You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > BMW R1200RT Battery

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

roywilson

May 09

roywilson says:

BMW R1200RT Battery

My bike is a 2005 BMW R1200RT with 8000 miles clocked up.

Bike wouldn’t start, the battery was flat last week end after been left for 2 weeks in the garage. Is it telling me the original BMW battery is on its last legs. Now charged up it starts fine but lost faith in the battery.

The local BMW dealer only recommends using a BMW battery. Well they would. But am i correct in that Lucas supply these to BMW with a BMW label, so should be exactly the same thing.

My questions are:

Would you recommend replacing it with a Lucas gel type without a BMW label and have no concerns?

Also would you recommend using an Optimate trickle/conditioning charger on the new battery?

Many thanks, Roy

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 October 2011 20:34)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

It sounds like its not holding charge for long and on its way out after 6 years,if you have a multimeter you could check the bikes charging system.If your sure it`s the battery and not being drained when switched off then a battery is a battery:blink: 

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?productgroupid=2777&model=r1200rt&brand=bmw&departmentname=motorcycle+batteries&departmentid=155

Also if using the bike every two weeks or less you don`t need a charger with a good battery. 

http://www.yuasabatteries.co.uk/51913-yuasa-12v-19ah-bmw-180-p.asp

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

BMW

recommend their battery for a reason. The flat twin takes some turning over. I tried a cheaper battery once on my 1150 lasted 5 weeks and was F:mad:cked.
Bought a battery from this lot http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Home/index.php
who are a good source of spares for the BM amyway. I also fitted their upgraded starting kit, which made a huge diff. Will do the same to my 1200 when the battery needs changing.
One other thing, my 2009 R1200RT has a canbus electrical system, so it is also 'recommended' to use the BMW charger that plugs into the touring electrical sockets fitted to the bike. It talks to the ecu stopping it from shutting them down. Other forums state that an optimate, that I have on my other bikes, will damage the canbus/ecu???

Tom

Reply to this Topic
def1938

Aug 11

def1938 says:

battery

I would not replace with BMW brand. The BMW batteries are just not that good and they are $$s. I replaced my OE BMW battery on my R1150GS years ago with a AGM from Odyssey. I have had no battery issues since. As for a charger, get any name brand automatic charger, I use Black and Decker 2-4-6 units for all my batteries. They are about $40.00.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

BMW

You CAN use an optimate to keep your battery charged. However, you must connect it directly to your battery. This WILL NOT upset the canbus electrics.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a BMW branded battery unless it's cheaper than any others that you can find. I fitted a VARTA or BOSCH to my BMW R1200GS as it was the cheapest decent battery I could find.

Reply to this Topic
roywilson

May 09

roywilson says:

BMW

Thanks for all the information chaps.

What is an upgraded starting kit from motorworks? 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle