Skip to content

Discuss This Changes to bike test revealed General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Changes to bike test revealed

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Changes to bike test revealed

Changes to the motorcycle test aimed at improving safety have emerged. Exercises in which many learners have crashed will be conducted at lower speeds to make them safer. Previously learners have been strictly required to reach at least 31mph before swerving around cones and performing an emergency stop, but trials are underway in which they only have to go 27mph. They are...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 October 2011 11:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GeorgeJungle

Aug 11

GeorgeJungle says:

125cc, 10 bhp is the problem

I hate these smart ass comments about how easy it is to pass. Try it on a 125cc , 10 bhp bike like a YBR 125. I have failed twice, each time by 1kmph, thats 0.6 mph.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

It's interesting that such a similar manouevre isn't part of the car test, but then you have to remember that most modern cars have ABS, ASR and all the other gadgets that supposedly prevent loss of control. Which is fine until little Johnny gets back in his Saxo "Wikkid" - which doesn't have any such aids. Hardly a fair testing regime, is it?

Reply to this Topic
donkey93

Apr 11

donkey93 says:

i had no problem with the off road test my speeds were 54 and 56 kph (33.6 and 34.8 mph) on a cg125 and i'm over 15 stone you just need to carry more speed round the bend and i just stayed in 2nd and when i was doing the training my instructor set everything out smaller so when i came to do the test it was piss easy

Reply to this Topic
firebirdharris

Aug 09

ybr 125

i was about 110kg (16 stone?) when i did my module 1 test on my old ybr. A 125 can easily do it, it's whether the rider carries enough speed out of the turn/bend that matters (and whether the bike's in good condition). Either way the test was stupid as a test, all circus stuff tbh, the training was fun though, never pushed the bike that hard on the road, i even hit a cone when i was training and dragged it in front of the engine for about 6 metres during training, that was an interesting experience.

Reply to this Topic
Colzer

Feb 10

Colzer says:

doddle

i did it first time on a 125 with out any problems, My instructor was good and got me a session at the test centre the sunday before my test to allow me to practice.

Reply to this Topic
kaioxygen

Oct 10

kaioxygen says:

Really?

I don't wish to sound harsh but if someone is going to crash doing an emergency stop going 31 mph, should they really be allowed to be on the road at all?

Reply to this Topic
BrickTop

Oct 11

BrickTop says:

Sell it

So we have gone from one form of test to another, few  years ago massive rush of people trying to get through the "old" test, new test arrives, numbers drop off big time and some poor folks loose there jobs or businesses..shed load of money spent on new test areas, cost of training and tests go up..and now possible changes coming again back to one test completed on road. What have we learnt.???

I feel sorry for all the new riders that have forked out there hard earned cash on Mod 1 & 2.

Apart from a possible reduced cost to training, how are they going to sell this new test to the next generation of bikers after they have just turned the last lot over.?

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

At least they are listening

Well it seems like the govt has listened for a change, if a few people suffered in the process let's hope the govt has learned something from this.

A test should reflect competence on the road, however riders should be encouraged to follow up after with some advanced riding lessons, but none compulsory.

Back in the day you used to get insurence discounts for advance rider training, I wonder does this still happen?

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

Test

I instructed beginners, intermediate and advanced track school riding for many years - as well as licence tests. I personally think the licence test is too easy. Let's face it... apart from pulling off from the lights who actually rides at 27mph??? I honestly think there should be 2 stages. The current, slow test, to get the new bikers up and riding with some amount of safety and knowledge. This however, should be followed up by an "advanced riding" course of some kind. When you have passed both, then you should get your licence. I know of many many many bikers who never learn any more than the basic licence test, and then wonder why they cannot stop or swerve in an emergency. These things take practice to get them right!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices