Skip to content

Discuss This Australia MotoGP: Casey Stoner dominates to take championship MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Australia MotoGP: Casey Stoner dominates to take championship

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Tom Cambio  says:

Australia MotoGP: Casey Stoner dominates to take championship

Casey Stoner was on dominant form to win his home race at Phillip Island with a 2.2 second lead and secure the 2011 MotoGP world championship. The Repsol Honda rider made a strong start and led throughout an intermittently wet race to take the championship win with a 65 point lead over Jorge Lorenzo. The Spanish Yamaha Factory Racing rider was...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 October 2011 07:24)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

davevr46, i agree.

I agree the other's need to up their game, and that's it. Not that Stoner needs to slow down to make things interesting and not that he needs to go back to the worst bike on the grid to prove himself once again. So yeah, the other's need to up their game, that's all it comes down to.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

everyone complaining about it boring you know what you need to do, stop bitching about the riders, demand less electronics, it makes it like F1

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

CONGRATS

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LAMEUZ   :        HAH!!!! I'VE TOLD YAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

TOTAL VINDICATION...

And so, the inevitability since Casey Stoner first got on the Honda has come to pass. One great rider races into the distance for his 32ndMotoGP victory and 2nd World Title – while another “loses the front” and crashes whilst fighting for crumbs. As Stoner revelled on the victory dais, Rossi was at his pit garage in deep Team huddles examining telemetry & trying to work out what had happened. They still don’t know. Shades of 2009 & 2010-but what a total role-reversal 2011 has been!

Is there anyone left in the World that doesn’t recognise Stoner’s bravery and talent on both Ducati and Honda – apart from sour, one-eyed cretins who have constantly shown in their clear-as-mud reality, they wouldn’t know what day of the week it was, let alone very much at all about motorcycle racing?
Contrast this sad season-long post-race Ducati garage scene with the glittering week-long Marlboro joint launch back in January for Ferrari & Ducati at Madonna di Campiglio in the Italian Dolomites. This lavish soiree involved hosting over 100 race journalists from around the World and feting & hosing them down with as much alcohol and fine food as they could imbibe. To the chagrin of the car guys, the moment Rossi walked in almost everyone did a bolter to him and away from Alonso and Massa. To the embarrassment and chagrin of the bike guys, shrieking TV hack, Toby Moody later harangued Rossi with a “finger-jabbing” fishwife impression. Moody blissfully unaware that VR very obviously wished he was anywhere but with this babbling moron. That was then and this is now. Whatever happened to the happy Marlboro and Rossi and Ducati script for 2011?

Attitudes could have been quite different if Rossi had held his acid tongue in check. Instead, he made such comments as, “obviously Stoner wasn’t riding the Ducati hard enough” and other barbs – while the erstwhile sensible realist, Jerry Burgess scoffed that Ducati front-end woes suffered by Stoner “could easily be overcome with an 80 second set-up fix!” These hubristic quips were encouraged by 10 years of every casual aside being accepted as Gospel by an unquestioning, adoring, slobbering media pack. This stuff rebounded embarrassingly & dented the magic and credibility of both men as the season unfolded. Witness VR’s latest “slow learner” attack on Mick Doohan – just like similar knee-jerk bitchiness with Glaucomo Agostini - uncalled for and sad. Ducati has lurched from one big money, big input, updates like hail and multiple chassis etc continuing failure to yet another. An extra 2 transporters worth at every Round didn’t prevent a slow-motion train wreck that no-one can deny or exculpate. Exactly as predicted months back, drama is brewing @ Bologna – Preziosi is under the microscope and focus of a blame-game. But Rossi –failure on failure on failure - has to shoulder his portion. My belief is he is “over” it. Comments as such from luminaries Doohan, Agostini and Pernat etc can be fielded and denied by Rossi till the cows come home but there is much more than grains of truth there. Again, I predicted 4 wheels & the WRC for Rossi last year – the only error was my timing IMHO.

Much rubbish was also spouted by the usual suspects about Rossi, Ducati and their chances for 2012 with the new 1,000cc and CRT competition. To those whom I 100% accurately said would be “suicidal” come late October 2011 – I now say this: please don’t delude and disappoint yourselves all over again. My prediction is for HRC to be the leading team & the best machine – and for Casey Stoner to triumph again with a three-peat. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

aquarius

i agree. 2012 would be honda. but that's if yamaha not improve. but i am sure yamaha would invent the best bike to challenge honda. and lorenzo would be there much keen to challenge stoner.

BEASTY????? GP11.6???? do you think this is a software or a game that you make lots of version??? LOL. just like someone said, rossi was just so lucky that nobody competitif enough to beat him. look all of his opponent in the past. where do they go now?

if suzuki resign from motogp, I AM SURE 10000% ROSSI WOULD GET RETIRE AFTER NEXT YEAR!!!!! nobody wants to hire him anymore. his silver tongue has pay the price now. hail for 9 times lucky WC, ass developer, master moaning, MR. ROSSI!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Mort77

Mar 09

Mort77 says:

Aquarius

I'm not going to pick through your thesis point by point as I don't have access to the inner sanctum of the Marlboro Ducati team and therefore don't know what was or wasn't said at their launch party. What I will pick you up on however is the insinuation that Preziosi is somehow being made the scapegoat for Ducati and Rossi's failure this year. Please do tell us where the blame should lie. After all the main problem has been the lack of feel from the front end - a problem that existed when Casey was riding the beast and one that Ducati did nothing to fix. I think it's fair to assume that it is a design fault and that lays the blame at the feet of Mr Preziosi.

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

carlos checa

i must say he is right. it would be better for rossi to go to WSBK. place for old dogs. it suit him i'm sure. thank you.

Reply to this Topic
Smackbum

Jun 11

Smackbum says:

King Casey

Fantastic birthday present to win the race and championship at your home GP.  Casey has shown himself to be the top motorcycle rider in the world .... this year.

Yes - it would have been sweeter if Jorge was there to keep Casey honest, but if Motegi had gone to plan (for Stoner) he would have been guaranteed the championship if he won at Phillip Island.  As it was the gruesome accident to Jorge's finger meant that he could no longer delay the inevitable.

But is this any guide to 2012?  Yes and No.  Certainly Honda will be on a roll, and with 2 Aliens under contract to the factory team they will launch a 2-pronged attack on Yamaha.  Ben Spies will have to knuckle down and start making regular appearances on the podium to help his teammate at the Yamaha tracks, as well as riding shotgun to keep Marco at bay.

The problem is the other contenders.  Suzuki are still umming and ahhing about trying to run a MotoGP campaign on the cheap, and Ducati need to petition the Vatican for divine chassis intervention.  Without them running a decent challenge and providing platforms for wanna-be aliens, it will again be the gang of three (Casey, Jorge, Dani) who exchange wins each round.

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Aquarius

Wow, what a fabulously detailed comment ! Lots of excellent truths there. I honestly believe the man who could best master the machine won this year, much in the way he did when he won with Ducati in 2007. It seems clear that had Casey not been able to dominate on the Honda this year the title would have again gone the way of Jorge on the Yamaha (allowing for injury abscences of Pedrosa). Much like 2007 he was able to get the best from the package for the most of the time and thats what makes a champion. Will it be a pre-cursor for 2012?? Im not sure, the great Casey dominated in 2007 to still winning races in 08, but as always in Moto GP and othe motor sports no one else stands still and everyone (riders and manufactures) shares the spoils at the top. Its an exciting prospect next year !! On the lead balloon that is the Ducati...... They seriously need a re-think about their priorities. They have great riders, including one considered to be the best of all time and they cant get anywhere near the front consistently. True the Honda's dominate as the factory bikes are a league in front of anything else, but they are now regularly outshone by Suzuki also. There is much rumour floating around that the in-fighting at Bologna is the problem, the moto gp division pleading for conventional chassis design that proven works, and the marketing division saying no way sunshine, we just built a whole new super panigalle bike around our ailing stressed member concept and changing it now is corporate suicide. Danger is doing nothing and trying to please all camps with minor strange concessions like aluminium spider leg extension etc etc etc, is just robbing them of development time for next season and another mid pack flurry looks to be the best bet for 2012.... but how much more frustration can they bear from the press, paddock, and riders and their fans before they damage their marketing plans anyway.... time will tell ... Oh and big congrats Casey, what a year !!

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

Mort77 – our old Haggis...

Oh, Mort – you silly Scottish stuffed sausage! Everyone knows it is ALL Preziosi’s fault, after all – fair, balanced and totally rational engineering geniuses such as huge lean and RDB46 et al have been bleeding and barfing this nonsense for several months now, right?

You “assume” – and when anyone assumes – they make an “ass” out of “u” and “me”. A “design fault” eh? Here is an extract from my post of October 5th : - “And the kicker: he (Preziosi) shrugs off suggestions there is an element of risk hiring Rossi, because if they win, everyone will congratulate Rossi, but if they lose, Ducati will be blamed...” This came from an interview that was done many months before and no-one needed the gift of prescience to predict exactly that would happen if Rossi & Ducati lost... More from my post of that date too: - Giacomo Agostini: Stoner, however, is a more aggressive and raw rider, without any half measures; at Ducati he was either fast or he crashed. Put simply, Rossi needs a perfect bike, but Stoner doesn't. It reminds me a little bit of myself and Mike Hailwood. He was less sensitive to feeling that the bike wasn't right. When I tried his bike it felt like a piece of iron to me, but he was able to go fast with it." And Ducati’s design genius Filipo Preziosi - asked about his relationship with Valentino Rossi - and Rossi having suffered many defeats at the hands of Preziosi’s own creation – looks embarrassed and quietly says, “It was Casey (Stoner) who beat him.”...

No-one can swerve-around, ignore, exculpate or develop sudden chronic selective amnesia that Casey Stoner on pretty-much the same CF-framed machine, Won his very first Race on it and got 7 x Wins, 10 other Podiums, 7 x Poles, 5 x Fastest laps and 220 points in only 13 x Starts in 2009 and 225 in 2010 on the thing. Let us never forget that in the 2009 season, Stoner raced with the painful handicap of a 4 x part wrist and suffered serious illness, missing 3 entire Rounds and crashing out of the final in Valencia on the sighting Lap. By comparison, in 2011 Rossi has only 139 points and Hayden 132 with just 2 Rounds to go. “Design fault”? Before anyone has a screaming, shrieking hissy fit – please note, I am totally ignoring and discounting both Stoner’s 2007 Title-winning season AND 2008 where he managed 280 Points (the highest to never take the Title) on the alloy-framed Desmo. This makes for the fairest & closest comparison possible. Please see: http://www.gizmag.com/ducati-desmosedici-gp9-takes-first-motogp-win-for-carbon-fibre-construction/11456/

Anyone heard of that great French word. “Ennui”? It means, listlessness, lacking motivation, weariness, boredom and discontent. Anyone remember Manuel Poggiali, the whizz kid from San Marino? He ran away with the 125cc Title in 2001, backing that up with the 250cc Title in 2003-the only rider since Freddie Spencer & Tetsuya Harada to be World 250 Champ in their first season in the Class. He was expected by all to become a killer rider but following a squash court injury at Losail, Qatar from late 2004, faded away to fail again and again to pull the pin & finally retire mid-way through 1998 @ just 25 - never even getting a Podium again after a 3rd @Phillip Island in 2004. An enigma put entirely down to ennui. Pogialli just couldn’t find his mojo no more. Cheers

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices