Ask an Expert Textile advice Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Textile advice

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

happylemon666

Mar 10

Textile advice

Hi.  These past few years I've discovered the joys of touring.  However, having always been a leathers wearer, I'm thinking at the end of each tour I should invest in a set of textiles for touring it for what I presume is increased confort and practicality.

Since it's the nec show coming up, thought I'd maybe splash out on some if I see some.  Does anyone have any advice on what to look for, recommended brands (in case there's a true bargain) etc.  I'm guess it's like most things - you get what you pay for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 November 2011 13:03)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

It depends

how often and how much you make progress.

I find textiles a bit bulky and a bit more wind resistant than leathers.

As for buying textiles, I've got a Uvex coat which cost me £30 at the show 3/4 years ago, but is waterproof and is as warm as anything else you'll find.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Textiles

I find textile stuff warmer than leathers and it is cetainly more flexible in terms of the conditions in which it can be used.  It also saves you having to carry seperate waterproofs. 

I like Hein Gerike stuff - good quality and reasonably priced for what you get.  However, if you are looking for a bargain then you'll have to go with what is on offer.  Any of the major brands should be OK.     

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Touring

so we're talking in any weathers?

I have a Hein Gerike Master V suit and to be honest it's amazing except in hot weather.

I will not buy a budget or mid range jacket ever again after spending on the premium kit. They last the extra time to warrant the cost and they also are infinitely more comfortable with actual waterproof pockets. If you're looking at premium suits you'll also be getting goretex proshell which is laminated to the top layer of material. This means the top layer doesn't absorb the water so the suit doesn't get heavy and stands a much better chance of being dry before you set off again in the morning.

The latest ride magazine has done reviews on the most expensive kit and they're doing the mid range stuff next month. I'm interested to see what the rating difference is like.

If you can spend the money outright then a good textile suit will be the only one you'll ever need. I used to spend £120ish a year on jackets until I got the Master V and said it had to last 5 years. A year later I bought the trousers to go with it and 3 years on it's still brilliant, having needed rewaterproofing in the wash only once.

If you like leather, Hein Gerike also do a leather proshell suit which has some reflective coating to help out with the hot weather as well as being as good as the master V in the cold and wet.

Just to give you some numbers, I worked out that the master V kept me comfortable during well over an hour journey with windchill down to -21C. It works at that and at +15C (missing, unfortunately the higher temperatures where you sweat like Jill Dando looking for her door keys). If you can find a mid range suit that does that and that well I'm all for it... the best thing is that the tech has got much better in the last 3 years with the lockout zips and the TFL cool tech.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Rukka the best...

Generally Rukka kit is acknowledged to be the best. But at well over £1000 for a pair it should be. Comes with a 5 year warrantee and will probably last three times that. There are plenty of others which are pretty good as in December Ride...
I tend to think that the best kit is Goretex - not because its the best most impervious water resistor (I don't know) but because Goretex insist on certain quality requirements before they will but their name to it - e.g. twin zips etc which ensure that it is easier to close and make waterproof. My cheaper non Goretex stuff just hasn't lasted and lost its proofing...
Before you go to the show, research the topic and think about what you want out of your textiles - I insist on front easy access pockets in my trousers (one for wallet one for phone), a huge overlap between trousers and jacket (I buy the extended trousers with braces as I think they are better at waterproofing. Also this area gets cold quick...) and a fit that allows me to be comfy on my "sports" (ish) bike.
I have a mixed feeling about buying a High Viz coloured suit. Whilst its convenient the material gets filthy fast which means it needs washing (and hence is likely to need proofing) often. I prefer having a separate Hi Viz bib  with a zip that is not in line with my jacket - for additional proofing.
I have bought some kit on EBay and some of it has been very good (and much cheaper).
Size of the gear is important. If you think you will wear them when its cold make sure they fit with all your cold gear on and with the linings in - I find mine are slightly small at this time of year whilst in the summer they are fine.
I'm also tempted to buy a one piece suit but of course with one of those the fit is much more important...
Some bike's seats are slippery for textiles - you might want to check before spending a fortune on textiles or get your seat re-covered if you are effected (Examples are my F800S and a Honda CB500 - Quite a wrestling match to stay on).
Lastly I got a pertex fleece which is great underneath for warmth and wind resistance.

Reply to this Topic
PiageMoore

Nov 11

PiageMoore says:

Re:

Not now

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN