Skip to content

Ask an Expert riding in a car park un insured Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > riding in a car park un insured

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply



Oct 11

Posts: 264

jimmywiz says:

riding in a car park un insured

kk so im getting a geared 125 in december and my firend has said i can use his bike to train on for gears.

i ride a granny ped normaly and i would like to know if it would be ok for me to ride it in homebase's car park, can the police do anything 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 October 2011 19:54)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required


Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)


Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 



Nov 09

Posts: 317


... as  a motoring offence, as you wouldn't be on the public road. However, if the landowner or tenant or their security guards don't like it, they can tell you to do one and if necessary get the police in to enforce it. Also, if you are involved in an accident with anybody else, then they can sue you for damages in civil court, and your friend's insurance are unlikely to be very helpful.

Reply to this Topic


Nov 08

Posts: 879

not legal

so called public private space.. ..yes it's private and you could be asked to leave, but if it's accessible to the public 24 hours a day then it's also public and any use of a motor vehicle is subject to law in terms of licence, insurance, fitness to drive, helmet etc.

Techincally if your own drive is un-gated then your subject to the law there too.

A lot of folk bend the rules and get away with it, that's probably how most of us learned...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic


Aug 09

Posts: 2714

MarcusMarsh says:

Learning to ride

You'll need to find some private land and get the owners permission then you are sorted. 

Reply to this Topic


Aug 02

Posts: 468

Private road

Albert Herring says:
Not as  a motoring offence, as you wouldn't be on the public road.

Wrong advice, I'm afraid. Any place open to the public requires insurance, licence etc. Matters not that it 'belongs' to someone else. In a similar vein, would you need insurance to drive on the M6 toll road?

Reply to this Topic


Feb 09

Posts: 4758

philehidiot says:


can have the bike away due to no insurance.

The above is correct in that you need to be insured to drive / ride anywhere where there is public access. If there area is closed off then you need the land owner's permission.

Nice friend though. Buy a pack of two of those Philip's extreme power bulbs and share one with him.

Reply to this Topic


Nov 09

Posts: 317

I stand corrected

"road or public place". Makes sense, as the requirement for insurance is to protect other people while they go about their lawful business, which is not restricted to the public highway.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic


Sep 06

Posts: 8579

fuzzrr says:


Ride down the road on it. Just wear a burka thats all. The cops wouldnt dare pull you! :blink:

Reply to this Topic


Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale


It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices