Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati reveal 195bhp V-twin 'Superquadro' New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Ducati reveal 195bhp V-twin 'Superquadro'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Ducati reveal 195bhp V-twin 'Superquadro'

This is the radical, all-new 1200cc 'Superquadro' engine which will power Ducati’s eagerly awaited new superbike, the 1199 Panigale – and it’s set to revolutionize superbikes. In this week’s MCN – out Wednesday – Ducati chief Claudio Domenicali reveals the engine is: incredibly ‘oversquare’ – where piston diameter, or bore, exceeds stroke. The engine is dubbed ‘Superquadro’ which is Italian for ‘Super...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 October 2011 10:11)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Where'd the rods go?

All I can see are a big end and a little end. Those valves are saucers dancing a top a dinner plate.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

Gear Driven Cams

I was expecting to see Honda VFR / VTR type gear driven cams, not cam chains. Maybe we will have to wait for the SP model.  

cheers

gogs

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Panigale

Thought that it would have gear driven cams as well, obviously not! Maybe that will change! Phenomenal power though from a V twin motor! Wonder if it'll fit in my 998S?!!!!!!!!!!! It's almost or the same as my Desmo!! Unbelievable really!! It's taking the V twin motor to a new level. Wonder what output the "R" will have???????????? 220bhp?????????

Reply to this Topic
MrTankslapper91

Mar 11

Project effort

Does this mean ducati been sat on there arses for the past 20 years =/ well atleast better now than never

Reply to this Topic
2vforeva

Sep 11

2vforeva says:

Finally a new gearbox in a Ducati!

Design wise I can see a lot of Aprilia and Rotax in there, but they are all twins so you can only do so much to make them look different.

I see they are no longer using the crummy gearbox design and selection mechanisim they first made in the Pantah in 1980. Yay!

Nastro I agree with you, where the hell did the rods go? I think due to the size of the piston bore and the size of the main journals it looks like the rods are 20mm long!

I hear the main bearings are plain shells to, no rollers in there to go walk about. These are force feed from a new (shock horror) oil pump system.

Nicely done. My hats off to the Bologna Mafiaso.

Reply to this Topic
screamer69

Oct 05

screamer69 says:

@Eddy998

its Chain And Gear driven Cams..look at the pic again...

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

superquadro...superpower?

YES,Ducati have changed from belt to a combination of gears/chain,similar to SUZUKI TL/SV models. Lets hope the chain is super heavy duty to drive the cams ey? I would have liked to have seen G.D.C'S,like on the Desmoseidici,though!!!

Reply to this Topic
sandmacker

Oct 10

sandmacker says:

fragile ??

It's taken them over ten years to catch up with Hondas Vtwin with the gear driven cams . Is this motor going to have the low down grunt now that the motor is oversquare ? These motors are becoming so powerful I'm starting to question just how long these motors will last

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Panigale

Thanks screamer69.    I thought that the cams would have been gear driven from the crank, as in the Desmo, not connected by a chain. Anyway, guess it's better than belts, for the moment. Next step, all gears, no chain? Is the gearbox now the "cassette type" where you can take it out without an engine strip? Looks pretty impressive, taking the v-twin to a new level! Ciao!

Reply to this Topic
keith24

Jul 04

keith24 says:

its taken them

A while to get near Richard Britten ..his Vtwin had 180 bhp 30 years ago !

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices