You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Learner Nerves

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

andymorley

Nov 11

andymorley says:

Learner Nerves

I've been keen on bikes for around 10 years and only recently taken the steps to doing something about it. 

Yesterday I took my CBT and I've come away feeling a little bit wary/nervous about travelling at speed. Is this normal in learner riders?

To give a little more info, towards the end of my CBT we took a short stretch on a national speed limit dual carriageway and I felt very nervous at 70mph, the wind buffeting and tug on the bars (I was on a 500 not 125). Does everyone feel like this?? Did my instructor push me too far too soon? 

All thoughts greatly appreciated.

Andy

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 November 2011 20:37)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

500?

On a CBT, never ridden a bike before? Then yes, absolutely. Are you even allowed on a 500 without even a CBT??? :blink:

Reply to this Topic
andymorley

Nov 11

andymorley says:

500?

I queried the instructor of that, he said yes as long as the instructor was qualified. I did ride the 500 on the car park before hand for familiarity (as much as you can for 45 mins).  He did give me the option to ride on the 125 in hindsight maybe I should have taken the 500. In town I felt ok and not daunted by the bigger bike.

I would like to think my road sense is decent, I rode a scooter for 2 years from 16 and I now drive 30k miles a year as a rep. I just felt like the front end was vague, is that just time spent on the bike??

Andy

Reply to this Topic
SpartanMart

Apr 10

SpartanMart says:

Your instuctor is incorrect, you cannot ride a supervised 500 until you have passed your CBT even on a car park.

The faster you go on the bike the more stable it will become, the gyroscopic effect of the wheels hold it upright and straight so you have to force it to turn.

Out of interest what model were you doing 70 on?

Reply to this Topic
andymorley

Nov 11

andymorley says:

Well I don't quite know what to think about the whole situation if thats the case. Think I will be taking my money elsewhere when it come to my DAS course.

I was on a Kawasaki ER500. 

Reply to this Topic
SpartanMart

Apr 10

SpartanMart says:

And'ers

The ER5 is an excellent bike but most are ageing now, look for a school that uses more modern bikes like the Kwacky ER6 or the Yam XJ6.

The ER6 is the best in my opinion, the parallel twin engine is ace plus less sensitive to noobs and their throttle imperfections.

Reply to this Topic
andymorley

Nov 11

andymorley says:

SpartanMart

Thanks very much, will certainly bear that in mind. 

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

i have

heard of people doing there cbts on larger bikes not sure if its legal or very responible and the wind buffeting is somthing you get used to and tends to be worse on smaller bikes ive been blown across roads on my 125 before in reasonably high winds but the more you ride the more naturaly you will anticapate the wind and the more stable youle be atleast thats how ive found it to be

Reply to this Topic
bikergrrl

Nov 11

bikergrrl says:

yes it is...

...legal to do your CBT on a 500 as long as you are with a DAS instructor. And if there is another learner with you they have to be on a 500+ as well. And both have to have 'L' plates.

Taking you onto a national speed limit road if you have never ridden before is massively harsh though, if not a bit irresponsible :blink:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Yes

you can do CBT on a 500 if you are doing DAS (with a DAS instructor) - you still can't go out solo on owt bigger than a 125 though.

As for wind buffeting, it takes time to become used to being out in the elements, especially if you've been used to being in a warm and cosy tin can.

Not only that, but it takes time to gel with any bike at the best of times.

Your instructor will want to see how you cope on a high-speed road when he isn't about to look after you - instructors don't want you to get hurt in an accident any more than you do.

Stick with it - you will get used to it, bear in mind also some people naturally learn quicker than others.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Pay for more lessons

You can NEVER have too many lessons ! more experience equals better , safer and faster rider !

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices