Skip to content

Discuss This Over 50,000 fans expected to attend Marco Simoncelli’s funeral MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Over 50,000 fans expected to attend Marco Simoncelli’s funeral

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Over 50,000 fans expected to attend Marco Simoncelli’s funeral

Marco Simoncelli’s funeral will take place in Italy tomorrow (Thursday) with more than 50,000 fans expected to attend. Italy has been a nation united in grief since the popular 24-year-old died from multiple injuries sustained in a second lap incident during Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang. Simoncelli lost control of his Honda RC212V machine at Turn 11 and was struck by...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 October 2011 17:48)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

'Gliders' first post started this rot. It would have been better for all concerned if it had just been ignored for this week at least!

Oh well.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Forget the rot - news just in

broadcast on RAI here in Italy, Simoncelli's father has asked for a minute of 'crazy' at the Valencia GP.

Dont commiserate or feel remorse, go crazy and celebrate the life and joy Marco brought.

Now thats the way to do it!!!

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Chris

Good shout 'Papa Simo'. (thumbsup)

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Is that your cranial capacity or the type of oil you use for those special bonding moments with your friends?

You can read alot about a person with the quality of language they use and the arguments they make. Over and above which your observational skills are sadly lacking as I only post on MCN and one other site.

As for the 'all they have' comment. Ha ha, fuck me. If MCN was all I had I would've slit my wrists long ago, and I abhor suicide!

Trolls as I understand live under bridges. I live in a German attic. Read into that what you will.

Thanks Chris. A minutes madness celebration of a short but full life is a brilliant tribute. Sombre and morose  is so dull and unfitting for remembrance of most people. Good on Papa Simoncelli.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Having just read all the comments in the thread

and I would like to share two things:

1 -
I live not far from Simo's home town, I will stop by one day when I am out for a ride and pass some time in the town, I doubt I will visit the cemetary but I will take a coffee in a bar and chat with locals and give a nod to the sky when I leave and say thanks to Simo for all the fun times.

2 -
Regarding the reported 20,000 people who were at the funeral, I am certain that the attendees were from the local towns (which are all very small and closely connected) who came to show thier respects to Marco and the family. You must realise that this area is truely a heart for motorcycles in Italy with many riders in the world championship being born within the region, also it must be recognised that the Italian community is very close knit and vouyerism or false-friendship would not have been the reason for attendance. FInally I should add that approx 90% of kids have scooters and ride like mini-simo's much to the peril of everyone else here, and as such they feel as though Marco was 'one of them'.

Finally, and think what you will, but I will add 'for arguements sake' my Dad's bigger than your Dad as school is obviously back in.

Reply to this Topic
AdieMonk

Jul 09

AdieMonk says:

Chris

Yeah rumour has it he has requested that all bikes from all classes being on the grid and have their engines revved for 1 minute as a tribute to Marco. I see no reason why this can't happen between the moto2 an motogp races, no title to sort out only the lower order placings. I would love to see it, it would be a fitting tribute

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Tribute..

...with the sound of engines being revved to close to explosion while the crowd chants 'Marco Marco' and riders wearing huuuge curly wigs attached to thier helmets.

If only it wasnt so bloody professional and sometimes more personal.

Reply to this Topic
acanada46

Aug 11

acanada46 says:

aquarius and nostrodamus

well written aquarius, maybe we have all over reacted to your previous posts in the heat of the moment.

sadly your compratiot nostro seems to have lost all sensibility ....

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Don't waste your time acanada46

trying to understand some people on this forum. Looking "for cheap laughs" on a thread about a fellow bike riders funeral should tell you all you need to know.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Thanks my wee Canuck Digger

flattering of you to say.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle