Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ignition00

Oct 11

ignition00 says:

Advice on bike type

Hi all,
I'm new to the forums but have been reading for a while.  I’m looking for some advice on what type of motorbike to get.

I’m currently riding my CBF125 on L plates.  I use it to commute daily across central London and also for journeys around town.  I’ve got a top box and have taken some luggage for weekends away.  Sure it doesn’t go very fast but its not too bad for A roads and is great for commuting.

I’ve got my theory and mod1 test booked and am thinking ahead as to what bike I could get once I pass.  I’d like to continue commuting but would also like to take a passanger and be a bit more comfortable on longer distances and motorways.

I like the idea of a cruiser type bike, just for the style of it, but I’m not sure it would be so good for commuting.  Maybe a Honda Shadow or Triumph Speedmaster would do the trick?
A “sensible” naked like a CBF 600 would probably be good for commuting but might not be so good for longer distances with wifey on the back.
Maybe a BMW F 650 is what I need for good all-roundedness or a Honda Crossrunner?

I’d really appreciate to hear the thoughts of the more experienced bikers out there.

Thanks!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 October 2011 17:06)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Suzuki

Bergman or Honda silver wing.

Although the Bergman is supposed to be the better of the two.

Reply to this Topic
ignition00

Oct 11

ignition00 says:

Any more?

Thanks, anyone else?

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Whats your budget?

If you've got around £2000 to spend on everything bike, insurance etc, Then there is a huge amount out there.

Regarding commuting, you could use anything if you want to, people use 1000cc superbikes to go to work on. It all depends on what your commute is.

If its all city work then you might want to keep the CBF, as its a very good city bike. Alternatively get a scooter like the above.

For distance work you want low fuel consumption and a fairing to keep the wind off, which is where the BMW is a good idea.

If you like a crusier, then there are loads around, but tend to be more expensive to buy.

The Crossrunner is a good idea, if you've got the budget. The running gear is based on the VFR, and has been around for a decade now.

It might be a good idea to consider keeping the CBF for commuting, and buy another bike just for longer distances.

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

the

bandit is a good all rounder in either 600 or1250 guise, and both will pull a passenger easily over distance, and they are quite good inner city bikes especially with the fairing on, cruisers are a bit of a pain in the commute mode.

Reply to this Topic
ignition00

Oct 11

ignition00 says:

thanks

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm going to take a look at the bandit.

Cheers,

Reply to this Topic
justanotherbiker

Sep 11

All round practical,

The Honda Silverwing.

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Pillion...

will be the challenge.

Whatever you go for, if you want the wife on the back make sure you take her along and try it out 2-up.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

don't forget

to check the insurance bill before you buy. You might be suprised by deals on 'safe' big bikes like xj1200, zxr1100, and similar - very good choices for your needs if you can find a good one.
Mini-cruisers are nice, but pillion is often not great. Solved instantly with a Corbin seat, but that's more expense...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices