Skip to content

Discuss This Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ryan Eckford  says:

Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy

Marco Simoncelli was a character and a great aggressive rider who was willing to give his all to the cause, even if it meant crashing out of races, or causing controversy. But his talent and success on the track, which included a 250cc World Championship should not be his only legacy. Safety must be improved significantly to prevent incidents like the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 November 2011 15:47)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

The Reason Simo died...

... was that he got hit by two bikes going very quickly, one of which wacked him in the middle, and the other hit his head.

I would be suprised if the helmet stayed on under that sort of impact.

Had it happened with nobody else around, he would be still alive, having lowsided or highsided like he did earlier in the season. There was a small chance he could have got it back.

At the end of the day Simo's crash was a freak accident, made tragic due to the fact he was infront of other riders this time, and the bike regained grip, and took him round into Edwards and Rossi.

He would have been MotoGP champion, the 1000's would suit him, and he would be on a very good starting point already.

There is always more that can be done, but in this situation, he was a passenger, and there is not a lot a passenger can do.

Reply to this Topic
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Doubt it CBRJGWRR

He would never have been a Champion while ever Pedrosa, Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner and even Dovi are still racing. As I said a few posts back, unfortunately it's typical comments like your last one that possibly helped put him where he is today.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Slorta...

You've made your point & now repeated it... you have no evidence other than your opinion & I don't think you'll find many who would agree with you. He'd already proved himself to be one of the best riders in the world (world titles don't come easy you know) & he was well qualified to be riding in the company that he was with the accolades that accompany that role.

I hope you don't feel the need to repeat yourself again... we know where you stand on the subject... please let it rest.

Reply to this Topic
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Some homework needed Hedgehog

You also made your point and repeated it.  Bit hypocritical isn’t it ?

I have no evidence ????  On the countless occasions that  Lorenzo, Pedrosa, Stoner, Rossi, Dovi and Simoncelli have raced together in the past 9 years, Simoncelli has never ever won a race against any of the top 4, and has only ever beaten Dovi once back in 2004. That’s not an opinion.

I agree however  that he deserved to be in MotoGP, and I also agree with you comment that you cannot blame the tyres.  Where we would disagree is that his racing history shows that he only had the skills to ‘RACE’ with the mid pack riders, and to be on hards and to race against softs, you will say gutsy, I would say stupid.

~

[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Slorta...

"I put much of the blame for the accident back on the shoulders of the commentators, reporters and persons on this forum"

I meant you have no evidence that the accident was caused by Simo believing the press or fans... just your opinion... which you explained... then repeated without any elaboration 2 posts later.

"As I said a few posts back, unfortunately it's typical comments like your last one that possibly helped put him where he is today."

You accuse people on this forum of contributing to Simoncelli's death then repeat your accusation with no evidence for your opinion... nice one... & you still won't let it lie.

You're entitled to your opinion, however unsupported, but do you really think voicing it in a forum on a motorcycle press website, both of whom you're accusing of indirect manslaughter, is a good idea?... troll or flamer?

Almost every one of your previous posts has been a dig at Simoncelli... we get it... you don't like the guy or think he deserved the ride. You'll be pleased to know he won't be riding again.

You've effectively walked into a pub & accused the landlord & many of the regulars of contributing to the death of the guy who brewed one of the best beers in the world... were you expecting to be served a pint?

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

@Slorta

Your comments about SuperSic not being able to compete with the top boys is BS* In the past he may have been beaten - but you fail to account for a few things - a) equipment, b) riders can IMPROVE, c) the team. All the top riders (Rossi, Casey, Jorge, etc) have certain key team members - do you know for a fact Sic had found his winning combo yet? Or are you just spurting more bollocks out your behind?

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

PS) Slorta

Are you also insinuating that non of the top 5 or so riders should be pushing hard, and that the pressure to try and perform caused Sic's untimely accident and death? If so then you are no racing fan at all.

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

Finally - the article

Helmet design improvements, innovation in leathers and gloves and boots... hey I am all for it! But having tyres that grip less?? This is a safety suggestion?? Come ON!!!

Reply to this Topic
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Hedgehog

You can't go cutting and pasting 1/2 a sentence out of my post. Have you ever heard of taking things out of context. 

Who said I didn't like the guy.  Your words not mine.  How could you not like the bloke.  He had a personality, he was funny and genuine. And who said he didn't deserve to be there ?  Again your words not mine. Of course he deserved to be in MotoGP.   He has proven to be one of the quickest out there in qualifying.  Trouble is, MotoGP isn't a drag race. You have to be able to race in a pack, know your limits and respect other riders. 

I don't know if you're a dad or not Hedgehog but you don't keep telling your kid over and over that he is the best at his particular sport, even if he is, otherwise he gets a big head. You play his talents down a bit to keep his feet on the ground.  

It was all a great tragedy.

BTW. the landlord, beers and pints bit.....you lost me there.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Slorta...

"Who said I didn't like the guy."

Slorta - "Simonchelli, I dunno why you are all rav’n on about this ‘one lap wonder’. It’s one thing to be able to put in one fast lap, it’s another to be able to do it lap after lap after lap, and another to do it in traffic.  And this dickhead can’t do it."

Slorta - "The bloke is a pretender."

Slorta - "Your words not mine."

... & how can...

"I put much of the blame for the accident back on the shoulders of the commentators, reporters and persons on this forum"

... be taken out of context?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle