Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati to test new aluminium frame in Valencia MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati to test new aluminium frame in Valencia

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati to test new aluminium frame in Valencia

Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden are expected to give a public debut to Ducati’s new conventional twin spar aluminium frame during the traditional post race test in Valencia next week. The factory Ducati pairing have both tested the new frame in separate sessions at the Jerez circuit recently as Bologna factory engineers desperately seek to improve front-end feeling with the Desmosedici...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 November 2011 16:08)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Licky

The not trying hard enough comment was Rossi's on Stoner. I know Rossi is giving his utmost. He wouldn't have picked so much gravel out of his teeth this year if otherwise. His 100% is just not good enough anymore.

I know none of you little yellow oompa loompas like hearing the reality of the situation. This is why I relish relaying it so much when you lead with your chins by making foolish statements.

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

That didn't take long ..

week and a half and back to old ways.

Good job all.

Reply to this Topic
lickers

Oct 11

lickers says:

Nostro

Apologies, thought you were referring to Rossi not trying hard enough as so many other people have posted. If it was the Rossi on Stoner comment, then this again would be covered by my previous post. Rossi was wrong. Again, big deal, get over it.

Still trying to fuel it aren't you. "His 100% is just not good enough anymore" . 

The reality of the situation is very clear and I have stated that in my previous post. 

There are clearly those that live in denial about Rossi and the Duke, the current combination is not going to work. With one race to go this season then they should now finally grasp that.

FYI - I am not yellow oompa loompa. 

Reply to this Topic
davevr46

Feb 11

davevr46 says:

this is turning into a bitchfest.

its not about stoner or rossi this thread. its about a piece of freaking metal that forms the motorcycle.

the ducati is shit, the honda is good, the yamaha is somewhere inbetween.

stoner did well on the ducati, but that doesnt make it a good bike.

stoner's style is the get the rear out and unload the front end, he still has a habit of doing this on the honda, anyone noticed that the front  wheel is a little twitchy sometimes??

rossi's style is to  load the front and keep the rear clean, no sliding,

he then use his upper body (shoulder) to lean into the corner, now if you dont trust the bike's fornt end, this is very hard to do...

Reply to this Topic
vmax4steve

Mar 08

vmax4steve says:

TYRES

It will be down to Bridgestone again to see which of the new bikes suit their tyes the best. That is the premise now for all the factories, to build a bike to suit the Bridgestone tyres. The days of competing tyre companies tailoring tyres to suit individual machines is over (for the present) and for me the Ducati with it's 90 degree L4 layout doesn't suit the Bridgestone tyres because the engine cannot be moved close enough to the front of the bike to give the front end feel that a lot of riders require. The front of the Ducati feels light because it is, so it must be ridden in a certain way like Stoner on the 800 Duc, like Capirossi & Bayliss on the 990 Duc.

It remains to be seen if an aluminium beam frame will give the front end feel that certain riders need, and some would argue the case that the reason the japanese bikes are better is because of this, but the japanese bikes have different engine layouts that enable more variance in engine position within the beam frame, Honda have a narrow angle V4, Yamaha an inline 4, Suzuki a narrow angle V4, and the coming CRT machines will probably be using inline 4 engines from Yamaha,BMW, Honda and the narrow angle V4 Aprilia so even they may have the handing edge on the factory Ducati. It will be a very interesting 2012 methinks,

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

vmax4steve

You forget that Bridgestones were originally built exclusively for Ducati and the front in particular suited the bike enough to not need a qualifier when they were allowed. I'd say Ducati have found a way to make the bike not work on the tyres more than the tyres not being good enough. Look at the Hondas, Pedrosa in particular took time to get used to them but you'd never notice now.

Reply to this Topic
TwoSkoops

Aug 10

TwoSkoops says:

Sunday 7th November 2010 - Rossi finishes 3rd at Valencia season Finale.  Monday 8th November 2010, Rossi tests Ducati for 1st time and finishes 15th on time sheets.  I really don't think the guy forgot how to ride overnight.

I actually don't like Rossi, I prefer the quieter types (NH, BS, DP), but I just think the people that think he's forgotten  how to ride, or has lost motivation or anything else are being unrealistic or prejudice because they didn't like him in the first place. 

Maybe his development isn't up to what people thought, and maybe he's not adaptable as people thought too, but put him on a bike that suits his style and he'll be challenging at the front.  9 WC's is no fluke.

Maybe this change to the Duc will give him what he needs, maybe it won't.  We'll have to wait and see............

Reply to this Topic
Milkybars

Feb 11

Milkybars says:

Correct Jamie999

But Elvis Presley decided to throw out all that tire data and go for something new each year after their 2007 bike won the WC.

So all the data for the BS tires was no longer as useful. Although, Milky boy swore that the bike would win him another WC. Unfortunately he quit that early in his 4th year for another neighbor's bike. No suprise there though, quitting was something his Sponsor's and Employer saw many times. When confronted about it, he pouted and left with his team.

We all ought to give Valentino Rossi and his team he brought with him an oppurtunity to do what the does best, instead of forcing them to all convert to something they have no clue on how to fix. Milky boy had 4 years and each year he moved farther and farther from the wins he had in 2007.

It's time for Ducati to try something different and the time is now. Four years and counting is enough to realize it's a waste of time. It's time to utilize their teams strength to develop/build something the know about instead of forcing to them to do something no one at Ducati have no clue about. Going for 6 wins or 4 wins or 3 wins is not World Championship material period.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Yamaha3358

Mar 11

Yamaha3358 says:

''Going for 6 wins or 4 wins or 3 wins is not World Championship material period.''

Simoncelli won his 250 title with 6 wins.
Hayden won his MotoGP title with 2 wins.

Your talking out of your arse as usual Milky. Your hate for Stoner is way past obsessive.

''each year he moved farther and farther from the wins he had in 2007.''

Yes, but as you pointed out, he still won. Unlike Rossi.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Hmmm

Time for Ducati to try something different? They've just done that, they know even less about beam frames, Valentino Rossi and Jeremy Burgess may know all about beam frames and they may well have reams of data from the past but I bet they can't weld or fabricate metal. If Ducati go back and decide to build something they know about then that will be the trellis frame which apparently also doesn't work.

I don't know where Checa's bike is or even Bayliss or Fogarty's but if Ducati need a reference point for a well sorted bike I'd start there. As I've said before, a well set up Ducati is difficult to crash but somewhere between WSB and MotoGP they've gotten a bit lost. In 2003 the Desmosedici was ahead of it's time and it's stayed that way pretty much since. They need a rider who is also ahead of their time to maximise it, someone perhaps younger and more fearless.

Valentino Rossi will no doubt shape the Ducati to fit him but how much of it's DNA will be lost or genetically modified in the process? If the beam frame works and Ducati decide to use it and it's successful what will that say for every other bike they build? How will they tie-in the success of going against the heritage with the heritage? They won't, they'll be become the motorcycle dept of Valentino Rossi Inc. That's if the Italian ecomony doesn't collapse in the meantime...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices