Skip to content

Ask an Expert Attaching a Sidecar to my motorbike Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Attaching a Sidecar to my motorbike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

squiffle

Oct 10

squiffle says:

Attaching a Sidecar to my motorbike

As part of a course for my education I am required to design a product, the product I have decided upon is a Universal Sidecar Attachment, I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me, or even explain to me, the laws that I will have to comply with. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 October 2011 10:42)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

From what I have found...

It seems that (from my VERY limited knowledge) you can only have a sidecar on the left of the bike if it is registered after 1981 and it must have the left indicator on it (the left one on the bike will obviously need covering!) CBT passers can have one but not with a passenger in.

Lil

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Don't know

if it'll be relevant to your product development bit, but if you're trying to sell the thing I understand that only physically disabled riders can take the test on a bike/sidecar combination.

Hope it helps.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

It is not

possible to simply bolt a sidecar to a motorcycle. Without proper set up, the combination becomes a deathtrap. I had a lucky escape having tried the above and leaving the road after throttling off on a left hand bend because I was running wide.

Please seek experienced advise and get the combination checked properly before riding it.

Obviously all the above is only my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

sidecar attatchment

its been many years since i last rode a combo,i do remember that during this era (up to the 60s) motorcycle frame design was very similar,just picture a standard pushbike with down tubes ,cross members and such,the side car fixes to the down tubes and at two points at the rear(cant remember where).modern bikes mostly dont have down tubes as the engine is used as a stressed member,there are so many designs today a universal fitting will be a headache,what may fit a jap will not fit a triumph and probably not some european bikes.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Sidecars

It would be difficult to make it universal, even restricting to a single manufacturer would be hard.

Regarding the legal side, these people import the Ural motorcycles, and would probably be able to help.

http://www.uralmotorbikes.info/

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices