You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Speedo requirement

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

secondaaaa

Oct 11

secondaaaa says:

Speedo requirement

I have bought a 2001 Suzuki xf650 freewind and I failed the mot because I got talking to the guy & informed him that I had wired a convertor to convert the speedo correctly from Kph to Mph for the first time in its life. But he then asked me to show how I can switch it back to Kph. Well you can imagine my anger when he failed me as I am not able to do that.

Now I want to know can I buy a cheap speedo from the likes of Halfords that takes two mins to wire up and take it back to the test centre as it now can read in dual??

Please can someone tell me is this ok?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 October 2011 17:48)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Speedo (again)

You're still confusing Construction and Use Regs (Road Traffic Act) with the requirements of the MOT test. The two are completely seperate.
It needs a speedo to comply with the C & U regs BUT IT IS NOT A TESTABLE ITEM ON THE MOT - i.e it cannot be failed if the speedo does not work or does not even exist.

....and don't take the piss with smilies when you patently don't know what you're talking about.

Reply to this Topic
secondaaaa

Oct 11

secondaaaa says:

MY mistake!!!!!!

I will have to inform the goverment department that employs the guy at the test centre where I live that he has failed my bike wrongly and hopefully get him the sack.
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

there is no way for the mot man to check if the speedo fitted to a bike works or not. as my bikes speedo is broken and will pass.

a speedo is only need by law but not for a mot.

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

MOT Test

I doubt very much if he's employed by a Government department, more likely a garage employee.

If you want to appeal the test, you can do so through VOSA, part of the DfT.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices