Skip to content

Discuss This Brands Hatch BSB: Hill takes championship in photo finish British Superbikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > British Superbikes > Brands Hatch BSB: Hill takes championship in photo finish

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Brands Hatch BSB: Hill takes championship in photo finish

Tommy Hill has won the 2011 British Superbike championship after beating John Hopkins in the final race of the season by six thousandths of a second. With just two points separating the pair going into the race, each rider knew all he had to do wrap up the title was finish ahead of the other. Hill was stuck behind Hopkins for the majority of the race...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 October 2011 17:50)

Post a message in British Superbikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stonerfan

Apr 11

stonerfan says:

rock on Tommy!

well done Tommy! and Alistair Seeley! but did u see the strop on Hopper! never good to get beat but i hope he never races BSB again!

Reply to this Topic
apexgrinder

Jul 11

apexgrinder says:

Well done Hill

Great result, i think this summarises the tension watching this on TV:

BSB showdown delivers spectacular photo finish

Also i couldn't help but feel gutted for Hopper, such a nice guy and a good racer!

Reply to this Topic
Ozzie3

Dec 04

Ozzie3 says:

Strop on Hopper

You can't blame Hopper for having a strop on him,having just lost a championship by 6 thousands of a second would you like a mic shoved in your face. He must feel he has let his million pound backers and his team down,do you expect him to go round like a Cheshire cat. I was glad to see Tommy win and hope that Hopper is back in BSB next year.He had been a brilliant rider and a perfect gent on camera. If anyone should have a strop in it should be Shakey,by my reakoning he would be champion by by 5 points from Tommy and Hopper a further 40 points off Tommy. Well done Tommy you deserve it after last year and thank you Hopper for being such a sportsman.Im sure you will get your revenge.

Reply to this Topic
Adeninja

Mar 10

Adeninja says:

nice one Tommy

Wat a last few laps , Hats of to you Tommy Hill and wat a race by James Ellison nice to see you up there , nearly forgot nice double race win by Shane Byrne ,

Reply to this Topic
OxonJohn

Jun 09

OxonJohn says:

Hopkins

This guy has been a consummate professional all season, and to read some idiot on here "hoping he isn't back next year" just shows the depths that this forum has descended into. Few of us know what its like to compete for a major national championship. It can't be great to have a microphone thrust in your face being expected to answer inane questions minutes after having a year's work come to nothing. He wasn't "having a strop". He was gutted. Who wouldn't be?

He lost a Championship by 0.006 of a second. He missed out on 2 races because of a hand injury picked up in a wild card Moto GP ride. That's why he's not Champion. He never bitched about it when stuff went wrong, and never bad-mouthed a fellow competitor. Quality rider.

Well done Tommy Hill. Not my favourite rider, but he did the job on the day.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Alas

Unfortunately I think that's the last we'll see of Hopper in this championship. He's been a credit to watch and a great ambassador to an amazing series, and fully deserves a world championship ride next year ( be it Moto GP or WSB ) Absolutely gutted for the guy, but it just highlights the strength of competition in BSB - there are no slouches in the pointy end of the championship. Hats off to Tommy though, he showed absolute strength of character today and an undying desire to win, and the last couple of laps of todays race will go down in British racing folklore. Brilliant stuff.

Reply to this Topic
NickoftheNorth

Oct 11

Unadjusted Points Totals

I know that the rules are the rules and the guys knew how it would work before they started, BUT, if standard point scoring applied without title shoot out and podium credits, etc then Shaky would have finished on 403, Tommy would have come second on 398, and Hopper would have been a relatively distant third on 358.

The argument that rules are necessary to ensure a close finale therefore don't really wash this year - going into the final race Shaky and Tommy would have been dead level on 378, and Shaky's win would have been the difference.

Anyway.  Congrats to Tommy who rode a great race, and hope that Shaky and Hopper come back strong next year.  Would be nice if Hopper got a ride in GP next year after re-proving himself somewhat. 

Reply to this Topic
Doug66

Feb 06

Doug66 says:

Race of the year!!!!

On the edge of my seat - shouting at the TV. Will remember for years. Priceless

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Chuffed to bits for shakey's last 2 races, the real champion without bullshit rules.

Reply to this Topic
kawacarpo

Nov 07

kawacarpo says:

points system

Will people stop harking on about if you used the old points system Shakey would have been Champion?They know the points system and plan accordingly.Would have Hopper missed Cadwell knowing that he couldnt drop his worst results?Its not like they do the Shootout on the final round,its three whole rounds and hundreds of points to win!Hill is a deserved Champion with everything he has been through.Feel for Hopper but he is climbing back into World level.Great racing and a great weekend.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices