Skip to content

Discuss This Andrea Dovizioso shuns Honda for Tech 3 Yamaha MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Andrea Dovizioso shuns Honda for Tech 3 Yamaha

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Andrea Dovizioso shuns Honda for Tech 3 Yamaha

Andrea Dovizioso has turned down the chance to ride a factory-backed RC213V machine for LCR Honda to agree a deal with Tech 3 Yamaha in 2012. The Italian informed Tech 3 boss Herve Poncharal of his decision yesterday (Friday) and an official announcement is expected on Monday morning. A contract is then likely to be signed during next weekend’s Australian MotoGP round...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 October 2011 14:59)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Sheene Fan7

Mar 03

Sheene Fan7 says:

mistake

i think he`s made a big mistake

the honda is the bike to be on right now

and with tech3 he will be on old works yams that already cant match this year honda

Reply to this Topic
Sheene Fan7

Mar 03

Sheene Fan7 says:

opps forgot there changing to 1000cc lol

even so still a mistake

Reply to this Topic
Lorenzo99

Jun 10

Lorenzo99 says:

Dovi's Gamble

I think the main reason Dovi has desided to go to Tec 3 is that if he had stayed with LCR Honda he would be stuck there for the rest of his carear.The problem with Dovi is he is very good but its that elusive little bit extra,some thing special,that vava voom so to speak.Dovi's strenghts are he is nearly always in the top 6 & he very rarly crashes making him very consistant.

I hope his gamble pays off because being a 1 year contract with Yamaha makes it just that.If he does well will they offer him another contract,offer him a factory ride or show him the door.The factory ride seems very unlikly as I don,t think Yamaha will want to replace Ben unless he has a disasterous season which I very much dout.Taking the place of Cal ? could be a possibility,I think if he beats Cal then his job will be safe because Brad will be taking the other bike.

P.S. Nice to see lots of really good posts & very little handbags by the yellow & orange panty brigade.I wear blue ones by the way :)

Reply to this Topic
RossiDukeBiker46

Jul 10

Nice one Dovi, you deserve a better team...

Especially when you're third in the world rankings and then pushed out of your own team!!! Dovi has had a great season but as Wosi states "how much is the bike and how much the rider"? Stoner wouldn't be where he is without the bike being an extra 10% better than the others. Hopefully all manufacturers might be a bit more equally matched In 2012 coz they are far, far from it this year.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

First season

Yes, but there is no way the customer bikes will be equal to the factory bikes and that can easily be managed anyway with electronics and engine power.

As I said in my previous comment, Dovi has never finished above 4th on a factory bike, he is only 3rd this year because Pedrosa has missed races and even started the season injured. Pedrosa will finish in front of him on pace alone, other incidents excepted. Knock him down another place if Rossi was on a bike more to his liking.

He has never looked like a championship winner and I can't see how that would convince an established factory team to give him a works bike again - only a new or struggling team. Being consistent and capable of top 6 placings and regular points is no use if you are after a championship winner. It's ok if you have someone who can do that and purely want a no.2 to score points for the constructor's championship. However, what happens if your no.1 is injured? No.2 then has no chance of a championship win in his place. As a factory, you're looking for a potential 1 - 2 finish, surely. Yamaha had that capability with Rossi/Lorenzo and probably thought they had it with Spies/Lorenzo and Honda have it now with Pedrosa/Stoner.

The remarks about the RCV are again biased. Dovi is holding 3rd due to  circumstance not pace and is well behind a bike considered by you as inferior, also for the reasons above he could just as easily be 4th again - even 5th. Other riders have mad better use of a factory ride. There is just no reason to suggest he will be offered another.

RDB - sod off with your crud, this is about Dovi, no-one else.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Bultoboy

I agree with a lot  of what your saying- I can understand why Honda would prefer Pedrosa to Dovi. But on your own performance based arguments how can Honda overlook Dovi in preferance for Simo? Simo's been on a factory supported bike all year and is over 70 pionts adrift of Dovi. He might not set the world on fire but consistency pays off. Personaly I think Simo will become another not quite alien. Not that it really matters any factory supported honda rider at the moment is just warming the seat for Marquez to come through and fair play I think Dovi recognised that. Marquez- 1yr on a (Simo's) factory supported Gresini then onto a full factory (Pedrosas) Seat.

Reply to this Topic
fockyerdoder

Sep 11

fockyerdoder says:

@diceman

"how can Honda overlook Dovi in preferance for Simo?"

How about they didn't? HRC offered the same deal to Dovi had he signed with LCR. Short of riding for HRC itself that was the best he could expect.

He's probably smart enough to know what he's doing. So I guess the Tech3 Yamahas will indeed be pretty much factory spec as well. If he somehow manages to beat Lorenzo or Spies, then he will have another go at a factory ride. And if he is not fast enough his situation with Tech3 will be no worse than with LCR.

Reply to this Topic
pi34

Aug 10

pi34 says:

If If If

If Perdrosa hadn't crashed out, he would be third. If Rossi had a better bike. He would be worldchamp. If Ben hadn't had that incident. He would have beaten Dovi last race. If my cat would be a cow I would have had fresh milk every morning. Consistency is something you have to work for and a talent on is own. And as he showed the last 3 seasons Dovi is consistent. There is no shame in being top 5 for 3 years. Hayden became Worldchamp in 2006, where is he now? Still riding a factorybike. Pedrosa had his chance for 4 years now and never payed off. Still riding a factorybike So i don't see any problems with Dovi on a factorybike. Let us all hope it's gonna be a great season in 2012!! On the lighter side of life. Anybody an idea were crashtestdummie DePuniet is gonna be next year?

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Dovi

Is good enough for a factory ride, the extra support from tech 3 could be what he needs. 

Honda does not develop riders. They shat all over nicky and failed to turn dani into championship material, they even let stoner go cus they thought he was a crasher! . And if simoncelli- who has been faster than the mighty Stoner a few times this year- fails to sort his crashing out that will be honda failing another rider. 

Yamaha on the other hand keeps betting on sbk riders who just can't seem to find their feet on the gp bikes, but look what they achived when they backed lorenzo. 

I reckon we'll see a very different Dovi next season. 

And Herve has already told cal he will have a ride in 2013. So at a guess Dovi would not have signed if he hadn't had at least a verbal promise at a shot on a factory ride. 

Perhaps yamaha want a factory rider who doesn't bring his mum to parc ferme!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fockyerdoder

Sep 11

fockyerdoder says:

@zogg

"Honda does not develop riders. They shat all over nicky and failed to turn dani into championship material, they even let stoner go cus they thought he was a crasher! ."

They didn't "sh*t all over" Nicky. Don't you remember Dani going mental about Nicky supposedly stealing his setups, pulling up a wall in the pit? I thought it was funny at the time. But Honda had to send one of them away because of this after they were teammates for 3 years.

Casey they didn't "let go". He got an offer to join a factory team from Ducati. Honda had a recent champion and Repsol's sticker-boy. They weren't gonna drop either of those for Casey back then. So he was gone. In hindsight it maybe wasn't so smart. But who was rating Casey back then? Did you? I don't think so.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices