You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > LANES FILTERING Rules

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jimmywiz

Oct 11

jimmywiz says:

LANES FILTERING Rules

Right, i can not find a place where i can see all the rules for lane filtering. 

Diagrams would be so helpfull

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 October 2011 23:25)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Highway Code

Rule number 88 - remember that if someone pulls you, or accuses you of doing something illegal (not all car drivers or traffic police understand it and believe it illegal).

Briefly: look well ahead, look for gaps you can slot into if traffic starts moving, keep your speed down (steady throttle and 2nd gear I find is enough), keep enough space for a car door to open, look for car front wheels steering (possibly trying to u-turn), look for junctions / turning lanes (emerging traffic may *genuinely* not see you if you're awkwardly positioned in the middle of the road "behind" other traffic) - that's just a few thoughts.

Finally: don't "ruthlessly" filter if it looks like a risky situation; judge each traffic situation on its merits (time saved versus risk) and decide from there whether to or not - eg, if you are about to turn off shortly, is it worth it?

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

If the gap looks too small...

...It probably is.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

The above

I have found that rule works in the bedroom as well.

:upset:

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

???

...Nevermind. 

Anyway, make sure you always have somewhere to go in the event something goes wrong,

try to slot in the traffic,

Just cause the lights have gone green, doesn't mean that all the car drivers react in one smooth motion like they should. They only look as far as the person in front, and it is about a second before they notice the other person in front move off. Whereas, we have been watching the lights, and are prepared to set off in line with the person at the front, in one smooth manner, wishing all the traffic would accelerate uniformly recognising when the lights will change.

And always prepare for the tosser who brake tests you, The people who change lane on you, the list is endless.

The traffic will (Hopefully) form a nice linear (ish) queue at the lights.

They won't be expecting someone to plunge themselves straight into a gap by their side.

Once lights change, you have 2 choices. Outrun the person next to you (can be a challenge on 125's and 50's) or move in behind them.

DON'T filter at twice the speed of light.

Don't filter anymore than 20 miles an hour above the traffics pace.

Don't try and keep up with Couriers, Pizza Delivery scooters, Blood Runners, etc. It will end in tears, and embarassment. (Superbike being outrun by a 50)

and, Number 1,

IF IN DOUBT, DON'T.

Reply to this Topic
Coldandwet

Nov 11

Coldandwet says:

Never any shame in holding back

The post above is bang on, today, I got overtaken by an AR50 moped, I was on the Blackbird.

I felt I should be ashamed until he ended up wearing the car I'd held back from.

(I did stop, and he was alright, looked a bit upset about it all tho).

Guess what the car driver said... "Sorry mate didn't see you". I nearly smacked him at that point.

If it feels wrong, it probably is, there is no shame in waiting!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bensewell

Feb 11

bensewell says:

Snap

I was on day two of riding my first big bike ZZR600 and thought nar i'm not going for that only to be overtook by two motorbikes who then slammed the brakes on when they saw a broken down car.  I though no i'm not tramming through as all the car drivers were all of a sudden rubber necking at something, the scooter didnt see it until the last minute and luckily didnt come off.  I changed lanes and lived to see another day.

Safety first, you can make speed up when you have a free lane.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

At the end of the day...

Coldandwet - know the feeling, I thought it might be a good idea to try to keep up with a courier round the city centre.

I blame the resultant losing on my little CBR 125 - Its lovely, the power delivery is nice and linear. Mainly cause there isn't any.

:lol:

Work on the basis those stupid traffic lights will change at the last possible moment when you can stop, is another one.

Reply to this Topic
jimmywiz

Oct 11

jimmywiz says:

Legal Rights

If an ass turns out in a q of traffic and said "oh i dident see u" or anything where a car crashes in to you when lane splitting is the crash yours or the cars falt 

Reply to this Topic
JohnBiker4

Oct 08

JohnBiker4 says:

Filtering

There are many, many reported court decisions relating to collisions between a car and a bike when filtering. There has also been some very useful posts on this site that summarise the law. If you google this topic, it will keep you entertained for hours. Many lawyers, including my website, have articles relating to filtering.

I am afraid there is no short answer to this. Every case will be decided on its own merits and lawyers should carefully go through the circumstances of the accident and apply relevant case law that goes back to Powell v Moody in 1966. Even since my article was written nearly 4 years ago, there has been more reported cases.

The court will look at the road layout and any appropriate road markings or road signs. It will also look at the traffic conditions; the speed of the motorcycle and the manouvre of the other vehicle. For example, if the other vehicle came out of a side road through a gap in traffic, did it "nose poke" or come out at speed. Witnesses can be invaluable as can a photo of the position of the vehicles.

There has been one post here that says another motorcycle overtook him and came into conflict with a car. That pretty much says it all. When filtering, I do so extremely cautiously with absolute concentration and observation. If I am only travelling at 5 mph faster than the tin boxes, I am still making progress where they are not.

The only other advice I would give, is to choose your solicitor with care. There are some pretty good ones out there who are also bikers and are qualified in dealing with biker claims with a wealth of experience...and then there are the others!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices