Skip to content

Discuss This Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Ryan Eckford  says:

Improved safety must be Simoncelli's legacy

Marco Simoncelli was a character and a great aggressive rider who was willing to give his all to the cause, even if it meant crashing out of races, or causing controversy. But his talent and success on the track, which included a 250cc World Championship should not be his only legacy. Safety must be improved significantly to prevent incidents like the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 November 2011 15:47)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Hey Stalker

You've only cut and pasted 1/2 the sentence.  Who's the dickhead now. Sorry, I didn't realise I'm having a discussion with a stalker that sifts through peoples posts and cuts and pastes only the bits he wants to to make a point.  

The dickhead comment was after he completely ruined Dani's chances at the title.  I was angry, like Dani, and now take the comment back. 

The dickhead crown now sits firmly on your head.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Slorta...

"I put much of the blame for the accident back on the shoulders of the commentators, reporters and persons on this forum, who have raved on and on about how great Simo was when really, the stats didn't match the hype. "

Nope... don't see how that changes the context... read the whole post... still the same.

... & now you're resorting to name calling... why am I not surprised?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Now that wasn't hard was it !

I put the blame on the ones that raved on and on etc, etc...  Not on every commentator, only the ones that raved on and on .......much like you are doing now. 

Looks like that crown is well and truly fixed to that head of your now hey. 

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Slorta

We will never know now.

Anyway, Rossi thought very highly of him, and so did Carl Fogarty, and many other world champions. This was his second season in MotoGP, and in his Rookie year he was 8th, half way through the field. He had a podium, and he could of had more for certain.

You can teach a fast person who crashes to stop crashing, but you can't teach a slow person to be fast.

Simo was fast, he needed to stop crashing, which was what he was doing . He was finishing more races, getting a better understanding of where to press on, and where not to.

The bike is responsible for 90% of the performance. The difference is in the rider or driver, to take it over the edge. Simo would have been champion, now we will never know.

Do you really think a MotoGP rider gives a toss about what somebody writes on the internet? I doubt it.

For all I know, you could be Rossi. Or you could be somebody with no ability whatsoever. Or, you both could be the same person, or even more weird, we all could be the same person, but that would make little sense as I only have one account on here.

Either way...

Besides no one knows what could of happened. How do you know if he wasn't going to win every race next year?

Reply to this Topic
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Agree CBR

Agree with everything you said CBR and yep, unfortunately we will never know.  Perhaps he may have won every race next year, perhaps Cal Crutchlow will, who really knows.  Some riders had a high opinion of him and thought he was talented, some didn't and thought he was reckless.  But based on some of your posts, you are into stats and you must admit that he had 9 years to get some decent runs on the board and only came up with a championship win after the others had all left.  Maybe his size did impede his performance on smaller bikes.  But if we say that, then Dani's size should do the same on a bigger bike which doesn't seem to be happening. 

My very first point was 'Give credit only when it's due'.  I just hope the press etc do this to other up and coming riders in the future.  

Poor old Bradley Smith has only got to fart and the commentators think it's a sign from God. 

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Slorta...

I said "You accuse people on this forum" not all the people & there have been plenty of articles in MCN hailing the skills of Marco for them to slip into your category (if nothing more than accolading the "brilliant" single laps that you so derided him for). I may have taken a snippet from your post which could have been misconstrued by someone who hadn't read it (& I hold my hands up & apologise for that) but I most certainly didn't argue my point out of context with your original post. Only 2 posts later you take issue with the next person to speculate on Simoncelli's potential.

CBRJGWRR's post "He would have been MotoGP champion, the 1000's would suit him, and he would be on a very good starting point already."

... is hardly "raving on and on" but you accused him of posting the sort of thing that possibly put him where he is today all the same. It's an opinion, like yours, but one that doesn't accuse anyone of being guilty of contributing to the death of a rider who proved himself to be one of the best in the world.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Hedgehog

Lets just all agree to disagree.  We all have our favourites for one reason or another and I reckon we are all lucky that the sport we love is generally full of good blokes.  Some forum members misread Dani's shyness as arrogance, or see Jorge as a smart arse when apparently he is the funniest bloke in the paddock.  Casey is always getting a serve but tell me a rider who gives us fans more information about the bike setup and problems after a race. He always spill his guts to us fans with info about the bike.  

None of us want to see the same sort of accident happen again and I feel that building up a riders confidence before its due is a mistake.

Sorry and about the dickhead comment. Please consider it as a bit of banta.  There is hardly a day goes by that a mate doesn't call me a dickhead but we still have a beer together. 

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Well...

The 90% stat was from a lecturer who worked with Honda in the1990's, so it is probably out of date by now.

My posts were written with sadness - This is the industry I will be working in in a few years, and the fact that 12 people have died in racing this year rather makes you wonder...

(Two people have died in Argentinian national series, which I only found out about a few days ago, both in cars.)

At least I can't find the other fatalities I thought there were for sidecars.

At least this topic ends nicely.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Motorsport is Dangerous

I respectfully disagree. Nothing could be done to prevent such an accident happening other than the rider letting go and lowsiding, which didn't happen here. It appears Marco tried to hold on and save the lowside when the tyres suddenly regripped. Putting the riders on lower grip tyres or tyres that take a while to warm up will only cause more accidents. A helmet can only help to prevent facial and cranial grazing and does not absorb much of a spike force. They certainly can't take the sudden load of a rider and bike going over it at 110 mph. The fact is that motorsport entails the transfer of huge amounts of energy and when this energy is suddenly imparted onto the body of a rider, there will be a threshold level beyond which the rider will die. Kinetic energy increases according to the square of the speed of the object. It's just the laws of physics at play. In MotoGP the last few deaths were freak accidents which would unlikely be replicated. Kato's fatal accident could not have been prevented and neither could Simo's in my opinion. As long as men choose to go at speeds over 100 m/s wearing a piece of kangaroo skin over their backs, there will be fatalities and injuries.

Reply to this Topic
aardvark67

May 10

aardvark67 says:

"Tyres I think need to have a little less grip and/or a slower warm up period" - really? This is exactly the opposite of what the riders have been saying and asking for all year.

"...go down straight away if the rider loses the front or rear end of the bike, instead of gripping up and running into the path of traffic" - this has happened exactly once in MotoGP this season, tragically in the case of Marco and was more a case of his sheer determination and fight not letting him let go of the bike and actively trying to pick it back up again rather than tyre characteristics.

"I know present and former riders have said nothing could be done to prevent this disaster, but we must not have this attitude if we want to prevent riders from dying or being seriously injured in these terrible accidents" - do not make the mistake of thinking that former and current riders have no interest in safety. Stating that there was nothing that could have been done does not represent a laissez-faire attitude to safety. No-one takes that more seriously than those who climb aboard the bikes.

There is a greater argument that Tomizawa's crash should bring into focus safety, specifically that of circuit run-off areas.

Yes, MotoGP and the wider fans will and should take a lot from Marco's life, his passion and his spirit, but to suggest that his death carries culpability or signals a failing in safety measures is wrong

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices