Skip to content

Discuss This Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ryan Eckford  says:

Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy

Marco Simoncelli was a character and a great aggressive rider who was willing to give his all to the cause, even if it meant crashing out of races, or causing controversy. But his talent and success on the track, which included a 250cc World Championship should not be his only legacy. Safety must be improved significantly to prevent incidents like the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 November 2011 15:47)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

MS 58

Marco's accident was a terrible accident. There was nothing Rossi or Edwards could have done.

From the footage, it could have been that had Marco let it go, he would have lived, but there is no waying of knowing.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Safety advances always follow accidents.

When Dale Earnhardt died, the HANS safety device was introduced in NASCAR.

When Ratzenburger and Senna died, a whole host of changes were made.

When the Nurburgring GP was bocked by the drivers in the 60's Armco was added.

Good does come from accidents, it just takes time.

50 odd years in Camaron Earl's case...

At least nobody goes to a raceday hoping someone dies nowadays, like they used to in the 60's.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

CBR

... & each of those improvements were fairly easy to identify... times have moved on & so has safety... the suggestions so far have been to have helmets that are so secure they'll cause decapitation, tyres that giveway without any warning & a ban on TC which will result in more possibly less serious accidents but might have saved Simo's life rather than suggesting an improvement... the lack of TC actually was the cause of Tomizawa's Moto2 accident as he spun up on the paint & drifted onto the astroturf & was hit so similarly by 2 following riders... Craig Jones's fatal accident in 2008 was also the result of a spin up on the gas onto the finish straight, so there's arguments each way... it's certainly not clear cut.

I know for my ride on the road I would not welcome any of these safety improvements but I can't think of any others implemented in racing which wouldn't be of benefit in normal life.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Simo's hair might have been a contributory factor, as the bulk of it may have led to him needing a larger size, and hence while being perfect for "normal" helmet use, meant that under the impact he suffered, it simply came off.

Yes, those were easy to identify, the Ratzenburger/Senna point being raised earlier anyway. There are others, but it took 10 seconds to think of those, and they were enough to make the point.

I could list more.

Making the helmets more secure would affect more than just the likelyhood of decapitation, although that would be the main risk.

doing that would have to require stronger necks to cope with the forces involved, and to do it articially would reduce the riders control in some way, no matter how you tried it. You can do it in car racing because the neck doesn't move, it just needs to be stronger to cope with the lateral acceleration.

Wait for the inquest that will have to come out eventually.

Improving the tyres would take a whole lot of effort, and making them giveway straight away would be a bad thing to do, they need to be providing feel of what is happening with the track, not taking it away.

I agree, there is always more that can be done, but the easy way out is to stop racing, and people don't want that.

Considering nearly all of the track fatalities have involved more than 1 person, why not make everything a time trial?

That would be a easy way out, but would spoil the show, and, since this is a entertainment based thing, that would lead to no racing eventually, as the money goes.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Safety improvements filter down from racing to the road, most of the time. (Neck braces in road cars have not, same with helmets.)

Personally, there are safety improvements I wouldn't want from the track on the road, because they are for specific situations in racing. Drag racing safety nets come to mind, as while necessary to stop vehicles doing 300 plus mph, is out of place.

Similarly, TC has its place, if it gets to the point where you are using it regularly on the road, your riding style is probably far too aggressive, but it should be there as a safety net just in case, same with ABS.

Sometimes you can complete entire journeys lasting hundreds of miles using very little braking.

What you don't want is a nanny state electronic aid system, because for road use, there will be someone who will rely on it, and a mechanical failure, or a electric issue could remove it entirely, and then the manufacture gets sued, whih they don't want.

Its why Combined ABS systems have to be non switchable, because some idiot will turn them off, crash, and complain that they should have saved them, even though they turned it off !!

And I definately don't want a rear brake that activates the front, because that in a foreseeable everyday situation could cause a drop. (Gravel driveway)

using the front brake on gravel was the cause of my first bike incident. (Not accident, there is a difference. I recognise when it was my fault for not remembering what the instructor said the day before.)

Reply to this Topic
bomber46

Aug 10

bomber46 says:

safety

HELMETS ARE MADE TO AVERY HIGH STANDARD AND OFF THE BEST ITEMS TO MAKE THEM, THEY CARRY THE A.C.U  STAMP AND TESTED BEFORE THEY ARE USED FOR SUCH SPORT OR ON ANY ROAD OR RACEWAY. NO MATTER WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN THAT SITEUATION THE HELMET WOULD HAVE STILL HAVE COME OFF IF NOT TAKING THE PERSONS HEAD OFF WHICH IS NOT NICE .YOU CAN NOT WRAP THEM UP IN COTTON WOOL.ACCENDENTS DO HAPPEN WE CAN NOT STOP THEM NO MATTER WHAT SAFETY KIT IS WORNE TO HELP PREVENT THIS.....R..I..P MARCO WILL BE SADLEY MISSED, SHANE

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Had the strap on his helmet been stronger, instead of the helmet coming off, he may well have been decapitated instead, such were the forces involved.

Trying to stop this sort of accident is rediculous, it can't be done, except to send the riders out one at a time and just rely on lap times like in qualifying, just like I said would happen after Moaner and Lozenger moaned about Marco a few races ago!!

Reply to this Topic
fockyerdoder

Sep 11

fockyerdoder says:

There is no way

to protect motorcycle racers from deadly crashes with 100% probability. Well, except for banning motorcycles. Freak accidents like the one that happened to Sic can happen anytime when racing. If you can't accept that just feck off and go watch something else. Some things are more dangerous than others. The riders and everyone else involved are well aware of that.

Think of it like you think of astronauts. They are heroes. They are celebrated. And if they have fatal accidents everyone is sad. But in the end everyone knows that their job can't be done without the ultimate risk.

Reply to this Topic
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Give credit only when it's due.

If we want to make racing safer, let’s start by not telling riders they are better than they actually are.  I put much of the blame for the accident back on the shoulders of the commentators, reporters and persons on this forum, who have raved on and on about how great Simo was when really, the stats didn't match the hype.  Certainly no disrespect intended, but by reading or hearing some of the news reports, perhaps Simo started to believe the press, and thought that he was actually as good as Pedrosa, Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner and could match it with them.      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

It's a dangerous sport

Safety at tracks is now the best it has ever been and the huge run off areas alone are a very big factor in this, allowing the fallen riders to come to rest.

Marco’s crash was fatal because of the high speeds involved and the fact he was hit almost immediately without anything having the chance to slow down. SuperSic was on the widest track of the year but his accident was more like the sort of crash we road riders have as well as the guys racing the TT etc. As soon as we lose control we are likely to hit something very solid (like a kerb, wall, central reservation, car etc) long before we get chance to naturally come to rest.

It was a very rare incident in the way it happened with track racers but I believe it was just a tragic accident which nobody could have done anything about.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices