Skip to content

Discuss This New Aprilia SRV850 superscoot debuts New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Aprilia SRV850 superscoot debuts

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

New Aprilia SRV850 superscoot debuts

Aprilia has just released this picture of its new maxi-scoot – the SRV850. It’s basically an updated, face-lifted version of sister-company Gilera’s GP800. The Noale firm took a similar approach recently when it launched the  SR Max 300 scoot which was also essentially an updated, facelifted version of Gilera’s Nexus. The SRV has the same basic rolling chassis as the GP800, being...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (18 October 2011 11:55)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mickofield

Sep 09

mickofield says:

Motorcycle or Scooter?

As scooters get bigger wheels, bigger engines and better suspension, how do you define the difference between a scooter and a motorcycle? Does it matter as long as this new breed of two wheelers attracts riders that would not be caught dead on a motorcycle? This model looks like it is not a "step-through", perhaps that will make it a motorcycle! Or the new breed could be called Moots!

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Difference...?

There is no difference, all scooters are motorcycles.

This reincarnation of the GP is doomed to failure from the outset.

A dubious styling makeover and a rebadge won't make it sell any better.

Reply to this Topic
scruffy101

Oct 11

scruffy101 says:

With all the distractions on the roads nowadays? who needs a 850 cc scooter? I'm driving a microcar virgo, which comes under the same catorgory quad/b1 licence. The same as a 3 wheeler, this microcar virgo is only a 505 cc engine,4 seats/ twin cylinder & is cheapest econimical car on the road, what with the emissions & fuel? it costs around 18-20 pounds to fill up & around 220 miles.  & a top speed of around 72 mph? I've tried to advertise these vehicles to everyone? like top gear/fifth gear/twitter/ & anybody else? Another headache? Because no one listening? & because u can drive one of these on a motorcycle licence? this vehicle's road tax is the same as a 1200 cc vauxhall corsa? & yet a fiat 500 is only 35 a years tax? "WTF" Never liked cars.  & now i'm driving a microcar virgo/4 wheels, 505cc engine, the same as a cb500? but with four wheels & nobody's listening? Help me please, i'm a biker & i'm really happy i'm not having to drive on 3 wheels? & now i'm driving on 4 wheels with me mrs & me son, in comfort?

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

completely...

...the wrong machine. Aprilias history lies in 2-strokes. The 500cc DiTech twin 2-stroke would have been utterly perfect for the times - 175 kilos, 50+ horse, MORE torque than the 850, 96-107mpg and more performance AND more practicality (400+mile tank range). WTF has Aprilia to do with overweight, under powered, badly-selling, over-priced and under-specified crap like this? Where's the ABS? Traction control? 77+mpg? Two helmet storage space? 200 mile tank range? Cheap servicing and long intervals? It simply fails on every level - except punting out overpriced crap on the gullible masses. It didn't sell as a Gilera because it was rubbish, NOT because it was a Gilera...

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

This looks like a solution looking for a problem.  Surely the whole point(s) of scooters is convenience and ease of use, coupled with economy, low purchase/running costs and, hopefully, some style.  I would have thought 500cc was the absolute limit for a scooter to match the above criteria and I suspect most sales are 250 or less. Is'nt a "maxi" scooter a "motorbike"?

Reply to this Topic
BBQdog

Jul 10

BBQdog says:

Another elefant, what about a nice little nimble road bike Aprilia ??? 250 or 350cc ??
This whole industry seems only to be able to delevelop fatter and heavier bikes.

Reply to this Topic
maxiscooter

Sep 11

maxiscooter says:

Not for me

It's not really a scooter, it's a bike with an auto gearbox. How many scooters have a swing arm and chain drive? It's in the same catgory as the Honda VFR1200FD dual clutch bike and I know which one I'd prefer. The Aprilia is too big, too heavy, has poor storage, will cost the wrong side of £8K and won't be cheap to run. It's no good for touring and no good for commuting compared with the many other offerings in the bike and scooter market. The Gilera GP800 didn't sell and this won't either in this country.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Quite right BBQ,  how about a road version of their v-twin 450 motor in an RS250 chassis..mmm.....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices