Skip to content

Ask an Expert Mod 1 Passed!! Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Mod 1 Passed!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

roland1rat

Sep 11

roland1rat says:

Mod 1 Passed!!

Hi all,

Passed my Mod 1 today with no minor faults. I was a bit worried about this rather than Mod 2 due to the close scrutiny of slow riding so I'm feeling very pleased with my self. Looking forward now to Mod 2 in a couple of weeks, then hopefully looking for my first 'proper' bike (125 doesnt count hehe).

Im totally new to biking so any advice on good reliable bikes for newly qualified riders would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 October 2011 19:50)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mk1rob

Aug 11

mk1rob says:

Congrats!

Well done mate!

Reply to this Topic
wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

Well Done!!

It's such a good feeling, well done!!:biggrin: Have you got any bike in mind?

Reply to this Topic
roland1rat

Sep 11

roland1rat says:

Bikes to consider

Im thinking of a BMW 650GS or maybe an 800GS, depending on what I can find when ive passed Mod2. Also like the look of a couple of Triumph bikes. Im not into sports bikes and would prefer an adventure style or a cruiser really

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

125's are properbikes.

Just baby sized.

"Looking forward now to Mod 2 in a couple of weeks, then hopefully looking for my first 'proper' bike (125 doesnt count hehe)."

They would do if I could design them, then I would make a proper CBR 125RR. One that could beat a Fireblade round a track. And still be as fuel efficient as a normal one!

Hmmm... Actually... thats a good idea...

Get the one you most want. You may find insurance is silly money if you want a supersports or superbike, or some of the old two strokes.

Congratulations, its the fun one next. Its you and the 125, riding happily where ever the examiner says to go, with some extra bits in as well.

Reply to this Topic
bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Tips?

Any tips to pass on?  I'm doing my DAS in three week and hoping to pass the mod1 and 2 over a four day period.  I've been on a YBR125 since feb and clocked about 9,000 miles so far.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Bensewell...

Its a good idea to practice the Module 1 in advance of doing the test, as it also gives a practice for Module 2 at the same time, and your instructor can pick up on anything before you do your test.

If possible, arrange it to be on the bike you are using for the test.

Make sure you know all the manovuers already and could do them anytime. Makes it easier.

Chances are your ready for it after 9000 miles, but you might require some time to adjust to a 500 from a 125.

Reply to this Topic
spdfreak2000

Aug 11

spdfreak2000 says:

Mod 1 Passed

Congratulations

Reply to this Topic
roland1rat

Sep 11

roland1rat says:

YBR125

Hi,

I bought a YBR125 after i did my CBT and have found it ideal to learn on. The tips I would pass on are what my instructor told me - spend plenty of time riding round 'difficult' areas such as large housing estates with plenty of hills. This improves clutch control/co-ordination no end and also keeps you aware of narrower roads with hazards such as parked cars etc. Then spend some time doing the boring stuff on am empty car park. I found that when it came down to the Mod 1 the emergency stop was easy as the 650 i did it on had ABS (unlike the YBR which is easy to lock up) also practise fig8's and u turns within a couple of parking spaces. When you come to the test you will find you can easily do it in the space you have available. I would think after 9k miles you will be pretty confident anyway.

Good luck mate

Reply to this Topic
roland1rat

Sep 11

roland1rat says:

125-650

Also, my instructor made me learn on a 125 until i was 100% on it. Only then did he put me on the big bike. Although a bit frustrating at the time, he was right and the transition was much easier than i expected. Just remember to use the clutch plenty when you first get on the big bike as i found if i didnt i was taking corners too wide

Reply to this Topic
roland1rat

Sep 11

roland1rat says:

Admire your enthusiasm

Haha. CBRJGWRR - I have a YBR 125 and although ive grown to love it, its definitely not a proper bike. Its uncomfortable after being on it for an hour, the mirrors are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and you are into top gear after 5 seconds of setting off from a junction. Also the top speed ive had is 62 (thats down a very long hill, with the wind behind me). Its only good points are that is fantastically reliable, brilliant on fuel and ideal to learn on.... I I will take some convincing that it is a proper bike and not just something to learn on. Dont get me wrong, im no speed freak its just that they are underpowered and not as easy to manoevure/control as a bigger bike with some gizmos on 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices