Skip to content

Discuss This Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ryan Eckford  says:

Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy

Marco Simoncelli was a character and a great aggressive rider who was willing to give his all to the cause, even if it meant crashing out of races, or causing controversy. But his talent and success on the track, which included a 250cc World Championship should not be his only legacy. Safety must be improved significantly to prevent incidents like the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 November 2011 15:47)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

"Helmet standards must be improved to make sure it stays on a rider's head even when involved in a heavy collision, and strong enough to absorb a heavy accident, whilst protecting the head from any sort of injury."

Unfortunately there's little you can do to make your neck much stronger & making the helmet more secure would probably end up with the head very nicely protected by the helmet... just a few hundred feet away from the rest of the body.

Marco would have crashed quite normally if he hadn't tried valiantly to save it... you can't blame the tyres for that (or the fact he was one of only 2 riders on the hard compound trying to race guys on soft tyres).

I agree there may be some lessons to be learnt from Marco's accident but in the main the technical aspects have probably already been examined many times over & are under continual review by their respective manufacturers & experts.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

No one could have predicted that sort of impact.

What could be done is ensuring people aren't dropped, as the last two GP fatalites have been.

Wait for the inquest to come out, then something will be done.

RIP Marco Simoncelli number 58.

Reply to this Topic
echoplex

Aug 10

echoplex says:

What a crock

MCN, I can't believe you even published this carp. It is written by somebody who has some very poor journalistic aspirations, but also seems to know nothing about the sport.

Reply to this Topic
SUTTYGP

Oct 08

SUTTYGP says:

Don't talk cack

All too often i hear of the 'dangers of the cold tyre' and here someone is calling for tyres with a longer warm up time so riders go down straight away if they loose the front or rear, mmm, that won't cause any serious injuries -even if there is only 16 bikes taking the start.   Will this be the same for moto2, the forty strong field where poor Tomizawa was sadly lost?   Echoplex has a point, can't believe you published this.  RIP Marco #58

Reply to this Topic
RyanEckford

Nov 11

RyanEckford says:

Guys and girls, it takes a death like this of a great character and person for safety standards to be improved. This was the point I was trying to make. Formula 1 went through this with the death of Senna and safety standards have been improved significantly. It is time motorcycle racing does the same.

Reply to this Topic
toadhancocks

Oct 10

toadhancocks says:

The thing here is that motorcycle racing is inherently more dangerous than any other type of motorsport.  If you start looking into this too much the health&safety "ladder haters" will just try to ban it, simple as!  That is something we cannot have. Racers race, and sometimes get injured, in horrible cases they are killed, unfortunatly this is the nature of the sport we all love (racers and armchair experts).

Ciao #58

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Which famous rider's death prompted the development of airbags for leathers or back protectors or the complex laminate construction used in helmets these days?... Motorcycle safety is in constant review & development... Arai have not been sitting back churning out the same helmet for the last 10 years, they're constantly looking for ways to improve, as are Dainese & Bridgestone & all the other manufacturers.

Ryan, you've pretty much repeated what you wrote in your main article & not addressed any of the points made in the comments... we understand what you're saying, it just doesn't make much sense.

Reply to this Topic
2vforeva

Sep 11

2vforeva says:

No more accidents like Marcos? Ban traction control!

Forget helmet design or body armour, airbags etc. Marco's death was caused by traction control. On any other bike, he would have been highsided. Not a motogp bike. There is so much magic in the ECU for the bike to get itselft sorted out, upright with the wheels going round. Marco was a passenger on his bike till hit by Edwards and Rossi, there is no way he could control the bike. YES a passenger. Not a rider. He was being taken for a ride with only one foot and hand holding on to the bike, and out of control.

So very simple if you do not want accidents like Marco's AND Lorenzo's at Phillip island ban traction control. I would rather see a rider with a broken shoulder, leg or anything than dead!

RIP MARCO

P/S I have highside and bloody hell it hurt, and yes I have broken limbs also.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

When Senna Died...

Everybody was already shocked after Barrichellos big one, which he lived through, and Ratzenburgers, which he didn't.

F1 at this stage had thought that since nobody had died since Elio de Angelis, some 8 years before, it was safe, and standards had not been pushed.

Ratzenburger and Senna were a wake up call in this context. They were also fantastic drivers, Senna being of the greatest, if not the greatest who ever lived.

It was because two people died, and another was involved in a very bad accident, that people realised.

On the friday, Rubens crashes, some how he lives.

On saturday Ratzenburger crashes, and he doesn't.

On sunday Senna, carrying a flag in the car to honour Ratzenburger on the podium, has his 150 mph off, and dies, presumably from impact with the steering column.

There is a huge amount of work going on which is trying to improve safety, cars and bikes, trucks, boats, everywhere.

The fact of the matter is if you are racing at 200 mph inches from someone else doing the same thing, if something goes wrong, your dead.

You can be totally in control one second, hit a small bump in the road, and bang your dead like Francois Cevert. (Jackie stewarts Protege, who would have been tyrell no. 1 the next year.)

Or be in the situation Dan Wheldon was in just 3 weeks ago, something happens with the cars in front, and there is nothing you can do.

12 people have died this year in racing across all disiplines.

1 in Indycar, 1 at the TT, 3 at the Manx GP, 1 in MotoGP, and 5 in sidecars.

Between 1950, the start of the F1 drivers championship, and the deaths of Senna and Ratzenburger, F1 on average lost 1 driver a year.

Why does everybody remember Senna, but nobody remembers Ratzenburger?

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Part two.

RIP:

Dave Neil (Sidecar passenger)

Dan Wheldon (Indycar)

Marco Simocelli (MotoGP)

Adam Easton (Manx GP)

Wayne Hamilton (Manx GP)

Neil Kent (Manx GP)

Benjamin Gautrey (British Superstock)

Derek Brien (IOM TT)

Kevin Morgan and Bill Currie (Sidecar driver and passenger)

I'm fairly sure there are others, I can't find the names of the other two sidecar racers who died. I do hope I'm wrong, and I've got 5 sidecar deaths instead of 3.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices