Skip to content

Discuss This The Monotracer: What do you think? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The Monotracer: What do you think?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

The Monotracer: What do you think?

This is a Monotracer; a £100,000 fully-enclosed motorcycle powered by a BMW K1200 engine. In one form or another, they’ve been around for decades, and MCN has generally placed them on the pile marked ‘Interesting but largely irrelevant’ because of their price. But a Monotracer fan keeps pestering us to write more about them in the newspaper so we’d like your...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 October 2011 09:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

Mono-scary ?

I would shit a brick in one of these... cant explain why but even watching the video i get nervous ...

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

MCN

Any chance you could get hold of one and do a shootout against a selection of other bikes - sports, sports-tourers and see how it compares?

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Odd but interesting...

Ok so we overlook the stupid price point, it's obsensively a covered bike.  Interesting, no doubt as the increased weather protection would appeal to some.  I can't get over the lack of the ability to put your foot down at junctions and I'm not sure I'd trust the stablisers.  Would be interesting to see how it might stack up against bikes in various areas (commuting, on the track etc). Would be silly to pooh pooh the idea before we've given it a chance to prove it's self.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Quaser?

looks like one of those 'Quasers' from the  80s.... anyone else remember them?

Baz

Reply to this Topic
Chromatic

Jul 04

Chromatic says:

Any biker who thinks they would't have an absolute blast 'flying the road' in one of these is wearing blinkers. Top Gun! Top Fun! Crazy price - but MCN have covered other OTT priced stuff before, so why not the monotracer.

Reply to this Topic
gsxr1969

Apr 04

gsxr1969 says:

Good on cobbled streets

I saw one of these last month whilst I was driving through Helsinki, Finland. It had Swiss or German plates. He was driving with a passenger on wet cobbled streets in light rain with heavy traffic. The stabilisers move very fast and he seemed confident. Suppose it just takes a bit of practice. It created quite a bit of interest from pedestrians. Nice to see something different.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Quasar & Phasar

Yes, I remember the feet forward Quasar, it looked like a two-wheeled Bond Bug.

I also remember the Z1300 engined version, the Phasar.

Problem with all these beasties is the weight and tyre wear, they're just not at all practical and never caught on.

The Quadro 4D is more worthy of MCN column inches than the MonoTracer imo.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Bike with roof, but...

I'm not sure I would want one. I like having to wear helmet and leathers. Be good in wet though...

I'll keep my collection of 125's and a 600. (Much Cheaper)

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

This thing is Swiss made yes?

I remember reading about this thing circa 1984 with a K100 engine. A reasonable concept for shitty cold weather if you're affluent enough.

But surely a large part of the enjoyment a motorcycle offers is the fact you're 'in' the environment and not cocooned away.

Reply to this Topic
JKF011

Oct 11

JKF011 says:

The Monotracer: What do you think?

Handles better than a superbike and has a LONGER wheelbase? Are they takin the piss? I'm sure it's a cool ride but comparing it to a superbike is like chalk and cheese.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices