Skip to content

Ask an Expert Fork seals?? Suspension

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > Fork seals??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

stig24

Jun 07

stig24 says:

Fork seals??

Hi all, think my fork seals are on the way out, does anyone have a rough estimate of how much they will cost to have replaced. Has anyone had them done recently?? etc.. what did it cost you, bit of a big job for myself so its got to go to a garage. I live in the manchester area. Cheers.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 November 2011 21:13)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

seals

What makes you think they are "on the way out"???

Reply to this Topic
stig24

Jun 07

stig24 says:

slight residue

its got a slight oil residue on the forks when I press down hard on the front forks. Not alot, but I can see that they are possibly on the start to fail, the bikes done 47, 000 so its to be expected. I've ordered one of those "seal mate" devices. They are meant to be able to clean the seal's of dirt and fix the problem without having to replace them, so going to give it a go. Only a fiver so it's worth it before I take it to the garage.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

seal mate

How did you get on with that gadget? I reckon you are looking at 2 hours labour plus parts to do the job at a dealer.

Reply to this Topic
RoadTrekker

Sep 11

RoadTrekker says:

Fork Seals

I have just been hrough the ordeal of getting my FJR1300 forkseals replaced.

I tried making one of those plastic seal cleaners from an old 35MM film strip which worked ok if you have just dirt but if the seal is worn then yuou are wasting your time.
Both time my seals blew out literaly while I was ridding hard on mountain roads. I heard a load bang then found fork oil spurted up onto my jacket. Followed by oil leaking out down the fork legs onto the brake calipers, not very clever.
The first time one seal was replaced not problem cost about 50 quid. The second time the machanic made a balls up by not using the right tools which then streatched the seal so it ended up leaking just the same. Back to the garage again and done for free under gtee. So all sorted now. At least I can forget about them for some while now.
It is also a good idea to have you steering bearings checked and adjusted at the same time.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices