Skip to content

General Petition to speed up restricted 50cc`s . General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Petition to speed up restricted 50cc`s .

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Petition to speed up restricted 50cc`s .

I have thought for some time that the 30 mph restriction for 50cc machines is outdated and furthermore downright dangerous . Someone has started a petition to get the speed lifted to 40 mph . I have a Classic 1982 Roadie that only does 30 mph and will never ever do more , but for future riders it might give a safer ride . Most traffic does a fair bit more than 30 mph in most restricted zones , even School Buses , which I found out today ! If you would like to take part , here is the link .

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/10483

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 October 2011 16:11)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
salopian

Mar 03

salopian says:

50cc

As a Parent I would Never let my lad/daughter have a 50cc Scoot. I was given one as a run-around once whilst the bike was in for a service. Apart from looking a proper tit in full leather, it was down right dangerous pulling out on roundabouts and junctions - 0 - 30 in just under a minute. I am sure a 50 putput is useful around a city, but even on a 40mph road you are very very vulnerable.

So after all that I suppose I agree with you, they do really need de-restricting. However 1 more year waiting and you can ride a 125 - far safer IMHO.
Can someone help me down off this soap box please :unsure: :roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic
mk1rob

Aug 11

mk1rob says:

restriction

To be honest in my opinion the majority of people that ride 50s are 16yr old lads with no road experience that ride them as fast as they'll go - everywhere. So i dont think its a good idea. Just my opinion:smile

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

But Rob........................

What about all the 16 year old girls who ride around as fast as they can!

My daughter has been riding hers for almost 2 months.  We started off fully restricted and although 30 Mph was fine as a top speed, it was dangerous watching her struggle to hold 15 mph up hill with artics pushing past her.  We have now managed to get it up to 40 - 45 on the flat, and 30 ish up hill.  It's still slow, but a lot safer and only another 10months to go before she can have something bigger.

When we try to sign this petition it isn't about 30 mph restrictions for mopeds at all!  Cheated!  We haven't signed.

Shad.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

When i try to sign this petition

it isn't about 30 mph restrictions for mopeds at all!

Agree with shad.

Reply to this Topic
SamLovatt

Sep 11

SamLovatt says:

misleading petition

The petition has NOTHING to do with power of 50cc scooters.
It's about limiting speed, power and acceleration of cars.

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Petition

Sorry everyone I left out 1 digit on the number , should have been 10483 not 1043 . 

Shad well done for upping the speed to make it safer . At least she can now keep up with the traffic , at least on the flat . My Suzuki which I have had since new is not tuneable , the 3 speeds are meshing gears , no variable pulleys or belt like modern Scooters . A downside would be if anything locked up you would be over the handlebars , no belt to slip ! Luckily in 30 years it hasn`t happened .

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

i did the

same with my daughters peugeot speed fight, changed the exhaust, altered the gear quadrant to makeb it change up to third gear, close to 50 mph on the flat and a whole lot safer than faffing about in the gutter, now she has a full bike licence and is the proud owner of a cracking little CBR400RR, and she can keep up with her old dad on the longer runs .

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

when i started on bike my dad who is a mad biker for years did not wont me to get a 50cc bike as they were deadly and he did not wont me to ride a moped or scooter as he thinks they are unsafe so he got me a 125cc tailbike that did 55mhp flat out now 5years later i ride a nice bmw. if you are flat out on a main road at 30mph and lorrys are doing 50mph its not safe and you will have a high chance of being killed.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices