Skip to content

Discuss This Maximum muscle, minimum cost: GSX1400 v XJR1300 v CB1300 First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Maximum muscle, minimum cost: GSX1400 v XJR1300 v CB1300

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Maximum muscle, minimum cost: GSX1400 v XJR1300 v CB1300

How times change. In the late 1970s and early '80s, bikes with silhouettes the same as these machines would have been called superbikes. Capacity was king and the bigger the cubes the better. Liquid-cooling? Pah, real men like AMA Superbike champion rode air-cooled monsters such as the Suzuki GS1000, Yamaha XS1100 or Honda CB1100. Fast-forward 30 years and this style of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 October 2011 16:30)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
steady2wheels

Sep 08

you were missing the best retro, that out shines the others in all areas... the zrx1200r

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

When Yamaha produced the FJ1100 it was classed as a sportsbike, then came the GPZ900R So it was given an increase in capacity to 1200cc and reborn as the FJ1200 Sports Tourer Which was probably the best bike of its day. For a long period of time this bike came top in group tests and having owned one I can testify that it did indeed offer an awful lot of performance and comfort for the price due mainly to its grunty engine and stiff frame. The fact that this Engine is still avaliable today speaks volumes. So where is Yamaha's FJ1200 Today ????? Closest to it is the Busa In my book, wonder if the B.KING will be around for 13 years ?????

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Muscle bikes

I have owned every one of these bikes over the years (although my XJR was a 1200) everyone of them has been a joy to ride and in my opinion all handle extremely well, dont know where they get that the suspension on the GSX is dodgy, I currently own one (K6 model) and am forever renewing hero blobs, (as I also had to do with the other two as well) no chicken strips on this baby!!, I personally would find it hard to rate one against another, they are all fantastic bikes and can easily be ridden any way you like, whether that be toddling about town or blasting around the country roads.

Reply to this Topic
tractorboybig

Nov 10

real mens bikes.

the boys can stick to their 600 and 1000 cc babies

Reply to this Topic
russ8655

Jun 09

russ8655 says:

GSX is The Guv'nor

I own a mint (3,500 sunny Sunday miles) blue & white GSX 1400 K3 and never tire of the admiration it gets when I pull into crowded bike parks.

I have owned several plastic rockets in the past but nothing compares to this machine for any gear grunt and sheer presence.

I'm also puzzled by the comments about the suspension, 2 up this bike is extremely comfortable and more than capable of handling the twisty stuff.

The best description of the GSX is on the owners club website "Like a magic carpet with a rocket up it's arse" nuff said.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Never really been a Suzuki fan , although once had a 500 twin as a commuter ,which was really good but sold it as my six feet -odd  16 stone frame dwarfed it . But a mate bought a GSX 1400 new in  04 and then spent  £ 00s of pounds trying to make it handle ,and this from a guy with a Z.L. 1000 Kwak  ? . In the end he sold it  ,after everyone told him "if you want handling" ,buy a sports bike . The big Honda is a little bland but  very reliable , much prefer the series of 1200 /1300 Yam.  xjr  & fjr s . I have owned 100s of bikes but have regretted  selling my old  fj. 1200 that was my first & best  big Yam , for years . I bought it off a guy who was emigrating at a good price , owned it 4 years [ a lifetime for easily bored me ! ] and made £ 400 profit on the sale . I am afraid ,that for me the latest  big bikes don"t have the presence or feel as the old retro"s .

Reply to this Topic
bigklar

Feb 09

bigklar says:

xjr 1300

just bought an 08 fi xjr so far great  ive had lots of muscle bikes  gpz 1100  zrx 1100 also the cb 1300 a few

years back after a bad accident  z1000  lasted all of 3 weeks

but i like the looks and feel of the xjr  its  great two.s up lovely and comfotable for the other half

she picked the colour  black must say that its the nicest  apart from the kenny roberts block colours

yellow ./black 

better than my prevous bike 

bmw k1200r   drank  petrol  handled like a barge and crap finnish

welcome back my rice burning friend

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

russ8655

stop polishing and posing and get out and ride the thing, 500 miles a year?

Reply to this Topic
arnunn

Jul 06

arnunn says:

Love all these, and the ZRX. I really wanted a GSX, but with a very long commute I ended up with a Hayabusa, but maybe next time.....

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

arnunn......

Your choice of the Busa was a wise one as would have been a Blackbird or ZZR1400.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices