Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

cgraham05

Oct 11

cgraham05 says:

CBT

Hi all,

This will most likely sound subject but please read and reply. I am currently thinking about doing my cbt and am 17 years of age most likely 18 by the time i do it as i am currently doing my car lessons and am hoping to have passed before the Christamas. Any i have no previous experiance on a motorbike and would like to know any tips for a complete novice such as myself which would help me a lot when i am doing my cbt. Also i would like to add that i am planning on getting a lexmoto XTRS125 for my first bike, has anyone had any previous experiances on this bike that would help make my decision in buying this bike a good one.

Much thannks!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 October 2011 00:19)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SamLovatt

Sep 11

SamLovatt says:

First welcome to biking and this forum, you will love it :biggrin:
For starters try not to take things too quickly, its fun going round corners leaning over but can also be dangerous so don't run before you can walk.
With the bike i would advise against it for two reasons, EVERYONE drops their first bike and the fairing will be expensive to replace. Also chinese bikes have a reputation for being unreliable, so it's luck of the draw, whereas with the 4 japenese ones (suzuki, kawasaki, honda and yamaha) they are more reliable.
some good bikes for beginners are the honda cg125 or yamaha ybr125.

If you go to the general forum there should be a thread called "Top Tips For New Bikers" it has lots of useful advice in there

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

But 6 pages of it are tips for riding in france.

If that interests you.

You will drop your first bike, everybody says they won't but we all do.

XTRS 125 - I was looking at buying one a couple of months back, but got a secondhand Honda instead, the reason being that Honda build their bikes to a minimum standard, and they will not go below that. There is no garantee with the chinese bike, which is usually half the price of the Jap one it looks like.

MCN did a 3 week series comparing a Aprilia RS 125, a Honda CBR 125, and the XTRS 125 a few months back, and it wasn't positive. (Engine blew up at Cadwell Park, after 4 minutes.) Sadly, you will have tro get the paper version, they didn't put it online.

There are some good chinese ones, but they are mostly bad, as the build quality is suspect, I spoke to a ex-owner of a Magelli 125R who had the handlebar come off in his hand, for instance.

You will also lose loads come resale time, as few people trust them.

The secondhand Jap bike is a better option, and the best bet is one of the CG 125, CBF 125, or YBR 125.

Provided you keep the oil topped up, a CG 125 will out last your grand children, and if it does less than 100 mpg, the is probably something wrong with it, Usually its the oil needs changing, but most don't get that luxury.

Sports 125's look good, but don't go the part unless they are two stroke, which you don't want because they cost a fortune to run, and keep running. That said, nothings gone wrong with my RS 125 yet... (It will when my brother figures out what a RS 125 is though...)

For a CBR 125R 2004 model it costs 500 quid to replace all the front end plastic, in the event of a drop, all from Honda itself. (The previous owner lost it on diesel, then I did a week after getting the little thing back on the road.)

You will find that it is a huge drop on your insurance premium compared to a bike, unless you get aformentioned 2 stroke race replica RS 125, which cost 350 quid a year back in lincolnshire, and £1500 a year in Coventry.

The CBR 125 costs 770 a year in Coventry, for comparision. A little 125cc scooter costs £250 to insure back in lincolnshire, and the renewal went down to 180 quid.

These, are quite likely to be cheaper than a car insurance quote, unless your with someone that almost every other 17 year old wishes they were with.

There are huge amounts of tips and so on around this site, including a list of ways of how 128 people dropped their bikes, in the new rider section.

As to the experience, if you can ride a bicycle, you can do the CBT. In fact, I know people who can't ride bicycles but did their CBT, and didn't need extra training.

The CBT will take you from total newbie to someone who can ride a bike safely enough to convince a instructor that they can ride on the road.

They will, or at the very least should, take you through everything thats needed to be safe. If they aren't happy after a day, most will invite you back for another day free of charge.

You may find that stuff you learn't from the car you carry over to the bike, which can be good or bad, depending on what it is.

Ultimately, good luck with the car test, and if you fail, you've got something in common with a F1 world champion.

Reply to this Topic
macca59

Apr 10

macca59 says:

CBT passes.

Both my stepson and my wife both passed their CBT's on saturday and Wednesday respectfully. My stepson is 23 and my wife is 43. So never too old to pass.

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

CBT

Just noticed how old this post is, yet revived by the guy before me.

Enables me to say "I have my CBT this Sunday and can't wait".

However, I have never ridden a motorbike before in my life so am quite nervous about being able to keep the balance / clutch control. I do have 8 years experience driving cars on the road though.

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Like riding a bike.....

If you can ride  a bicycle then you can ride a motorcycle. If you drive a manual car then you can use a clutch and change gear. Compulsory Basic TRAINING......they will teach you how to do it all. Just relax and enjoy the day.

ps welcome and kiss goodbye to boring journeys....in a car you drive to arrive, on a bike you enjoy the journey and usually take the long way :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

long way?

I wish I could - I take the most direct route as I'm late leaving for everything.

Reply to this Topic
macca59

Apr 10

macca59 says:

CBT Sunday

Good luck Sunday,

ajmcguk

just enjoy it.

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

Thanks

Many thanks,

Looking forward to it!...

Reply to this Topic
macca59

Apr 10

macca59 says:

After CBT

After passing their CBT's, my stepson is now commuting to work on a Keeway scooter, a 125. Just last week was wiped out at traffic light's by a women driving a MX5. Typical did not see you. And i have just got my wife her own bike, a Honda CityFly 125. Had her first run out on it yesterday. till need's to get used to it. I had a ride on it and got off after it with a big grin on my face, who say's you cant have fun on something that will do 60 mph.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices