Skip to content

General Wrong mountain bike!! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Wrong mountain bike!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Wrong mountain bike!!

Advice please...

There's nowt I love better than getting out into Epping forest on the old mountain bike... but the other day it struck me that I have to use about 3 miles of tarmac roads to get to the forest...

Should I buy a road bike for this section of my journey then swap bikes for the dirttracks??

Is the mountain bike capable of funtioning properly on tarmac? I mean... it's not designed for it is it??? I got a mate who has a road bike and recently we rode to a pub one evening and half the track was gravel...!!! :shock:

He must be mental or something.... crikey, maybe his bike's more versatile than mine cos he didn't crash and die or anything... I dunno.... Is it feasable that a pushbike could be versatile enough to cycle on just about any surface???

Surely not or they wouldn't build specific types of bike would they??? Can anyone imagine a time when you'd be able to use a BMX stuntbike to go down to the shop and buy a bar of chocolate?? Of course you can't!!

:unsure:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 October 2011 13:05)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

I used my quite sporty mountain bike once to pop to the local shop for a choccy bar, the path was fair rough and i must say it coped quite well..

Then, foolishly, I tried to do the 3 :shock: yes 3 miles to the other side of town on the nice smooth, pothole free roads!! Well, 2 punctures and a broken spoke later I realised i was using the wrong bike for the conditions!!

If only I'd asked for advice on this forum 1st I could have avoided such tragedy and embarrassment!! 

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

A long long time ago

before the Americans invented off-road cycling, we used to take bog standard club touring bikes over about 95% of the tracks that MTBers now claim to have discovered. In 1972 I met an old bloke with a fixed wheel tourer, saddlebag and all (yeah, they didn't invent fixed wheel either) on top of Cader Idris. On Christmas Day. And remember the joys of getting a kitted up all-steel childback tandem over a ladder stile in the Black Mountains.

I doubt there's much in Epping Forest that you couldn't do. And certainly nothing you couldn't do on a cyclocross bike, although even 700C knobblies are a bit rough on tarmac.

(I rode the Three Peaks cyclocross once, and for that I did actually switch to a road bike for the on-road bits while my back-up crew mended the stuff I'd broken. But it's a bit much to have to take your dad out with a van full of bikes every time you want to mix road and tarmac...)

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

StealthSV

I can see why your problem was caused, you had the wrong sort of string holding the spoke in place, you needed double sided sticky string.

Obewan
Soup and Ice cream in a thermos flask not an ideal mix and it leaves no room for the SNICKERS bar, which means a thermos is the wrong tool for the job, with a pannier you can carry multitudes of hot or cold consumables in their respective pannier without cross contamination of flavours.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices