Skip to content

Discuss This Join our ride against stifling EU plans General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Join our ride against stifling EU plans

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Join our ride against stifling EU plans

Details of MCN’s planned Brussels protest rally over restrictive EU measures for biking are announced today. We aim to stage a protest ride where meddling Eurocrats can’t miss it by starting and finishing outside European Parliament in Brussels. The action is backed by the British Motorcyclists Federation, the UK’s biggest rider group, and a Facebook group called ‘MCN Back-off EU’. We’ll meet...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 October 2011 11:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

A worthwhile cause but at that time of year when the weather is going to be bad, I wouldn't expect a big turn-out. I hope to be proved wrong! Lets have another ride-out demo next year like the MAG September one, only this time, lets have a demo in the middle of a town or city where a number of rides can meet up and put their point across instead of just going home after and no-one knows what the ride was for. I spoke to non-bikers after the Sept event who saw it and just thought it was a club ride-out. What a waste!

Reply to this Topic
MrWonderful

Feb 11

MrWonderful says:

Same rules for all?

If the EU mandarins always proposed introducing the same rules for cars as bikes, we might see some sense prevail. They all seem to have cemented their views of bikers from 'The Wild One' back in the fifties, and ignore the mass killing of teenagers, five at a time, in hot hatches by their mates within a couple of weeks of passing their test - the one and only test required to drive ANY car at 17 years of age. A teenage girl drove her Dad's BMW headlong into a wall in my village with 4 friends aboard, yet all I seem to hear is anti-biker prejudice and nothing about the terrible car drivers I see every day. Ever see a biker using a mobile phone while driving? I see car drivers doing it EVERY day.

Reply to this Topic
scotty61

Jul 08

scotty61 says:

Demo rides

November!!!!! you must be kidding, why cant you orginised this for a time of year thats practical for bikes???

And next time you want to orginise a demo over here lets make a point of getting noticed rather than a short ride on the motorway! Manchester, Birmingham, London and Galasgow city centers would be good.

I'm begining to feel that whoever comes up with these ideas is working with "the man" rather than against him.!!!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Protest.

I agree that the MAG Sept 25th protest could have been better promoted but we can only blame ourselves. MAG provided downloadable flyers which riders were supposed to print and hand out to non-bikers at the services, but how many did that?

Still, the relatively low key motorway protest was a good idea in that it said to the legislators, "This is how we feel, and look what we can do. Ignore us and we can escalate this." It was a warning, Personally I don't like the aggressive approach used by the NBPT in Westminster by first intent, it just gets non-riders backs up and is demonstrably counter-productive.

Where was MCN on Sept 25th?

Reply to this Topic
aboutye

Jan 11

aboutye says:

Interesting interview from FEMA with Malcolm Harbour UK MEP, Chair of Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) committee and shadow Rapporteur who is considering amendments to the European Commissions proposal.

http://www.fema-online.eu/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=259&cntnt01returnid=15

Reply to this Topic
Juliet1200

Jan 11

Juliet1200 says:

@ Scotty61 - "why cant you orginised this for a time of year thats practical for bikes???"   Errmmmm, would that be something to do with the timing of the IMCO vote on the proposals????

"Meddling Eurocrats" may not be able to miss this protest ride, but has MCN done any political lobbying so that they know what the ride is protesting against?

Instead of whinging about the motorway demos, anybody who is concerned about these proposals should contact their MEPs to ask that they vote against the proposals.  http://www.writetothem.com/

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

nov......

are you serious????? where  were you for the mag demo MCN??No one would notice this ,,,,,,,,,,I agree with scotty...praps brussels organised this!!!!!There is only one place to hurt them and thats london AND the other major cities!!!!!!not on a sunday either,or by letting the police organise it, and I think we lost an ally in Hammond.in govt recently....take a leaf out of the french!!!!    We made a difference in north wales.....wooton bassett(in honour).....united you stand.....  a stand has to be made somewhere against these non elected euros....we need to be out of it.....its destroying the UK and the govts are going along with it...

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

IMHO

As it's EU legislation, the place to make a point would seem to be in Brussels.

I will be considering joining this - anyone else?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

God help us all

So we've got MAG who demonstrably can't organise their own rides, the BMF who are essentially on life support and haven't actually done or said anything in public in at least 2 years, and now MCN have stopped sneering fomr the sidelines because they've cynically realised that bikers (in which I obviously don't include anyone working at MCN) might actually care about this issue.

So, MCN, have you asked P&O how many bikes they can safely accomodate on the single Hull -> Zeebrugge ferry on the 21st ?  Or thought about finding cheap overnight accomodation on the 21st near Brussels?

Of course you haven't. Just another bunch of bandwagon jumping gobshites. I'll be amazed if anyone from MCN even shows up.

Reply to this Topic
petexjr

Dec 08

petexjr says:

Way around it?

You could always take the bulb out of the "warning light"! Also, current legislation does not seem to stop people fitting illegal exhausts. (90% of Harleys?) As for tuning, do you really need 200bhp on the road?

p.s. Don't think I'm in favour of anti motorcycle legislation or the EU, there's a way around everything and I'm sure someone will come up with a download to get round this cr*p.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices