Skip to content

Discuss This Best of Bikeshop: Modern classics up for grabs this week General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Best of Bikeshop: Modern classics up for grabs this week

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Best of Bikeshop: Modern classics up for grabs this week

We've been browsing MCN bikes for sale every day to bring you some of our top picks from over 18,000 motorcycles for sale.              Read more modern classics news and features Here's just a few of the fantastic modern classic machines available this week:   ’78 Yamaha XS1100, £1295 Original Yam ‘superbike’ shaftie was more tourer than sportster but durable and significantWe say: Not...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 October 2011 17:22)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

I disagree that every old bike is a 'classic' as seem to be implied with some of the junk on sale here. The car world would not class the Morris marina as a classic surely?

Reply to this Topic
TinkerNZ

Oct 09

TinkerNZ says:

Yeah boybilly

Seems more like 'Modern also rans' this week.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

XS/GS and X&

These 3 were all significant motorcycles in the 70's when launched, the GS750 being the first of Suzuki's big 4 strokes when launched in late 76. it handled and was quick, The XS was Yamaha's venture into the big bike touring market after tentatively dipping their toes in the water with the XS750 triple the year previously and the X7 was almost a 100mph 250, partly to blame for the 125 learner law introduced in 1982.... so no Marina's here.  

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Nice range....

I agree with TrumpetTriple. There are no Marinas here. Closest to a Marina from the 70/80s would be the CB400AT. Now that was a dreadful bike. Automatic and slower than the 250 and ugly too. Alternatively a Z400 or Z440 (Not the beautiful but slow 4 cylinder Z400J but the old twins that used to blow up and be uninspiring even when going well), CZ250 (which you can still buy in the form of a CZ350) or a MZ250 (had an exhaust the size of a industrial chimney)..

The XS11 is very good value for quite a special and usable bike with a touring bias BUT with a really good top gear performance. They were a VERY torquey beast. they used to joke that if you wanted to pull the titanic up use a long rope and an XS11 in second gear...

The GS750 is the classic UJM to me (in a good way). Quite pretty too compared to the CB750FA etc and not at silly money...

The GT250X7 was the bike that everyone wanted for two months between the launch and the RDLC being launched. Not a bad bike but just not as attractive or as fast as an LC which could just break the 100mph barrier. However a good bike to have now.

The honda XL600 is not my thing since I prefer small trial bikes but I guess it has a certain something...

Reply to this Topic
daytona106

Sep 05

daytona106 says:

XL600LMF

Had one of them in the early 90's!

An '86 I think, mine had twin round headlamps, and half a white bucket flattened out for one of the side-covers! 

Handled brilliant through twisties on Avon Gripsters, but couldn't out pace a sorted RG125 on a straight!

It cost a bomb to fill that tank then, wouldn't fancy it at todays pump prices...

Check the tube-less rims carefully, that alloy turns to talcolm powder at the hint of a drop of salt, and remember to drain the oil from the frame and the dry-sump motor.

oh yeah, and short legs need not apply!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
speedy995i

Aug 11

speedy995i says:

had most of the bikes down the years loved me GT 250 i think the older ones were better  75-76

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

Allspeeds

Went to view an X7, in the 80's, didnt like it that much but when I started it up the noise (and smell!) from the 'mandatory' Allspeeds did the trick.  10 minutes later it was mine; happy days.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices