Skip to content

Discuss This Colin Edwards to ride Suter/BMW in 2012 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Colin Edwards to ride Suter/BMW in 2012

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Colin Edwards to ride Suter/BMW in 2012

Colin Edwards has confirmed he will ride a Suter/BMW machine in the new 1000cc MotoGP world championship in 2012. The Texan will make his debut on the bike, which features a highly-tuned BMW S1000RR engine in a Swiss built Suter frame, immediately after the final round of the season in Valencia next month. It is not the bike the 37-year-old planned to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 October 2011 12:11)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ubik70

Jul 04

ubik70 says:

Extra seconds

Colin Edwards should be a lot quicker if he tales the BMW panniers off when racing! Also those heated grips do require power from somewhere.

Reply to this Topic
JHB1984

Dec 09

JHB1984 says:

even better

now he will give 110% ... not good for the other CRT teams ;o)

go Nr.5

cheers

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Whats the motivation?

I have no issue with guys looking to extend their careers and race bikes for cash for as long as they possibly can, but I'm very surprised he went for this ride. For a guy that has run near the sharp end for years in MotoGP this is a massive step down, as he himself acknowledges. Some of the guys on the production motors will be looking to impress and get on a MotoGP bike, they will be really hungry, but for Colin whats the motivation?    

I think he should have taken a good ride in AMA, like Mackenzie etc finishing in the UK.   

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Go for it

we need decent riders willing to give CRT teams a try otherwise they will never be competitive. Yes the bike was 4 seconds off the pace last year when tested BUT that was with Kallio on it, Edwards is a far quicker rider. Also I know the extra fuel allowance is not loads but it should allow the CRT teams to run at full tilt compared to the factory teams. Remember in testing with no engine or fuel rules applying the factorys are running full bore which they can't always do in the race.

By using absolutley no engineering knowlege and my own spurious system of guesstamation I reckon that each of the three factors above (rider, engines, fuel) could count for as much as a second (maybe 2 for the rider). therefore the CRT teams won't be as desperatley slow as everybody reckons.

Anyway well done Colin for getting inolved we need the CRT teams to be a success and we need them to be competitive for the sake of the grid and the support. I hope Dorna do what they need to make the class competitive and don't bow done to the factories (especialy Hondas) strangle hold on the sport.

So fire away with your naysaying I'm staying optimistic on this one :)

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Well.

Good luck Colin riding for CRT next year hopefully the bike is competitive from the start.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

What's Colins motivation?

Fear of quitting. He's had the ultimate hit - MotoGP - for what eight years now? 230hp and 148kg has got to be a very hard drug to give up. Remember this was the man who said he'd be done with the sport by the time he was thirty (said as a cheeky 23 year old winding old Foggy up as was his wont).

I haven't raced for over three years due to circumstances and I absolutely hate it. Give me a bike, anything. A nifty fifty paddock race and I'd be gigging my tits off. No such thing as retirement. Just hiatuses.

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Not to mention

Building a crt bike up will be an interesting challenge. Winding down in the AMA would be very predictable. 

On another point - I wonder if we'll see any yamaha CRT bikes, given that the crossplane technology has been translated to the production engine, you could guess that the extra fuel might close the advantage of expensive electronics more closely than yamaha care to admit. 

One thing's for sure, you can guarantee yamaha have taken an M1 chassis an R1 engine and 24 litres for a few tests. Give me an FTR chassis a tony scott tuned R1 engine and Vali and i'll give you a win at mugello.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

R1 engines are ineligible in Moto2

Zog.

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Eh?

I'm guessing that's a hilarious, Vali could only win in moto2 joke?

Reply to this Topic
SV659Nut

Mar 09

SV659Nut says:

It will be good...

I hope Colin can quickly get up to speed on his CRT machine next year. I think he will supprise a lot of the nay sayers.

This last of 4 short articles on CRT's by Dennis Noyes is very interesting ...

http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/motogp-noyes-notebook-what-is-a-crt-pt-iv 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices