Skip to content

Ask an Expert Think my insurance company is screwing me over!! Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Think my insurance company is screwing me over!!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Chefdav

Nov 05

Chefdav says:

Think my insurance company is screwing me over!!

Good evening all. To cut a very long story short....

I wiped out ( on a greasy wet road, non speeding/ no fault) a 2009 '59 plate White VFR in mint condition. I'm fully comp and my insurance company decided to wrie the bike off. It was valued by myselft on my insurance policy for £9000. which is what i paid for it on the 2nd sept 2009 ..... now that it has been written off, they have valued my bike at £6450 even though when i asked for an inventory of parts, they claim that in damaged form my bike is worth £1450 and the parts to fix it back up plus labour and VAT will cost 5864.63 so that means my true value is £7314.63 ..... I have declined their offer and they have now responded and said that they will not offer any more and that if i do not respond by the 25th of this month then they will just dispose of my bike regaurdless of where my claim is at. What rights do i have, can I ask for someone else to value my bike as on MCN there are not many White VFR's kicking about and not for £6450 with luggage racks.. isnt full comp meant to replace a bike like for like... can anyone please advise???

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 October 2011 19:22)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

ins

Welcome Chefdav,sounds like davids a chef,you can insure special bikes with an insurance cover for a fixed price payout but your ins has to agree on it,it sounds like your cover is for market value as most are.When they ask you what`s the value of the bike means market value not what you say.If you declare all the mods/extras as you have got when the policy started they should take these into account on payout.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?&topic-id=421617 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Write off

The insurance company will look to settle for the trade in book value only - not the resale value.  This is because, as a write-off, they are effectively buying the bike from you.

Have a good look at your bike yourself.  You should be able to work out fairly quickly if you can repair the bike for a reasonable cost - in which case it's worth you having the bike back and fixing it up.  When an insurance company asesses repair costs they use the full list price for any parts and main dealer labour rates.  By repairing parts and/or using second hand parts and your own efforts you can often repair the bike for much less that the cost assessed by your insurers.         

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
flatspots

Aug 09

flatspots says:

A write off can be as little as 55% of the book value of the bike if memory serves. So unfortunately your damage plus repair figure doesn't apply.

You have the book value and what's for sale, Have another go at trying to negotiate a price with them. It's unusual that they give a first and final offer, Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It may have been

£9k new, but 2 years of depreciation will hit its value as well.

You can go through adverts, and see what kind of price similar bikes are being advertised at (though at this time of year, prices will begin falling anyway).

There is such a thing as "gap insurance", which is intended to make up the shortfall between what you paid for the bike, and it's "current" value, however its not something I've used so don't know the cost (ie if it's worth it).

Reply to this Topic
Pete1950

Nov 11

Pete1950 says:

Sue them

You have made a claim against your insurance company on your policy.  It is for you to say how much you are claiming, and if they offer to pay some lesser sum that is not the last word.  The insurance company does not have power simply to decide how much to pay you, without you having any recourse. You can sue them.  Then the outcome depends on whether you can persuade the judge to accept your figure, or if the insurance co can persuade the judge their figure is right.

CAUTION!  You need to be very certain your figure is right, and can be justified with evidence.  Just believing you are right is not good enough.  If you sue them and lose, that can be very expensive for you.  So you need to be objective:  why exactly is their figure too low?  what is your opinion based on? 

If you genuinely have a good case, sue them and good luck.

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Valuation

Sue them for what? Never heard of that before...surely it would cost a fortune just to start a case off?

All insurance payouts that I have come across have been the result of haggling between claimant and Insurance company until a mutually agreeable figure is reached.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices