Skip to content

Ask an Expert Insurance Writeoff Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Insurance Writeoff

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Insurance Writeoff

I was knocked off my YBR about 6 weeks ago wasnt my fault and turns out the driver didnt have any insurance.  The insurance have declared the bike a total loss / writeoff.

The person on the phone said the valuer had estimated £1600 for the bike which in my opinion is a bit low for my bike that only had 5k and serviced four times.  What is the crack with haggling on these offers?  I've been on bike trader and mcn and got 10 prices starting at 1800 to 2200 so hopefully these might push the price up a bit.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 October 2011 00:34)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Ins payout

NEVER accept the first offer. You can haggle for more.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

market price

As eatcs01 says also find the replacement cost in the market,has this driver without car ins have house ins covering public liability damage?

Also is the drivers car or assetts worth £2,000? You can claim off the person like i did. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Write-off

Keep the ads and submit them to your insurers as evidence of the bikes true value.  However, bear in mind that these are retail prices and that the insurance company will be looking to offer the trade-in value only.  Also, that these are advertised prices and not necessarily the price that the biikes are actually selling for. 

Jaffa is right, the fact that they guy had no insurance does not prevent you from making a claim against him for the loss of your bike plus any other kit that was damaged iin the accident.  If you are fully comp, you may find that you insurers will be suing him anyway to recover their losses.    

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Thanks

Contacted legal rep (ACIC) and i will try and haggle up the price.  I'll wait and see what happens.  Their car was a 05 reg freelander so yes definately worth more the £2k i think.

The other option of looking at things is getting some kit replacement that puts the price back up to what it should be.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices