die or anything... I dunno.... Is it feasable that a pushbike could be versatile enough to cycle on just about any surface???

Surely not or they wouldn't build specific types of bike would they??? Can anyone imagine a time when you'd be able to use a BMX stuntbike to go down to the shop and buy a bar of chocolate?? Of course you can't!!

:unsure:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 October 2011 13:05)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Cyclo-cross bikes

are the supermotards of the push bike world

Cyclo-Cross Bikes

Cyclo-Cross began in Europe as a form of cross training in the winter for cyclists. Cyclo-Cross is the idea of riding a modified road bike off-road.

While still using drop bars and a majority of the parts used on traditional road bikes, cyclo-cross bikes still have some special needs. With a cyclo-cross bike, you need cantilever brakes for more braking power since some cross course are muddy thus reducing the efficiency of your traditional dual-pivot caliper road brake.

Most cyclo-cross riders use smaller gears on their crank set to allow for easy acceleration due to the steeper pitches found on off-road courses. On all cyclo-cross bikes you will find wider and knobbed tires to help gain traction in the dirt.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Looks to me

as though you're trying to mix sports and touring disciplines, I shall have to ask you to step outside!

How hard is it to talk with your tongue that far in your cheek?:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

mostly..

Mmmmphhm phrrmmmnn owooomthhssnnm mawaarrw..  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Is

this the sort of thing?,you've even got a pillion seat so you can get your pissed mate back from the pub, or treat the misses to scenic tour of Epping Forest.:laugh:

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

That looks like

a touring tongue. Not gettin round the twisties too well, see? Now, if you had a sports tongue you could say antidisestablishmentarianism backwards easily.  BUT.. avoid the sports touring tongue like the plague, nowt but trouble, same as any compromise. Or, just go and ride your bike and have fun.  No playing cards in the spokes tho:mad:

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

solution

check it out 750flyer.

3 miles on mountain bike, no problem. why not do a track day on a C90?

in the meantime, heres a tree for the cyclist and the eco warriors

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Flyer....

semi-slicks for the 3 miles of tarmac and carry a pair of heavy duty wheels with knobblys on.:smile

Reply to this Topic
newbiebikerboy

Apr 04

If it helps, I ride a mountainbike and am currently signed up for the etape caledonian bike run in may, its an 80 mile road ride / race near pitlochrie. Im fully intending on doing this on my mountain bike. Im riding most evenings doing about 25 miles each time all on roads. Currently still got the offroad tires on the bike to. makes no difference what so ever. Come race time i will probably change them for a set of road tires mind you but thats just to make it easier on my legs.

Ride what ever you want:smile

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Jawapawa

This also is tree round bike, the owner has yet to return with his SNICKER' bar as he was seen to be wearing the wrong footwear for the terrain, and he was not wearing cotton socks either so perhaps he has actually thrown a shoe.

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Flyer

you REALLY DONT need separate panniers for hot and cold food stuffs just buy a decent Thermos Flask.

A thermos is a really great invention. It keeps hot hings hot AND (wait for it).............................................

Cold things cold. Amazing

I put soup and ice cream in mine:lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices