Skip to content

Discuss This White Van man General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > White Van man

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Pat H  says:

White Van man

Riding in the rain and white van man decides to change lanes.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 October 2011 10:14)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Shame, happens thousands of times all over our country.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Ever driven a van like that?

The mirrors are total shit.  If I have a passenger, I often ask them to check for me.  If not, I am super careful when changing lanes.  Bloody hate driving those things.

Top tip: if you cannot see the driver in the mirrors, the driver cannot see you.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

In fairness, the van was indicating, and the bike was probably hidden from view, by the truck he was following.

Part of motorcycling - making allowance for others.

Reply to this Topic
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

common occurence

whether its right or wrong, I see it all the time in London. I ride as though i'm invisible, not invincible..

Reply to this Topic
keerthi

Dec 11

keerthi says:

Bloody hate driving those things.Great www.prozacdosage.net reading the topic.

Reply to this Topic
jovee

Feb 09

jovee says:

WHITE VAN BIKER MAN

I drive white van and bikes. Mirrors are crap on most vans and some don't even have a blind spot mirror under the main one. I wait a few extra seconds to be sure nothing's there if i change lanes, but most drivers are on auto pilot and rushing to the next job or place, last thing on their mind is a bike, especially if they don't ride themselves. It's a statistical and sad fact that probably wont ever change that we as bikers are hard to see no matter how hi-vis we are and accidents will and do happen so as a driving examiner said to me after passing my bike test many years ago, be careful son because half of em can't drive! and the other half are somewhere else when they drive!!

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

white van man

Forget all about hi vis and ride as if you are invisible.

Forget looking in the drivers eyes through his offside mirror.... he doesnt give a tinkers cus about who you are or where you are.

Stay away from him as much as is possible in  heavy traffic. Assume he hasnt seen you and anticipate him doing something stupid like moving out without looking OR caring about you.

A problem , if he has looked in his mirror and seen you is that in his offside miror you appear further away than you actually are and even further away if he sees you through his nearside mirror.  This is a problem that many motorists have not realised. the only true indication of your distance behind is through his internal mirror which actually reflects your correct  distance from him. Unfortunately van man doesnt have an internal mirror and has to rely on inacurate information from those external ones  he has.

All cars are the same and perhaps this is why you are cut up after being overtaken as the driver will  generally view you through his nearside mirror and not through his internal one and you will actually appear twice as far away from him as you actuall are.  He will also pull out because his and your [ cage driver only]offside mirror places you on the outside lane some one and half the distance  away than you actually are.

You can test this fact by being stopped and looking at all three mirrors and compare  the size of a parked car some distance behind. It will suprise you just how much descrepency there is.

Something that to my mind  causes accidents, tailgating, infuriates drivers, causes road rage and is or maybe responsible for many accidents.

Its consequences should be investigated .  It need publising and should be brought to the attention of the powers that be and other road safety organisations.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices