Skip to content

Discuss This MotoGP mourns Marco Simoncelli at Italian star’s funeral General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MotoGP mourns Marco Simoncelli at Italian star’s funeral

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

MotoGP mourns Marco Simoncelli at Italian star’s funeral

MotoGP stars past and present have attended the funeral of Italian star Marco Simoncelli, who died from injuries sustained in last weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang. Valentino Rossi, Loris Capirossi, Jorge Lorenzo, Andrea Dovizioso, Hiroshi Aoyama, Mattia Pasini and Raffaele de Rosa all attended the service at the church of Santa Maria Assunta in Coriano today. Italian legend Giacomo Agostini was...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 October 2011 16:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kellsm77

Oct 11

Kellsm77 says:

Really????

Are you people serious! You're going to sit here and pass judgement on people wearing jeans and hoodies to the funeral? Simoncelli’s own father, Paolo, wore jeans and a hoodie...do you think he had no respect for his beloved son? Fools. Wearing a hoodie with his sons name on it, representing HIM is far more respectful than wearing any old random suit. Have you not heard the saying "the clothes do not maketh the man"? His Father = loved him Rossi = loved him His team and friends who carried the coffin = loved him All of these people wore hoodies. This was obviously something they ('they' being those closest to him) had all decided to do as mark of respect. You all are the ones being disrespectful to the people who actually KNEW Simo. Shame on you.

Reply to this Topic
saintmo

Jun 05

saintmo says:

Ciao Marco

Unbelievable how so many people know what Simoncelli would have wanted, understand Italian cultural differences, the dynamic of Rossi and Simoncelli's friendship. My hat's (or should that be baseball cap?) off to you. My heart goes out to Marco's family, friends and the Gresini team. I have experience of this sort of tragedy, but I wish I was as clueless as some. At least then I wouldn't have had to deal with much of what Marco's family have been through. Post by all means, but think before you do please. Ciao Marco #58.

Reply to this Topic
geoffb61

Sep 08

geoffb61 says:

who cares...

...what they dressed in. MotoGP, motorcycling and the world at large will be far poorer for the loss of this young man.

Celebrate what he had the chance to give us and mourn the loss of what was to come.

RIP number 58

Reply to this Topic
BlackPrince

Feb 09

BlackPrince says:

apologies...

I did not realize that Simoncelli's father too wore jeans and a hoodie. I should have thought about that before I opened my stupid mouth. Apologies...:) And you're right that clothes don't make the man but I just thought its important to show respect considering the tragic way this young man died, but cultures do differ of course

Reply to this Topic
peter rabbit

Nov 02

peter rabbit says:

A kind of magic

We have lost a kind of magic:

A magic smile, magic hair, magic personality

A magic competitor that was on the verge of realising his potential in premier class motorcycle racing

A magic that has brought about unprecedented emotion (as witnessed on the many fora worldwide - and on here especially) in fans not only his own, not only of MotoGP but much much wider. You might care to contemplate the reaction to recent "superstar" demises.

I for one consider myself honoured to have been able to share that magic - albeit from my television.

Ciao Marco, Grazie #58

Reply to this Topic
bubs348

Oct 08

bubs348 says:

Unbelievable

Fair play to all, who ever they were and whatever they were wearing who attended the funeral and paid their last respects to Marco, fuck me, its incredible that anyone would care or comment on their dress sense, again unbelievable !!!!! RIP Marco, loved watching you race.   

Reply to this Topic
riggs700

Oct 11

riggs700 says:

Marco FANTASTIC Marco

Marco So fast , entertaining and the biggest saddest loss for a long while. Marco was so entertaining he was the one rider that made MotoGP really good to watch. The one thing that I have not worked out yet is how his crash helmet came off, that may be the reason he did not survive. Nobody is to blame for this accident, but its gonna be a long time before it all settles down again. All the best to Marco's family and relatives and MotoGP riders. All the best steve

Reply to this Topic
flatsixforever

Sep 11

RIP Marco

Some misguided stuff on here as usual.  Lorenzo - good on him for attending the funeral, along with Dovi.  These two riders publically did not like Marco but paid their respects.  The hoodies.... the closest to Marco had clearly (to me) decided to wear what he would have wanted.  Lorenzo wore what he wanted to wear because he was not a close friend or family member.  Lots of the people posting on here would have bought the Oct issue of Bike........no further comment needed.

Looking forward to Valencia.  Will be emotional. 

Reply to this Topic
Westymr2

Sep 10

Westymr2 says:

Dress...

I read the first comments thinking how the fuck could anyone comment on peoples dress for the situation. I do on the other hand think that wearing a hoddie and jeans is a fucking piss take! IMO...... If any of family or friends turned up to my funeral wearing that i would be pissed!!!!( I'm 25 ) BUT...If i wanted ppl to be comfortable in what they were wearing then so be it! Each to their own! Respect the dead....... What marco wanted, he clearly got! no one would of worn it otherwise!!!!!!!!! RIP #58

Reply to this Topic
motogpnorival

Feb 10

How did take.....

.......... 3 days for the great and mighty MCN to cover this event....... read it first on the BBC and some American sites.......

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices