You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Speedo requirement

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

secondaaaa

Oct 11

secondaaaa says:

Speedo requirement

I have bought a 2001 Suzuki xf650 freewind and I failed the mot because I got talking to the guy & informed him that I had wired a convertor to convert the speedo correctly from Kph to Mph for the first time in its life. But he then asked me to show how I can switch it back to Kph. Well you can imagine my anger when he failed me as I am not able to do that.

Now I want to know can I buy a cheap speedo from the likes of Halfords that takes two mins to wire up and take it back to the test centre as it now can read in dual??

Please can someone tell me is this ok?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 October 2011 17:48)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

speedo

Welcome s,I had a xf650 years ago and could set the digital speedo to either mph/kph.Try google for how.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

speedo

Find a better MOT station. Don't mention the speedo.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

eatcs01

Good idea but, with all the MOT's now being 'electronic', will there not be a record of the failure and the reason for it on the database? 

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Speedo

Speedo is not required for MOT and is not a testable item. It is only required for Construction and Use regs.

Reply to this Topic
secondaaaa

Oct 11

secondaaaa says:

Speedo requirements N02

I do not wish to be ignorant but I thought this forum was `Ask an expert` the replys im getting here are not from experts.
The following is for the chap that said it is not a legal requirement.

Road Traffic Act -
Vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1984 the speedometer should be capable of indicating the speed in miles per hour and kilometres per hour. Vehicles may instead comply with EC Regulation (Community Directive) 97/39 or ECE Reg 39.
These directives stipulate the markings, graduations of the speedometer and refer to 75/443/EEC which specifies the tolerances

Am I in the wrong forum??

Many Thanks,

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Speedo MOT

as far as i know its not a requirment of the MOT to even have a speedo

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

secondaaaa

Yes, you are in the right section.  'Experts' can be identified easily as their profiles are marked as such - although none have responded to your question in this instance.  Any responses from the rest of us mortals are given in good faith and to the best of our knowledge if anyone feels that they can help with your question.

You can choose to take the help / advice / comment they offer or not as you see fit.   

Reply to this Topic
RougharseRacing

Oct 11

Speedo requirement

What does it say on the fail sheet? They can only fail it on testable items.

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Speedo

Secondaaaa said:
The following is for the chap that said it is not a legal requirement.

If you mean me, chap, you need to read again what I wrote and try to understand it. I never said it was not a legal requirement; I said it was not needed for the MOT, only for C & U regs. As you have now done lots of research into this, you will obviously know the correct answer without anyone else having to help.

Reply to this Topic
secondaaaa

Oct 11

secondaaaa says:

chap,,,,,,,,

:lol:.... Speedo is not required for MOT and is not a testable item.:tongue:
Road Traffic Act -
Vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1984 the speedometer should be capable of indicating the speed in miles per hour and kilometres per hour.:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices