Skip to content

Discuss This Bad drivers caught on film as helmet cam sales double General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bad drivers caught on film as helmet cam sales double

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bad drivers caught on film as helmet cam sales double

Bad drivers are increasingly likely to have their antics caught on camera and posted online as more and more motorcyclists routinely use helmets cameras. Sales of the devices have doubled in two years and risen 40% in the last 12months according to retailers. The small cameras can be stuck to side of helmets with suction cups and record up to two...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 October 2011 12:16)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tonymac36

Sep 10

tonymac36 says:

actually ... i disagree with the taxi one too!!

yes, he wandered a bit, and yes he's on the phone, but he didnt really encroach into the bikes lane that much.

in at least tow places on this film, the biker is too busy shaking his head at the taxi to notice the traffic has moved off ages ago, leaving the bike holding everyone up!! what kind of image are you trying to portray here??

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Cams Can Be Good

Well in each of these videos there is cause for concern but the problem with using roads are that there is just too little space for too many vehicles, so we have to be vigilant all the time.

The taxi should not have been on his phone but for his positioning I dare say he probably was attempting to get in behind the rider anticipating the riders forward motion as many people do in order to keep the flow of traffic.

The pedestrian and the rider: well from what I saw the rider was well within the speed limit and was paying very good attention to the potential for pedestrians to cross out from behind other vehicles else he would not have been able to stop, the pedestrian on the other hand paid no attetion at all to what she was doing until it was too late.

As for one comment here about the filtering of the bike and his position, had the rider been on the opposite side of the road as I have seen some riders do, this could be detrimental to people on the opposite side of the road as they would not be looking for bikes riding down the wrong way, so to be fare on the rider his positioning was spot on and his speed was adiquate for the road conditions.

Riders that take up too much of the wrong side of the road to filter are a hazard to everyone including themselves, each filtering situation should dictate your actions and position, there is no one size fits all.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Just a thought

I wonder if the police will be following up any of the videos?

I'm sure if it were a biker doing something daft on his bike the police would be knocking on his door, we have all heard of how bikers have been prosecuted for speeding after videoing themselves at high speed, so will we be hearing of prosecutions arife because of helmet or head or bonnet cams.

Surely much better to keep these vids for entertainment unless bikers everywhere are about to become model road users, unless an actual collision occures or something is so bad that it would be hard not to prosecute  might be good for insurence companies to see though which might make them more simpathetic when it comes to insurence claims.

Remember we all makes the occasional mistake when riding driving or walking we after all human, perhaps the EU could do with watching these vids.

Reply to this Topic
alvaro1976

Oct 10

alvaro1976 says:

keep these vids for entertainment unless bikers everywhere are about to become model road users

Totally agree with u mate, things here are bad but we´ve all seen worst...nobody is perfect, I personally only ask for the car driver that almost hit me/whatever to say sorry with his hand, to let me know that it was a mistake, rather than a f... off two wheeler c...t. Now, if I knock the guy in the mirror and he tells me to f... off, well he is losing his mirror view for sure!!!

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Careful

Careful, what goes around comes around. If this camera mania becomes infectious, what is to stop cars having them and spying on bikes bending the rules for filtering, overtaking, etc.? There are too many damn cameras about already without this idea being promoted.  Adapt, be flexible and survive, rather than continually being affronted by others' short comings...

Reply to this Topic
morpheus19

Nov 10

morpheus19 says:

?

I think we're being a little Naive here and crying wolf, what do we as motorcyclists expect from drivers for them to be model citizens? oh please, the fact is you have to be able to think for other road users and take evasive action before they even know what is going on. as bikers we expect the unexpected as our awareness on the road is more than the average road user. Yes care drivers need to made aware and education is the key in some areas but looking at the road videos it makes us look pathetic these are all part and parcel of the package of motorcycling don't expect favours from car users..

Reply to this Topic
DEF2001

Sep 11

DEF2001 says:

Re Careful

I Agree. All the videos here are things that happen just as often to me when I'm driving as well as when I'm riding. If only I had a camera in my car I could have videoed a Cretin on a Gixer pull a wheelie past me and 4 other cars plainly not seeing the car coming in the opposite direction.  As road users we all occasionally have our blonde moments but weekend warriors round my neck of the world (West Sussex) seem to take riding badly to a new level. For every driver that puts us in danger accidentally there is a rider who does exactly the same to themselves. We need to put our own house in order before someone does it for us.  P.s. I understand that every now and again it is good to blow off the cobwebs but get up early when the roads are empty not at 3 on Sunday when they are full of old people

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Very interesting bit of camera-work.And the rider"s reactions are good . But take it from someone who has ridden bikes since the early 60s ,& isn"t a weekend warrior or born again biker - it"s all part of being a motorcyclist !.When I did a lot more mileage when I was younger ,but with millions less four wheelers on the road ,I could have used the tape from 4 Titanic type blockbusters too highlight bad driving .A couple of examples - I overtook a turbo-charged car one afternoon on the M1 ,and 3 blokes chased me for a couple of miles swerving ,and trying to knock me off,reported it , police said they can"t do much,as the problem is proving it .In the center of a seaside town a "Halfords" special Ford was cutting people up and driving dangerous.I told my passenger to note the number,my mate wrote the car"s no. on his wrist,of course they spotted what we were doing .They chased us through town throwing MARBLES at us ?.I must say tho, now I ride mainly my Goldwing ,which I have owned some time ,peoples attitudes have changed ,not one complaint against other road users,is it the bike ? or the thought that a elderly gent may be riding it .Who knows .

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

The girl in the final clip didn't do much wrong.

The bike rider was filtering far too quickly in a VERY busy area full of people.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle